I want Froyo now

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My wife's dinc has been fubar'd the last couple of days. It gets really hot and the battery dies in about 30 minutes. I uninstalled all the apps she recently installed or I don't use and it was still doing it. I was hopeful it was like warming up for some froyo ota maybe....

Well, I call tech support, and i asked about system restoring...they said "might be worth a try." I thought I would leverage this situation and say "would it be worth the restore, or could she just hang on until the OTA update, and hope that might fix it. you know if its due out this week or soemthing?"

Let me check he says.

Click clack clickity clack clack

And my answer.....

"Sir, I don't have any indication of any OTA updates coming out in the near future in my information database."

Drats

FramCire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Nobody at VZW knows when the update will come out except for those in charge of testing when the tests are passed. Even then, they only know that it is in the hands of HTC/VZW

Everyone else is speculating.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I got Froyo last night! (Skyraider ROM) it's perfect. If the official is half as good there will be a lot of very happy people.

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was once like most of you. Waking up each morning to check to see if "today is the day". I was yearning for Froyo. I wanted all the Froyo goodness other people got. Sure, everyone told me just to root and I could have it, yet I was scared to do it just like you guys. Then one day I woke up and I had had it. I was fed up. Sick of waiting for Verizon. Sick of having to look at stupid useless software that I wasn't able to delete. Sick of not having a choice in what software I run, and sick of not being able to use MY device like I wanted to.

So I decided to root my device. I put my fears aside(mostly fear of the unknown. I knew what was going to happen, but didn't know how), got the reflash tool from unrevoked, and pushed the run button. Sure there is some risk involved, but in truth I was making mountains out of molehills as far as that was concerned. The process was fast, painless, and required very little user input at all. Now, I have never loved my Incredible as much as I do now. I feel free with it, and really can use it the way I should be able to-- however I want. I've tried a few different ROMs(lovin' Froyo!), removed ridiculous software Verizon tried to shove down my throat, and have access to some pretty cool apps I couldn't use before I rooted.

So, anyway, this isn't me saying "if your gonna complain just root", or anything like that. Just saying, I was once scared to root too. Scared of the unknown, scared I would brick my phone, scared it would be all buggy or never run the same again. Or that I would get caught by Big Red, etc. But if you are on the fence, just throw caution to the wind and go for it! With the unrevoked too, rooting couldn't be simpler! Rooting and using custom ROMs are separate. You can root and still use the exact same version of software you are using now if you don't want to use someone elses ROM. You can always "unroot". If you do try a custom rom and don't like it, it only takes 1 click to go back to your original(as long as you backed it up!) So yea, rooting is not as scary as it seems, and I must say, it is freaking awesome! I will make sure that I have root on every single device I use if it is possible! There is no reason I shouldn't have total access to my phone if I want it. I love rooting and ROMing :) I have always been one anxiously awaiting every update. I would send emails to Verizon and HTC asking when it was. I woould send other emails yelling and asking why there wasn't at least any info on when to expect the update. But now, I actually don't really check that much. I'm not that anxious. If it comes today, cool(I am looking forward to new ROMs based on the OTA, but with no bloat and more control), but if not, oh well. I have Froyo and a cool phone set up exactly how I want it so I can wait. Meh, cool story bro :p LoL sorry, got carried away, but that's my story anyway.

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
Havent you done this multiple times this thread??

Id die for Phineus and Ferb..... my kids are into SpongeBob, iCarly, Victorious, and Big Time Rush...... not horrible but I am sick of them..... I want to watch SpongeFro SquareYo, Froyorious, iFroyoly, and Big Time Froyosh!

Twice. I did it twice and not going to do it again. It was a way of bumping the thread with a little twist of humor. Can't wait to be able to watch Phineas and Ferb on my phone at work.

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooting if not here by saturday. That means I need someone to send a link on how to root in the meantime....anyone??? anyone??? Buehler?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey I heard the UPDATE is coming in late July or early August...so it must have come out already and no one knows, because I consider us in Mid August now...

Kratzer

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok couple of questions here: How long does the root/ reflash / custom rom thing take? and what img are people having best luck with?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi Kratzer - The whole process took about 40 minutes, but I had to go back to stock and then install the OTA. After that I used Unrevoke and installed ROM Manager. The best ROM I have used to date is Sky Raider 2.2.

romma

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this article is completely for real? Anyone want to track it down and confirm? I am busy at work... This article was published today... 8/11

Google Updates Android for Some HTC, Motorola Phones - Mobiledia

Google is rolling out Android updates to the Evo and Incredible from HTC and the Droid from Motorola, adding extra features such as mobile hotspot functionality and Flash support.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company said the smartphones will get the new software, Android 2.2, dubbed "Froyo," in the next few days.

The software has new improvements, including speedier application performance, a faster Web browser, tethering -- to turn the device into a mobile hotspot unit -- and support for Adobe's Flash 10.1.

"Android 2.2 is a minor platform release including user features, developer features, API changes and bug fixes," Google said in a statement.

The company, which first announced Android 2.2 back in May, said owners will automatically receive a notification asking if they would like to upgrade their software.

The release coincides with the launch of the Droid 2, Motorola's latest Android-powered device for Verizon.

Last edited:

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What happens to root once the Inc is upgraded to 2.2. Will there be any adavantage to rooting?

If you accept the OTA upgrade, you will lose root until/unless a new rooting procedure is found. If you root now, you can choose to stay rooted and wait for one of the developers out there to create a ROM off of the official update. Or you can go ahead and accept the OTA update, whichever you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781