Help with Pink Screen Issue

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Droid Incredible and was browsing the forums for hints, tips, etc. I stumbled upon the threads that mentioned the "pink screen" issue and I started to get worried about my unit. I read that this phenomenon is most visible with the brightness turned down, so I did some testing and took some pictures that I would like to share (I apologize if the pics aren't of the best quality).

Here's the screen brightness at 0%:

View attachment 2430

View attachment 2431

View attachment 2432

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's the Brightness at 50%

View attachment 2438

View attachment 2439

View attachment 2440

I didn't bother with the higher brightness levels as the pinkish look seems to go away. Also, please disregard the big circle in the middle of the pictures. This is the reflection of my camera lens (the darn screen is quite reflective, isn't it?) The questions I have are:

Is the hue at the 0% and 25% level normal? (I don't have anything to compare it to).

If it is not normal, is it considered bad and should I try to replace with a new phone.

I'm no expert at this, so this is why I'm asking you guys. Thanks for the help!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you still within 30 days? If so I'd go for a new phone. That screen does not look anything like mine.

I can definately see the pink you are refering to. Not normal.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got the phone last week, so I'm within my 30 days. The difficulty may be trying to find a unit that's OK; It seems like this is a common issue.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen it blowing up the threads. There may be some issues but if you are within 30 days you should get a new device rather then a refurb. You should be good.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get a new device lined up.

Do you mind posting some pics of your screen for comparison?

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will hurt anything, just be a annoyance if you run low screen brightness.
My wife's Dinc seems to have this a little but mine doesn't.
I understand that the manufaturing of the Organic LED components can have result in some minor color differences.
**However, it should have been calibrated at the factory for proper color balance....seems like the HTC QA/QC department might have been sleeping!
I run my screen brightness up the whole way on my Dinc as I haven't seen and benefit to running it lower and have actually seen worse battery life running on Auto brightness. Like Ronco says "set it and forget it" LOL

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you need reference shots quickly, take a look at the screen shots thread. There are loads of them there with no pink.

Thanks, will do.

Do you still mind though posting screenshots at the lower brightness levels on your phone (0%, 25%)? Thanks!

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will hurt anything, just be a annoyance if you run low screen brightness.
My wife's Dinc seems to have this a little but mine doesn't.
I understand that the manufaturing of the Organic LED components can have result in some minor color differences.
**However, it should have been calibrated at the factory for proper color balance....seems like the HTC QA/QC department might have been sleeping!
I run my screen brightness up the whole way on my Dinc as I haven't seen and benefit to running it lower and have actually seen worse battery life running on Auto brightness. Like Ronco says "set it and forget it" LOL

So, the screen on your Dinc has no pink at all when on low brightness (25% or below)?

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Update

I went into the Verizon store to see how my phone compared to other Incredibles. Interestingly, the display model did not have the pink hue, but looked a bit "green". Still, not the same as my phone.

I showed my phone to a tech and he couldn't quite follow. I asked if one of the other reps. had an Incredible to compare with and we found one. Sure enough, when set on auto brightness, my grays started to warm up a bit compared with the rep's Incredible. The Verizon guys agreed that this wasn't normal, however, they had no Incredibles in stock. Since mine is on a corporate account, they will have to ship one out to me.

Needless to say, I'm nervous that the other phone won't be any better, but I will take both phones into the Verizon store and compare them side by side with one of the techs. Just keeping my fingers crossed!

Jas781

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
There have been lots of reports on this, but the bottom line is that it cannot be more than just a trick of the eye. Sometimes snow can seem to have a green or pink tint. The same thing has happened to me, and many others, on this phone, snow, anything you can look at that is pure white. Such a phenomenon occurs with anything pure white.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point. However, do you see what I am seeing in the pictures that I posted? If you and others can see it from an objective photograph (or in person as the Verizon guys did), I don't know if I can say it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It is a pink hue and some phones are worse than others. I am going to say 3 out of 4 have a pink hue.

I read earlier this may be a software issue but I do not know.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced this issue, and I'm about to give up on it.

My first Incredible had a massive green tint out of the box; it was extremely noticeable.
I called up VZW and they sent me a replacement and that one had a noticeable red/pink tint (though nowhere as bad as the green tint on my first one.) I called them up again and they sent me another replacement. This time, it's still slightly pink, but less so. It's more neutral, but the tint varies dramatically depending on brightness setting. It also seems every progressive Incredible I've gotten has been dimmer and dimmer, and this one almost seems like it has a yellow tint because of the relatively low brightness. Still, it has the least noticeable red tint out of the three at certain brightness settings.

It's not my eyes playing tricks on me, as I have a perfectly calibrated NEC 2490WUXI here that I use for photo work, and I even took pictures of the phones to compare in Photoshop; the numbers match up with what I'm seeing.

I really don't know if I want to deal with them again for a 4th Incredible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante