Caution "Update Available"

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or are other owners becoming more cautious about available updates as well? More than once I've jumped onto an update when everything on my phone was already working fine thank you very much, only to find out later that my acceptance and download of that update really #@*ed things up! Then while I deal with my Incredible acting more like a P.I.T.A. rather than like the DInc I knew and fell in love with... I end up waiting for them to issue a fix for "the fix". Do these guys really test these things before they send them out?

I'm also finding that a reputable name, yes this is directed at you Verizon and Google, that an update may not always bring joy to my little Incredible world! Even as I watch the anticipation grow over something so good as the Froyo release an alarm bell in the back of my mind is ringing ~ what if it's not all sweet goodness?

So am I becoming overly cynical about these updates that are, I'm sure, intended to make my user experience more beneficial? Yah, I suppose you could say that! But as I see it, I'm beginning to get tired of the shipwrecks these updates leave behind and am now finding myself more prone to letting someone else be the guinea pig while I read about and follow the results before I ever again entrust my precious to that benighn little phrase "Update Available".

Sorry guys, guess I'm just venting a little.
:cool:

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's cool I've been waiting for this OTA forever. I have no problem with eclair at all very stable OS never had a problem since I got this Droid April 29th. So if froyo is all that its cracked up to be then bring it on it'll only make android better

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
LOL....I know what you mean. Lots of times I've installed updates, and I go to use the app again and the icon is disconnected from the app...or my settings are gone. Some of these doggone apps have updates every other day. For pete's sake, just save them up and put out a release every once in a while, I don't need daily updates. I spend half my time installing updates.

As I type this, just got notified of 2 more updates (ATK, OpenTable)....yikes!!

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that these updates are coming from the app developers and not Verizon/Google? Google is not writing the vast majority of the apps. You need to direct your 'venting' towards the app developers if their updates are breaking their apps.

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I love my Update All button - and the Automagically Update option in FroYo

so like rpfarrah - I ain't skeeeeered neither....

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I feel just the opposite about all the updates!!! Most of my Apps are free to me and I am amazed that the developers continue to try and improve on their App! Sure occasionally an update doesn't work as expected but my experience is that it happens very infrequently! Thanks developers for all your hard work for no compensation in most cases!!!!!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You do realize that when you update an app and as it's installing, it'll bring the device performance to it's knees right? if you update alot of apps at once, it'll cause the device to lag really bad/freeze while it installs update, after update, after update.. by the time you get the "Updates Available" notification, chances are you have multiple updates available.

If you check the downloads regularly, you can manually update and it's less painful.

Nephilim_80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that when you update an app and as it's installing, it'll bring the device performance to it's knees right? if you update alot of apps at once, it'll cause the device to lag really bad/freeze while it installs update, after update, after update.. by the time you get the "Updates Available" notification, chances are you have multiple updates available.

If you check the downloads regularly, you can manually update and it's less painful.

To be honest, I have downloaded in excess of 6 to 8 app updates at a time and had absolutely no lag whatsoever. I would take a thorough look through what is on your phone because this is not something me or the 3 friends I have that own an Incredible have ever encountered.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm not referring to while it downloads.. however, while the app/app update is installing, a small amount of lag will show as it's writing to the flash/sd card.

I've seen this on a Motorola Droid, Motorola Backflip, Motorold Droid X, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC EVO, and an AT&T Captivate... it's less noticible on the faster devices, but does happen nonetheless.

damewolf

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am only anticipating good things with Froyo on my Incredible. In spite of some of the folks having problems with Froyo, it works like a charm on my Evo. It's noticably faster now, and freed up a few extra mbs of memory, not to mention that some of the apps can be transferred to the sd card.
The thing that has always baffled me about the Incredible is that I have never really figured out how to use all of that internal memory that the Inc has. Can anyone here enlighten me on what that (almost 8mb) internal memory is used for.
Thanks in advance.:)

angel35

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Where is froyo?? Where is MY froyo?? When will we get it?? I hear this and i hear that But im still waiting.Boo Hoo. By the way i have the Incredible

Last edited: