View Poll Results: are you rooted?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes!!

21 25.93%
  • no

60 74.07%
    I am not rooted just want to know who is and why are the main perks of rooting and is it worth it
    07-27-2010 05:58 PM
    nope, maybe some day. But I won't do it until I have a specific reason.
    07-27-2010 05:59 PM
    I love electronics. I love hacking on my computer from time to time, but to me, my phone is just a phone that has a lot of features. For a phone user, I'm just the "casual user". No need to mess with anything. Atleast not at this point.
    07-27-2010 06:06 PM
    I am not rooted just want to know who is and why are the main perks of rooting and is it worth it
    Here.

Let Me Google That For You
    07-27-2010 06:31 PM
    If you have an Android phone and don't root, you are cheating yourself.
    07-27-2010 06:45 PM
    What's the main benefit? Just customizing different menus and boot screens? I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to the art of rooting.
    07-27-2010 07:55 PM
    Froyo is (reportedly) due out almost any day, now. Think I'll wait and root after the update, if that is going to still be possible.
    07-28-2010 09:21 AM
    Rooted, but will be unrooting for the froyo update. May reroot after that depending on if I really miss it that much.
    07-28-2010 10:10 AM
    I dont see the point in rooting at this time.
    07-28-2010 12:40 PM
    rooting makes no sense to me if all it does is get rid of the forced Verizon apps
    07-28-2010 12:48 PM
    I dont see the point in rooting at this time.
    rooting makes no sense to me if all it does is get rid of the forced Verizon apps
    Does anyone follow links?

Here.

What Does Root Give Me?
    1.Full control over your system
    2.Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    Themes
    Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    Recovery image
    Bootloader
    Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    Boot images
    Add linux binaries
    3.Run special apps that need more control over the system
    SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4.Backup your system
    You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5.Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6.Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7.Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)
    07-28-2010 12:52 PM
    Oh and dont forget that now you can install FroYo
    07-28-2010 12:56 PM
    The only reason I have not rooted yet is my dinc is a corporate phone. I might be able to justify it if I can prove that the vpn apps work. Is anyone using any of the vpn apps to connect to a cisco vpn?
    07-28-2010 07:58 PM
    free wifi tether and easy screenshots. that's worth the five minutes it takes to plug my phone into my computer and run one program.
    07-28-2010 08:14 PM
    I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to root, even if root only gave me free wifi tethering I would do it.

Now rooting it so easy even a caveman could do it.
    07-28-2010 08:23 PM
    It satisfies the inner geek.

More seriously, I had Froyo before the leak came out because I was rooted...I can do a more complete backup of my phone because I am rooted...and because when it comes to computers, I like living large.
    07-28-2010 08:34 PM
    I'm going to hold out at least until the expected Froyo update. I know I could get it now, but from what I've read on XDA, there are some issues that I'd rather not deal with. It took me a while to unlock and load a different ROM on my Touch Pro, I imagine I'll live with stock Android for a while as well. Sense doesn't bother me and it's not worth it just to get rid of CityID.
    07-28-2010 08:39 PM
    Rooting gets you to do this:

HATED that sense unlock
    07-28-2010 09:16 PM
    So if rooted you can wireless tether meaning use your phones wifi to connect your laptop to the internet? i dont get it your laptop will obviously get wifi if your phone does? i see the significance of 3g tethering since if you do not have wifi you can use your phones 3g. sorry for the (im sure) newb question
    07-28-2010 09:30 PM
    So if rooted you can wireless tether meaning use your phones wifi to connect your laptop to the internet? i dont get it your laptop will obviously get wifi if your phone does? i see the significance of 3g tethering since if you do not have wifi you can use your phones 3g. sorry for the (im sure) newb question
    Yes.
    07-28-2010 09:56 PM
    Rooting gets you to do this:

HATED that sense unlock
    You know you can get that by using WidgetLocker too right?
    07-29-2010 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD