Froyo OTA: First Impressions

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I got my Froyo at about 1pm (CST) this afternoon. These are my first impressions. If anyone can guide me to taking screenshots without rooting I will post some as well.

First, the new bootup is nice. It's pretty quick, and resembles the old one except that there is a Droid eye screen with the robot "Droid" voice. I liked it.

Second, everything looks subtly different. What I mean is all the fonts appear a touch sharper and a very little touch smaller. It's almost like Sense also received an update to a more granular font package.

Third, speed. Everything is noticable faster and there are no lags anywhere. The Browser is especially fast, and an occasional tendency I noted in the past of lines of text being piled on top of each other is gone. Flash works very well, and only slows the Browser down slightly.

The increaed speed even extends to visuals. I use a Live Wallpaper (the leaves in the pond) and both the rippling water effect and the leaf movements are quicker. The HTC Mail app is likewise quicker - it looks the same except again the fonts are a tiny bit smaller and a bit crisper.

The market is the new one, with the Comments in a separate tab and also a listing of all your downloads. It also implements automatic updating.

And in a big HOORAY!, Bluetooth voice command functionality is fully operational. It can be used without touching the phone at all, which is a major safety enhancement.

More as I explore my "new" phone more.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Its an over the air upgrade. Could you imagine an upgrade wiping the data of the typical users phone? That uproar would make people think Microsoft Windows Vista upgrades!

Steve in CT

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, all my apps were gone and I had to reinstall them. I suppose wipe is not correct because the contents of the SD card and built in storage were not deleted.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
More:

Camcorder works just fine, offering a range of resolutions ranging from 720p to QVGA. Camera likewise looking good.

This is a very smmoth upgrade. No bugs found yet.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Just searched using ASTRO. No file by that name.

Perhaps the reboot at the end of the update flushed the cache?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon