I'm going to Antigua on Sunday and wondering if my dinc will work there? I called customer service and they said it will not work at all- not even the WiFi. But i thought i heard somewhere that it will work- it just would cost $1.99 per minute to make calls... but that WiFi on airplane mode works. anyone know firsthand if it works in the caribbean?
    08-11-2010 08:37 PM
    Unless they have CDMA service, no it won't work. I'm pretty sure they only have GSM service.

You can always rent a phone while you are there.

Not really sure why WiFi would not work as long as you can get connected. but that would not be for cell phone calls.
    08-12-2010 06:12 AM
    Try using FRING and SKYPE combo to make free calls to US
    08-12-2010 10:03 AM
    Verizon will not work outside the US. I called before we went on our vacation to the Eastern Caribbean on a cruise on Carnival. Service was available on the boat for $2/min talk or $0.50/outgoing text or $0.05/incoming text. When we were in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, service was roaming on other networks at crazy prices. I was told by Verizon that since I had unlimited data, I could use as much of that as possible via WiFi or cell signal. Texts were also free as long as I didn't go over my 500/month.
    08-12-2010 10:22 AM
    That seems odd bbalak. I was just in mexico, my phone works fine there, but it is like $2 a min or something. So I wouldn't say it won't work outside the us...it will work just it costs more.

Has me wondering about the wifi and cell signal data, though the wifi I had there was crappy at its best. I just turned off anything related to data and used it for calls and texts. Made a handful of each...still cost like $60.
    08-12-2010 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD