TOMORROW: free hotmail push/sync - ACTUAL setup info?

Would free & SOLID push email increase your Hotmail usage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dsilver#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Tomorrow Microsoft is making push, activesync email, calendar, etc. available to all Hotmail users for free.

Since there is no "Hotmail app" like we have for Gmail and even Yahoo Mail, what ACTUAL options with ACTUAL process info do you guys think will work best? New port and server info, perhaps?

If they're gonna give me a solid, free IMAP option, you better believe I'm gonna start using Hotmail more than I do now.

-HTC Mail app: I detest the HTC Mail app, which at-best fails to accurately reflect the UI of the web-based client (Gmail UI is close but fast, Yahoo's is similar but slow). I don't want to use the Mail app unless I have to.

-3rd party apps off the market: I don't use K9 or any of the others b/c gmail integration & app is terrific for my mobile needs, and the Yahoo app gets the job done for the few things I actually use Yahoo for, so I the "just use k9" answer is reasonable, but since MOST people don't use it and won't, what are the other non-market options?

-Web-based Hotmail: Actually, they got their act together and the mobile web UI is pretty nice now...much better than 6 months ago. It's pretty darn fast and you can access your folders, but naturally you can't access your phone's contact list (for 99% of users).

Exchange ActiveSync to arrive on Hotmail on Monday | Beyond Binary - CNET News

theoverdrive

Banned
May 21, 2010
Visit site
-HTC Mail app: I detest the HTC Mail app, which at-best fails to accurately reflect the UI of the web-based client (Gmail UI is close but fast, Yahoo's is similar but slow). I don't want to use the Mail app unless I have to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only reason why HTC Mail app sucks for Hotmail is that Hotmail didn't support Exchange ActiveSync. With the Hotmail update coming, wouldn't that allow the HTC Mail app to fully interface with Hotmail via Exchange ActiveSync?

And the server information for Exhange ActiveSync is already out there: m.hotmail.com.

I just tried it out of curiosity with the HTC Mail app and it looks promising - it gave me options to sync Mail, Contacts, and Calendar. It didn't fully finish though... probably because the service isn't live yet on Hotmail's end. But if I were to guess, it'll work tomorrow or soon after.

Last edited:

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
anyone set this up using the stock froyo mail application? The HTC client doesn't support a 2nd exchange account which is kind of sad because on my Pre for work I have 3 different exchange accounts setup now.

theoverdrive

Banned
May 21, 2010
Visit site
Still can't get it to work...oh well, back to my gmail workaround. Or just going to the web portal...

I just updated to official 2.2 via OTA and the stock HTC Mail app still won't work.

Touchdown doesn't work either.

But I did get the free version of RoadSync to work. Unfortunately, that only lasts through the trial period and the full version is like $9.99.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to official 2.2 via OTA and the stock HTC Mail app still won't work.

Touchdown doesn't work either.

But I did get the free version of RoadSync to work. Unfortunately, that only lasts through the trial period and the full version is like $9.99.

RoadSync worked for me as well, but I am not going to pay $9.99 just to be able to do what others can do for free! Does anyone know if K9 or Maildroid or any of the other free mail apps are working?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I would have checked this option if it were available:

[check] Sync is important; Gmail/Google Apps does all I need.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The other problem with RoadSync is it doesn't seem to let you view the emails in HTML...for the use that I put my Hotmail through, this is a deal-breaker.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
The stock froyo email.apk that i found works great with the new Hotmail activesync and if you like the black theme you can just stop using the main HTC mail app for exchange all together as this supports multiple accounts.

theoverdrive

Banned
May 21, 2010
Visit site
The stock froyo email.apk that i found works great with the new Hotmail activesync and if you like the black theme you can just stop using the main HTC mail app for exchange all together as this supports multiple accounts.

Yeah, I decided to just use that and it worked great.