My wife bought me an Ally 2 months ago. Other than size, I liked the system. Last Friday, I took it off the charger and it stayed on 0 charge and wouldn't open. I went to Verizon online and found that they're selling them for $49.95 and you get 2 of them. I called Verizon and told them it sounded like Ally's were not long for the system. They hooked me up with a supervisor who offered me any Droid at no cost. She said she had the Incredible and loved it. I got mine Saturday morning and have spent 2 days reading about it and playing with it. I took the 4 gig sd card out of my Ally and saved my pictures. Now to my question. I've got 2.1 update firmware version, 2.6.29 kernel 1.22.605.2 software and webkit 3.1 browser. I'm not technical, so is there anything I need to do for updates? I'd post a picture, but this smartphone thing is really new for me.
    08-29-2010 02:06 PM
    Nothing at all you need to do, the 2.2 update is rolling out so basically just hit accept when you get an update notification. Have fun with your Dinc, I love mine.
    08-29-2010 02:08 PM
    Thanks, it's work for an old guy to stay even with the kids and grandkids. My daughter is still pushing me to get a Blackberry. but I think I'm beyond that.
    08-29-2010 02:12 PM
    lol I would pick a droid over a BB any day
    08-29-2010 02:23 PM
    The Incredible is a pretty capable machine. You can pretty much customize it however you want. The more advanced users of the phone will likely root it (i.e. hack into it and install what ever configuration they want on it) while other users will just keep it simple and stay on par with the OTA (over-the-air) updates that Verizon provides them, which have been well tested and are full of great features already.

All you need to do is push "OK" when that update notification comes up. And enjoy your smartphone.
    08-29-2010 02:23 PM
    Welcome to the DInc club! And as others have said, updates will be pushed to you by Verizon/HTC. You said you aren't technical, so don't bother with trying to root or anything fancy.

We will all get Froyo soon (but not soon enough for some I'm sure, myself included =P )
    08-29-2010 02:40 PM
    Also, if you aren't technical, an android device is the way to go. They just work. Having owned a BB for a number of years, they are good phones, but prone to issues and compared to android devices have bizzaro memory management necessitating things like battery pulls and such.
    08-29-2010 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD