Froyo OTA: First Impressions

grimmdgg

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Can someone verify: If you are already running a 2.2 mod, will you receive the option for the OTA update? Do I need to flash back to the original image in order to get it? Thanks.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
why the hell does skype mobile auto start every time i boot up the phone even though i've never touched the app and don't even have a skype account?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has been asked, but does the phone's battery still drop to around 93% immediately after taking it off the charger overnight (when the phone was left on)?

titaniumwombat

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Interrogations of an anxious wombat...

More:
Camcorder works just fine, offering a range of resolutions ranging from 720p to QVGA. Camera likewise looking good.

Does it still save out as 3gp or did we get lucky with an mp4 h264 compression on the 720p?

Also, is the audio at 720p crisp or is it muddled & chunky like the EVO?

Finally, does the music player have a horizontal view?

Thanks!

cheers.
t.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I installed the RUU and occasionally have problems updating apps. It gets to 100% download and then does nothing. I have to go to manage applications and uninstall the app before I can reinstall it in the market.

I've had this same problem on every 2.2 leak I've tried as well and noticed that people with the 2.2 update on EVO seem to be seeing this issue as well.

unccmyway

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the 2.2 update OTA on Saturday. Very happy with it so far. I have noticed, though, that the battery takes MUCH longer to charge. Probably twice as long.

Battery life is better though, so I guess it's a good trade-off.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I installed the RUU and occasionally have problems updating apps. It gets to 100% download and then does nothing. I have to go to manage applications and uninstall the app before I can reinstall it in the market.

I've had this same problem on every 2.2 leak I've tried as well and noticed that people with the 2.2 update on EVO seem to be seeing this issue as well.

no such issues whatsoever here. every one of my apps updated and installed flawlessly

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I got the 2.2 update OTA on Saturday. Very happy with it so far. I have noticed, though, that the battery takes MUCH longer to charge. Probably twice as long.

Battery life is better though, so I guess it's a good trade-off.

How much better is it? When charging while the phone is on, does it still automatically drop down to around 93% after taking it off the charger?

lifties

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I installed the RUU leak on 8/26, here are a couple of my findings:

1. My battery life is much better. I'm running the extended battery (2150mAh) and at 50% I'm have 24 hours UP and 6 hours AWAKE. Previously with those same numbers I would have only 10-20% left.
2. Flash: I find that it doesn't really work like I think it should. I installed the Adobe Showcase app and the sites play Flash terribly on my phone.
3. I still have to bump charge my battery.
4. The bump to 720 on the camcorder was nice. They removed the Framerate from the Details menu so I can't tell what the framerate is, but it seems to be better than before.
5. Everything else seems to be working normally. There are some tweaks here and there, but nothing that is going to blow you away. As far as the JIT update, my benchmark scores went way up (above the Droid X) but for day to day use, I haven't noticed anything different. The phone doesn't feel any less or more responsive that before 2.2.

unccmyway

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I still don't believe the battery charges all the way while turned on.

The 720p video quality is actually pretty good and I haven't had any issues with the sound but I still need to test it out some.

I am getting around 1580 with Quadrant which is more than double what it was with 2.1.

Probably the biggest improvement for me is that I haven't had a single random reboot, force close, or app hang-up since it updated on Saturday. Those problems ran rampant for me with 2.1.

All-in-all, the phone just feels more polished.

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
unccmyway.. if you got the update on Saturday, does it delete the update.zip once the update is complete. I just don't understand how no one has captured the update file yet.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that a few of my apps are FC'ing more now....when I rooted to 2.2 with the leaked ROM, I had he same thing happen and just assumed that it was a problem with that ROM. It's not as bad with the Official OTA, but it's still happening.

maybe those apps have to be updated for Froyo. have you emailed the developers?