Low on Space Warning AGAIN!!

khall1

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It really doesn't appear to be a Facebook issue so much as how much data an app has stored. I uninstalled the facebook app, but that didn't clear it up for me. I wasn't syncing anything with facebook, so, really, that makes sense. The culprit in my case was an app called Battery Level. Just gives me a numerical display in my notification bar about my battery percentage left. The app is only 208KB, but the data was 2.5MB!!! It should only be using 4KB. There's no reason it should have much data stored. As soon as I cleared the data, the warning went away. It's a good thing too...I wasn't getting emails, texts, anything. Although if you go to apps it said I had 537MB free. Just go through your apps and find something with a huge amount of data usage that shouldn't be at those levels and clear it. Just for the record, my email is set to sync everything for unlimited and I didn't change that.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
For me it was the following:

HTC Mail - I cleared cache and cleared data... I stop using it and moved to K9 mail.
Facebook - I cleared cache and cleared data...
Facebook for HTC Sense - I cleared cache and cleared data.

This cleared the issue on 3 phones that had the low space issue.

Now... of course, I'm sure it won't work for everyone...

Lego.

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
For me it was the following:

HTC Mail - I cleared cache and cleared data... I stop using it and moved to K9 mail.
Facebook - I cleared cache and cleared data...
Facebook for HTC Sense - I cleared cache and cleared data.

This cleared the issue on 3 phones that had the low space issue.

Now... of course, I'm sure it won't work for everyone...

Lego.

Has anyone noticed that since the Incredible's Gingerbread update that "clear data" and "clear cache" on the MAIL application are grayed out now - even though the mail app is showing storage usage??

Hell before I was plagued by the low application data errors and now I am being plagued by the "phone storage space is getting low" message.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd highly recommend rooting to solve this - the low on space error was the #1 reason i rooted, and i haven't looked back.

The [ROM] Stock Gingerbread [2.3.4][Sense1.0] was based on the initial leaked Gingerbread release for our phone last month (before they delayed it) and ran very snappy and i had no problems with the low on space error at all. But when I 'upgraded' to the ROM based off the real official release you all have [ROM] ◄ Official 4.06.605.3 ► Stock PLUS , I got non-stop low on space errors again. I'd clear data on Weatherbug ( a big culprit), and other programs, and it would just come back a few hours later - insane.

So I flashed right off that sucker (running Nils Gingersense 3.0 v2.3 now, which is great by the way).

It's really incompetent that someone at HTC and/or Verizon did not fix this Gingerbread update to eliminate this horrible error.

I don't think any other update it coming, so if I were you, I'd root!

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i did a factory reset after the update and since then absoulutely no LOW ON SPACE issues!

Previously that has solved it for me for several weeks to a month.

I haven't tried since Gingerbread, but if HTC wants most of us to buy another HTC Android then I hope they release/push some more fixes!

I hate to root just to fix such a basic thing that SHOULD work such as storage space. I will have a new Android by Christmas so I don't really want to take the time.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
+1000 to all of this

I'd highly recommend rooting to solve this - the low on space error was the #1 reason i rooted, and i haven't looked back.

The [ROM] Stock Gingerbread [2.3.4][Sense1.0] was based on the initial leaked Gingerbread release for our phone last month (before they delayed it) and ran very snappy and i had no problems with the low on space error at all. But when I 'upgraded' to the ROM based off the real official release you all have [ROM]

sgravel

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure it helps to solve any issues, but how this could happen on a device with over 5GB free internal storage was completely mystifying to me until I realized...

The place where most of these applications store their data (/data/data) appears to be sort of the equivalent of a mount point in Linux. HTC for some reason creates a rather anemic 150MB partition, mounts it at /data/data on the internal storage, and apps store their data on this tiny partition. As I browse around with Root Explorer, I see plenty of free space reported as I navigate different folders in the file system - until I go into that folder. Then I have only 21 MB free.

What's the answer? I don't know if there is any such thing as Partition Magic or GParted for Android, so as to resize that partition. What I did was to move any application data I could to the SD card. For me, the culprit was usually Touchdown for Exchange. Once I moved the databases for my TD profile to the SD card, I have had zero issues. Before that, clearing app data was a weekly chore.

I don't think any of the apps are necessarily poorly coded, it's just that stupidly small partition that is a bottleneck...

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you all moved all apps that can be moved on to the SD card to the SD card. An app called Apps2SD is a great one for helping you find out which apps are movable.

