3G Mobile Hotspot works without adding?!

qbcall11

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I installed 2.2 this morning with the 3G mobile hotspot. I was under the impression that if you didn't have the hotspot feature on your account that it referred you to the website to add it. Well, this morning I started the app and clicked to start the 3G wifi tethering and a message came up that said "Processing" and it started working...it didn't refer me to the feature page or anything. I just checked my account and the 3G hotspot feature is unchecked, so I know I don't have it. How does this work, what are the charges...

drclayton

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
i updated this morning as well....and was wondering the same exact thing.
I didnt connect any devices cus i was scared it was gonna charge me like crazy.

But also....i wouldnt mind paying a $20 month of the hotspot for this coming up month to just check it out. However i have a pending plan so the website wont let me change anything...dunno what to do.

Shiodooru

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
i updated this morning as well....and was wondering the same exact thing.
I didnt connect any devices cus i was scared it was gonna charge me like crazy.

But also....i wouldnt mind paying a $20 month of the hotspot for this coming up month to just check it out. However i have a pending plan so the website wont let me change anything...dunno what to do.

You could always root and get wireless tethering, it is basically hotspot for free

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Hotspot will load but when you connect your laptop it will refer you to a Verizon signup page. The Hotspot gets created but the portal denies you access until you signup for the service. there are hacks to make it work but they are not allowed to be posted here. Just do some searching.

qbcall11

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hotspot will load but when you connect your laptop it will refer you to a Verizon signup page. The Hotspot gets created but the portal denies you access until you signup for the service. there are hacks to make it work but they are not allowed to be posted here. Just do some searching.

ahhh, OK thanks alot for the info

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Joker35, please verify to us that PDANet still works post-Update. Don't have cable with me to verify this myself.
Thanks.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
*POST Removed*

I removed this information on advice from a forum member and moderator. Not sure if it's breaking any rules, but just playing it safe. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You could always let it ride out til they pull it.

Nah would rather pull it since someone got into trouble about it already. I didn't know it was an issue. Could you please edit my quote from your post before? I already edited my post.

(And no it doesn't void your warranty)