Incredible is rebooting all the time

kramerjm#CB

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am using an out of the box Droid Incredible using OS2.1. I have had it for the since May. In the last month it has started spontaneously rebooting. The frequency of this is increasing.

I haven't really added any apps but have been keeping up to date with application upgrades. I am suspicious that a newly updated app is misbehaving.

Is there any way to identify what processes or applications running when the reboot occurs?

Any way to view a list of applications and their last update date. I can start removing in reverse chron from this.

Thanks

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you go to Market and hit Menu, then Downloads, it will display all apps you have downloaded from the market. It puts them in order by most recent installed/updated at the top of the list. So if you installed an app on day 1 when you got it, but just had an update today, it would be at the top of the list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Worst case scenario would be to uninstall all downloaded apps.. and if that doesnt work.. format/restore the phone from scratch. The market will remember everything you have paid for as long as you're using the same Google account.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had only 2 random reboots in the last couple weeks but would be curious what could cause that. If you find out anything, let us know.

ZipKicker

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd incredible, all with the same issue, verizon offered me a droid x but it's simply too big for my taste, i'm hoping that froyo will fix it or i dont know what im gonna do

yomonk1

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had my DInc since the original preorder and I have never had a spontaneous reboot. And Thank God!! I dont miss that at all from my Storm days.

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have mine since the pre order as well, during the first few weeks I had some random reboot, but then it seemed to stop, had no issues, and now within the last week it seems to be happening daily if not more than once a day.

Before when it happened, nothing would change, now each time it does original changes my screen preference to cut off after 10 seconds, and now even with it on 30 seconds it goes dim after only 10 seconds, very annoying if I am trying to read something, or multi task etc....

Maybe I should ask for a replacement?

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have mine since the pre order as well, during the first few weeks I had some random reboot, but then it seemed to stop, had no issues, and now within the last week it seems to be happening daily if not more than once a day.

Before when it happened, nothing would change, now each time it does original changes my screen preference to cut off after 10 seconds, and now even with it on 30 seconds it goes dim after only 10 seconds, very annoying if I am trying to read something, or multi task etc....

Maybe I should ask for a replacement?

Do a master reset first. If it still does it with no apps loaded, I'd ask for a replacement.

...my $.02

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If you are running ATK, go into settings and see what your kill levels are and make sure you don't have something, os specific that is being killed. You may have to ignore some of the tasks/processes that are sense or android specific. Killing the right process will do a "soft boot", I would imagine killing the right process would completely reboot the phone. Personally, I ram into sense restarting every hour until ignored all the sense processes.

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have never even downloaded ATK. Not sure what's causing it, other than app updates, I have't downloaded any new apps in a while.... I don't have any paid apps, will the market remember what I have downloaded? If I do the master reset that is.

ZipKicker

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
never used ATK either, im a truck driver from cleveland ohio, and i drive to charleston wv, detroit mi, buffalo ny, pittsburgh pa, and its happened just about everywhere i go, at least twice a day

however, i loaded a hybrid PRL that i found elsewhere and havent had a reboot, so maybe it is a location issue...i just hope its fixed soon

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have never even downloaded ATK. Not sure what's causing it, other than app updates, I have't downloaded any new apps in a while.... I don't have any paid apps, will the market remember what I have downloaded? If I do the master reset that is.

The best way to have your installed apps remember is to use appbrain.

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd jump on this thread too, because I'm having the same issue. I'm not using any task killer app at.

From what I can tell, it seems to happen when the phone is doing a lot of stuff. So far it has happened 3 times.

First time was when it was less then a week old.
I was running the stock google navigation app. I had been running Pandora, but had it on pause because I was on a call. All of a sudden, the line went dead and I looked down and the phone was rebooting.

The second and third times happened today:
Both times the google navigation app was running. One time Pandora was also running and I had the bluetooth connected to a headset (was driving and waiting for a call).

I noticed after the 2 times today that my ring tone and notification sounds had been set back to stock (I was using ones I downloaded and put on the SD card). When I went to change them, the ringtones on the SD weren't listed as choices even after rebooting again manually. I connected my phone to a computer and checked to see if they were still there. They were still on the SD card, and when I went to check the lists again after unplugging the phone from the computer, the ringtones on the SD card showed up in the list again.

One last thing. I had taken some pictures this morning with the phone before the 2 random reboots. All the pictures from the morning did not show up in the photo app, but after doing the above process for the ringtones, they showed up again.

When I did the manual reboot, it did say "mounting phone storage" and "Mounting SD card" in the notification bar. But still, nothing until I plugged and unplugged it from a computer. This is some weird stuff.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My replacement (my 3rd replacement) is doing the same as the previous 2.
I am getting yet another one.
Each time I have called about this they have asked if I have received the Froyo OTA yet. I keep saying no, that it hasn't been released but numerous reps said it was sent and pulled.

I don't know anymore....seriously my BB curve worked great until bbm 5.0 and then that started with QC issues.

This device QC issues.....

My q9m....not one issue for 22 months.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
My replacement (my 3rd replacement) is doing the same as the previous 2.
I am getting yet another one.
Each time I have called about this they have asked if I have received the Froyo OTA yet. I keep saying no, that it hasn't been released but numerous reps said it was sent and pulled.

I don't know anymore....seriously my BB curve worked great until bbm 5.0 and then that started with QC issues.

This device QC issues.....

My q9m....not one issue for 22 months.

Maybe the smartphone god is trying to tell you something ;)

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been experiencing spontaneous reboots, too--for a few months, actually. They've been increasing in frequency. Haven't noticed any particular pattern as to the cause. Finally decided to check the forums and came across this thread.

When the phone spontaneously reboots, it oftentimes goes into a cycle where it fails to fully load, continuously rebooting. Sometimes it reboots during the Droid logo, sometimes after starting to display the desktop. This cycle will continue until I physically remove the battery from the phone. Very frustrating!

I've never done a 'master reset' of the phone (as someone suggested earlier in the thread), but I guess it's worth a try. I'll search the forums to see how to do that. I'll also first review the contents of the phone to move any irreplaceable data to the SD card.