Should HTC make thier own screens? HTC & Samsung at odds?

gabrielzorz

May 27, 2010
Visit site
With all the news of logistics problems that HTC is having with their AMOLED screens, I couldn't help but wonder. Could HTC be at odds with Samsung right now, and could Verizon be giving HTC heat for not being able to meet demand? What does this mean for future hardware development? HTC must be reviewing it's supply strategy and scratching their heads at how this happened. What do you think if HTC were to start manufacturing their own displays? Is it even possible?

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I think they should stick to what they currently do. It's working. This whole display deal was a small snag. Just means they need to pay a little extra in order to get the best parts.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Electronics manufacturing worldwide is suffering from shortages. Recently, I had to wait over a month for backordered HP Ink, 3 weeks for backordered Linksys switches and a month for backordered MS Office... MS Office!

The crash took everyone by surprise and all the manufacturing plants laid-off big time to compensate for a sudden disappearance in orders. They have been reluctant to re-hire as quickly and now we’re seeing backorders pile up everywhere.

Samsung is a HUGE operation with specialized subsidiaries making circuits, displays and other components as well as full products. I’m not sure HTC has the financial clout to take on display R&D/Design and manufacturing in addition to the current design and development of communications devices. (I’m sure Foxconn or someone like that actually does the fab.)

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Electronics manufacturing worldwide is suffering from shortages. Recently, I had to wait over a month for backordered HP Ink, 3 weeks for backordered Linksys switches and a month for backordered MS Office... MS Office!

The crash took everyone by surprise and all the manufacturing plants laid-off big time to compensate for a sudden disappearance in orders. They have been reluctant to re-hire as quickly and now we?re seeing backorders pile up everywhere.

Samsung is a HUGE operation with specialized subsidiaries making circuits, displays and other components as well as full products. I?m not sure HTC has the financial clout to take on display R&D/Design and manufacturing in addition to the current design and development of communications devices. (I?m sure Foxconn or someone like that actually does the fab.)

All of that, and Apple is gobbling up everything they can at the moment. From memory to screens, Apple will take it all.

flyawaymike

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
All of that, and Apple is gobbling up everything they can at the moment. From memory to screens, Apple will take it all.

It'll all work out eventually. Supplies will come back in higher numbers, and from more sources. The end product will become more consumable and others will compete with Apple at a lower price. The consumer will win in the end.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It'll all work out eventually. Supplies will come back in higher numbers, and from more sources. The end product will become more consumable and others will compete with Apple at a lower price. The consumer will win in the end.

The consumer wins in the end as long as the consumer is spending. If the consumer is not spending, or spending significantly less, then manufacturing will never be able to keep up with spike supply demand, regardless of the industry. They just won?t have the manpower/resources to keep up with the spikes.

We're living Adam Smith 101 with a shot of Marx to keep the banks afloat.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times? We?re not really that far off.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Definitely. But, for the time being, Apple is a giant consumer of anything tech.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I assume phones run along the same tracks as TVs, and if that's the case, the screens/panels are only manufactured by 2 or 3 companies, which license them through other distribution channels and through other companies (such as the Samsung/HTC relationship). So, its doubtful HTC will ever jump on that wagon, as its not in their expertise range. A lot of cash would have to go into R&D, setting up manufacturing, quality assurance, etc, etc (as others have said). Not to mention being years behind the big boys/current producers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37