Facebook is not the problem per say, the problem is that Facebook is a large app that also syncs a ton of information (all your friends pics and data).

If you move your apps that are movable over to the SD card, you will have much more room.

Rooting your phone will allow you to force over apps that say they can't be moved to SD.

PS any apps that are moved over to the SD card wont allow you to use widgets, so if you use widgets, keep those on the phones memore and do not move to SD card.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine just started doing the low on memory thing in the last week or so too. I never got the GB OTA or did manual. When I look, it appears that I have plenty of free memory. WTF?

Jodigurl

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok... so I am not a Techie by any means and am so envious of you all who are... I just have no one like that around here to mentor me... so back to the reason I decided to post. I have dealt with this issue just a few months after I got the Dinc... I have had it pretty much since it has been out... so that is a LONG time. In my time, I have scoured my phone and also some trial and error... I want to root my phone, but will wait since I don't have someone to hold my hand (sissy girl here) and don't want to brick... I have had 2 phones brick dropping OS and other such issues with a lack of rebooting or recognition of existence (not android phones) There are many valid solutions that fix the issue briefly, but are those fixes? Why won't HTC and Android OS developers actually fix it...?
I found that while facebook does it there are several times where I can watch my contacts creep up at least 5MG in a month so I looked to see why and I assume that it is creeping up due to dialer storage and texts and emails and syncing your FB to everything (not a bad idea really, if there wasn't a problem we would all love it) and when all those are cleared it might go down... I cleared my contacts (several times after backup assistant) and it helped for a very long time until Adobe Flash 11... 2 times it did it (since even my clearing automatic update means crap to them)... 1st time I cleared everything I was willing to clear (losing some stuff mind you) and then it dawned on me it was fine until Flash 11... so I uninstall updates and it is fine...

I am just thankful that there are new phones... I have held off for 4g phone that has a front camera so I can Skype with my nieces... silly yes, but hey they are super cute...
if this helps anyone good, if not maybe you can help me root... Sorry for being so random... I am at work and have been since 4am... it is now 3:15pm...

chubber

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have over 300 mb free in all 3 catagories of storage (internal, sd, memory) and I still get a warning that I have less than 512 kb of memory. I can't get emails anymore and apps force close. I also have at least 100mb of ram free at all times :(
This has only started happening after I flashed the gingerbread update...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have over 300 mb free in all 3 catagories of storage (internal, sd, memory) and I still get a warning that I have less than 512 kb of memory. I can't get emails anymore and apps force close. I also have at least 100mb of ram free at all times :(
This has only started happening after I flashed the gingerbread update...

If this has only been happening since the GB update - a reset will most likely fix this and make things run smoother overall. For backup instructions check here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...credible-gingerbread-over-air.html#post980677

Hope this helps.

khall1

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
After navigating my way through the mess that is the GB patch, I noticed that HTC has added a new category in SD & Phone storage: Application storage. Generously they have allotted a whopping 150mb for app data storage. Thanks HTC. Why they would do this is beyond me. If I have 750mb phone storage let me use it all the way I want.

Darkblue31

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
After navigating my way through the mess that is the GB patch, I noticed that HTC has added a new category in SD & Phone storage: Application storage. Generously they have allotted a whopping 150mb for app data storage. Thanks HTC. Why they would do this is beyond me. If I have 750mb phone storage let me use it all the way I want.

Mess is an understatement, its more like a total clusterf&*k. I lost all of my apps everything it was like a factory reset without wanting one. HTC, if I want to wipe my phone I would do it myself not a borked update/patch for the update.

swerve23

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
OK I just got off the phone with verizon tech support and they have a email from HTC stating that the 4.08 is the wrong update and they want to track the problem. you can call HTC at 1-866-449-8358 the verizon tech said there are 106 complaints to them. so people please call verizon and complain more the more complaint the faster they will fix the issue:-X Info update I posted this while on hold with HTC the rep said to update it I wish verizion will get on the same page the guy sounded like a cali surfer that was stoned but he told me to do the update and that their will be a fix coming out soon so update at your own risk I guess a fixed update will be out soon...

Last edited:

faigee

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Could be you mail settings, Go into you mail setting and set your "Download Options" to the fewest days you can stand(Mine is set for 3 days) My "Mail Size" is set at 25kb... That cleared it up for me.

Haven't had any low memory issues in over 80 days.

It worked for me...Thanks alot:)