2.2 Now with more Bloat-ware!

Thumperbox

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Just used the zip file to upgrade to 2.2. Love it except for several apps.
I dont use Skype, I dont want the AmazonMP3 and TaskKiller seems to have no effect on them. I dont want them cause I have a feeling they are adding to my battery consumption.

I am NOT rooted, and would like to stay that way.

anyone have any suggestions, or should we as HTC to allow us to uninstall them at some point in some future update?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The only way to remove these is by being rooted and I'm almost positive future updates will not give you the ability to remove stock applications. I wouldn't worry to much about them draining your battery because if they are running it would only be in the background. ATK doesn't give a true list of applications that are running you might want to look in to System panel which will give you a better list of running apps.

t-bear52

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Received the OTA 2.2. Never opened Skype. Wondered why battery consumption was worse with 2.2. Looked into system and found Skype was running. Heck, never even opened it! So stopped the "process" for Skype and battery life is back to normal. At least for me. I agree, would be nice to be able to eliminate the bloatware. Not sure I am confident enough to Root as an Android newbie.

Thumperbox

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Received the OTA 2.2. Never opened Skype. Wondered why battery consumption was worse with 2.2. Looked into system and found Skype was running. Heck, never even opened it! So stopped the "process" for Skype and battery life is back to normal. At least for me. I agree, would be nice to be able to eliminate the bloatware. Not sure I am confident enough to Root as an Android newbie.

Here's the thing. If you notice, within 10 minutes Skype will be running in your background again. I do not like that at all..

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Only way to get rid of the crapware is to root! The majority of the crapware is placed by VZW, not HTC. Unrevoked has made rooting very painless and fast, I would highly recommend.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Currently there is no way to root from 2.2 so you will have to wait. I don't think having these apps running in the back ground will effect your battery.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently there is no way to root from 2.2 so you will have to wait. I don't think having these apps running in the back ground will effect your battery.

No, but you can root b4 going 2.2. The directions are on XDA forums. This is what I did. If you really want it, you can downgrade and then root/upgrade. All directions are on the XDA forums. My battery life increased dramatically when I got rid of the VZW bloatware, especially Skype.

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ugh can someone help me through the process of removing this bloatware? I'm trying to use this guide but I'm running into a problem. I'm rooted and I have that one clockworkmod recovery. I get to the mount /system but when I go onto the computer and type cd\sdk\tools I get a "The system cannot find the path specified" error. I tried j: (that's the name of my phone storage) but it won't even connect to it.

Can someone help me?

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ugh can someone help me through the process of removing this bloatware? I'm trying to use this guide but I'm running into a problem. I'm rooted and I have that one clockworkmod recovery. I get to the mount /system but when I go onto the computer and type cd\sdk\tools I get a "The system cannot find the path specified" error. I tried j: (that's the name of my phone storage) but it won't even connect to it.

Can someone help me?

Read this thread:
Safe Apps to Remove - Root Access + custom Recovery Required - xda-developers

You can use the removal zip and edit the file to add/remove apps that you choose. You need to go into partitions and mount while in recovery then run the removal

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
IF you are rooted and have S-OFF, you can move the apps using Root Explorer while the the device is up and running.

Much easier than going to recovery and using adb etc...

Root Explorer can change RO to RW and back for whatever filesystem you need access to.