Closing the Browser

nitrusoxide

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
OK this is a super newbie question, but I just can't figure it out. I'm browsing the internet on my Incredible and I want to close the browser application. I've read about how you go to Menu --> Windows and close out the open windows, but if you only have one window open I don't see anywhere to close it out. So apart from clicking the back button a bunch of times to get back to the Google homepage and then close it out that way, how do I close it?

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thats how you "close" it. I don't know the exact terms but google manages the apps in a way that when they are not "open" when you move away from the program. You dont even have to hit back to the homescreen, you can simply just hit the Home button. Unlike blackberry, where your phone will freeze and slow if you don't close the apps, Android stores the App in memory.

Im sure someone will post a more understandable explanation, just got to work and I need my coffee. ;)

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So if I just hit the home button it will do the same thing as hitting back all the way to the homescreen?

Yes, there is no need to hit back unless you wanna go back to the previous screen.

Some programs do have the "exit" function. I know when i hit "back" out of my dolphin hd browser it asks if I want to to exit, but its not necessary......... as also the MLB At Bat 2010 app also has a "quit" option in its menu.

bark8015

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The difference I've noticed between hitting "back" repeatedly and hitting "Home" is that when you hit "Home", the next time you open the browser you will go back to the last site you were on. Hitting "back" to exit should cause your browser to show the home page the next time you launch it.

I stress should because about 20% of the time my browser will still start at one of the pages I was on previously, but not my home page.

e: this is using the stock browser. I don't have a 3rd party browser installed.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I manage on the browser is to make sure I close the extra windows I might have open. To do that just hit the menu button in the browser then close any extra Windows you have open.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The difference I've noticed between hitting "back" repeatedly and hitting "Home" is that when you hit "Home", the next time you open the browser you will go back to the last site you were on. Hitting "back" to exit should cause your browser to show the home page the next time you launch it.

I stress should because about 20% of the time my browser will still start at one of the pages I was on previously, but not my home page.

e: this is using the stock browser. I don't have a 3rd party browser installed.

And that's why I press back all the way

nitrusoxide

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
OK thanks for the information. I was worried that just hitting the home button would leave the browser running and use more battery, but I guess unless you're using a task killer the browser will remain open anyway.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
If anyone is looking for a different browser, I would recommend Dolphin HD. The UI is extremely easy and fast to use.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hitting "home" does not exit the browser; think of it as "minimizing" in Windows. Hitting back until you get to the original home page, then once more to get to the Home screen, is the functional equivalent -- it does not exit, it only reverts to your home page and then "minimizes" the browser.

Neither of these options has any effect whatever on the phone's performance. Flash and Javascript elements are halted when the browser is not running in the foreground (find a flash video and hit the home button mid-playback, you'll see; or this).

However, I like to start all my browsing sessions from my home page - that's why its the home page! If I'm knee-deep in a browsing session, hitting back a million times is a waste of time -- I just open a new window to the homepage, then close out the old window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol