Just Got My Incredible

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I just finished setting up my Incredible, and all I have to say is "WOW". It is blazing fast, internet just rocks. Bye bye Storm 2, you served me well, but its Droid time. I am a little shocked by the speed on my Wifi, its ridiculous. Working on customizing, will go slow, want to see how battery reacts before I start installing a bunch of apps and widgets.

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I recommend not going app crazy just yet. A lot of times people install a ton of apps that may make the phone run sluggish.
Play with the core features and make a list of stuff you need apps for. Then keep track of what you don't use and uninstall them.
Get familiar with the settings and how the phone works. That way you can tell when there's a problem and can trace it back to what was recently installed.

just my opinion

KJowers

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Waiting on my Inc to come in............left Blackbery for it and havent looked back. Plus, its a work phone with no oversight ................heh heh heh:)

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
congrats, by far the best phone I've ever had. I was a regular at crackberry.com, now I'm on here constantly. A couple of tips for you new guys with it (had mine since May). First, it will never get the battery life your BB had, but if you turn it off every night when you charge it, and turn it on in the morning, it should last you the whole day without a problem. I've had crazy issues with charging and times it has lasted, and this is the best I've come up with. Bump charging and that crap is a waste of time. If you used to have your bb shut down overnight automatically, then this will not bother you.

Second, DO NOT use a task killer. VZW seems to recommend them, and I used it too in the first month. Having a BB I was so used to making sure apps closed down so it didn't eat my memory or wear down the battery. Android does this for you. If you find an app down the road that never shuts off, you might think about getting rid of it. Task killers have used more battery than they saved for me.

For those who were addicted to bbm, pingchat has just become official for android. Your bb friends can use it too, but it is not in the bb app world yet ( my wife is still using a bb). It is the best replacement I have found for bbm that works well, plus it works across all platforms (bb, iphone, android).

The last tip I can give is to use wifi whenever possible, and turn off 3g when using wifi. It will work much faster and save you a ton of battery life. Just be sure to turn it off when not in range of a wifi router, but on screen widgets make that a snap. Enjoy your new toy!

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There is a widget you can put on the screen that when you touch it, it toggle off your 3g connection. It is called mobile, for mobile network, but it is really your 3g connection. You never shut off your connection completely as your still connected to a tower using 1x so you can still receive phone calls. My phone is upstairs charging. I can go get it and give you a step by step process if you still cant find it.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, to turn off 3g, put the mobile toggle widget on your screen. Tap the plus sign next to the phone on the bottom. touch Widget. Scroll down to settings. In there you will see five power widgets you can add to your home screens. Airplane mode, bluetooth, Gps, Mobile network (3G), and Wi-fi. Me personally, I have 3g, and wifi on my main home screen, since i use them the most. The biggest thing is remembering to turn on off and the turn the other back on. Many times I have left the house and forgot to turn 3g back on. An hour later, I'm wondering why I don't have any emails coming in. Then I remember. Slight hassle, but it will stretch your battery life a great deal, especially if you have a low cell signal where you get wifi.

nickbike

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The last tip I can give is to use wifi whenever possible, and turn off 3g when using wifi. It will work much faster and save you a ton of battery life. Just be sure to turn it off when not in range of a wifi router, but on screen widgets make that a snap. Enjoy your new toy!

Hmm, this is interesting. I thought that when in range of a remembered wifi router, it would automatically switch to that and not use the 3g (and not use the battery power required for 3g). At least, that's what the notification bar at the top of the screen has lead me to believe. I leave my wifi on all the time and let it pick up the network at work and then my home network when I get home. As soon as it picks up either, the little 3g icon goes away and is replaced with the wifi icon.

howser87

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got mien today too, switched from a Palm Pre Plus. I love this phone, never looking back.

Are there any good and free flashlight apps for the DInc that work? I downloaded all the free ones I could find and none worked, so I paid a buck for IncrediLED. It seems to have issues turning off the LEDs once they're on.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is wifi burning up that much battery when out of range? I keep my wifi on at all times so as soon as I get home it switches to wifi on its own. Also, when out n about, it will tell me if there is a wifi signal I can latch onto.

*shrug*

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking about going from my Eris to the incredible. I've heard nothing but great things about it. One thing for sure is I'm done with blackberry.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
WiFi doesnt cause that much of a battery drain on either of my phones(Incredible or DX).So its kinda a preference rather you choose to leave it on or not when Not within range .

Yes if you leave WiFi on it will automatically toggle on to the remenber WiFi location that you are within range of also.

You dont have to turn 3G off it automatically changes to WiFi when its like that .