Did ANY of you get the 3G Hotspot to work, via VZW ?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have tried using VZW's 3G Hotspot feature, tried using the "not to be mentioned" method to get it for free, called tech support and did a master reset, and have only been able to get the hotspot thing to work ONCE.

Are any of the rest of you having any problems? I do not plan to use it much, but wanted it working properly so I could use it when needed. I had planned to do the same as I did with the tether feature...call and activate it when I need it and deactivate when I don't.

In any case, the only thing I can figure out is that maybe it is due to my poor 3G coverage here at the house. The laptop connects to the phone just fine, I just cannot get any data sent to the laptop.

Any ideas out there??

qbcall11

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would post directions to the *not to mentioned* route but people have had their posts deleted by admins....if someone can explain to me why its against the rules, I would appreciate it...otherwise, I can't see how it different than rooting...

sting0387

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If you are talking about the DUN editing, I did this and the mobile hotspot feature works perfectly fine on my incredible. The best thing about it is that it is an actual WiFi network and not an ad-hoc wifi network, so it allows me to share with other android devices and things that do not support ad-hoc connections but do have the WiFiz

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you are talking about the DUN editing, I did this and the mobile hotspot feature works perfectly fine on my incredible. The best thing about it is that it is an actual WiFi network and not an ad-hoc wifi network, so it allows me to share with other android devices and things that do not support ad-hoc connections but do have the WiFiz

Must you root for DUN editing to work?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Must you root for DUN editing to work?

No, you do not have to root for the DUN editing to work. I did it and 2 different iphones were able to connect to me and access the 'net via my 3G connection.

So I know it works... I am going to try again on my laptop. If it does not work still, I am thinking it is due to my poor 3G signal here at home.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Should the 3G hotspot work without signing up first with Verizon, or is there no real sign-up and will be charged by usage?

I logged onto my account and see the option to add this feature for $20, but have not added it to my profile. Yet the 3G hotspot is working on my phone. I just don't want to get billed for something that should have been included with our $29.99 data usage plan!

KJowers

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Can someone like, share (or PM/email), the unmentionable method to those of us who are curious. Also, why is it the method that must not be mentioned? or is that a no no too?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Can someone like, share (or PM/email), the unmentionable method to those of us who are curious. Also, why is it the method that must not be mentioned? or is that a no no too?

Go to the phone, dial 865336678 (voldermort) and viola!

Sorry - Could not resist.

;)

Wired

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Guys, it's unmentionable because you're getting around Verizon's locks on the Verizon hotspot app, which is in effect stealing a paid service. Stealing is a no no!

Note that there's a difference in doing that and rooting it and using USB tethering or a 3rd party app to allow the phone to be a hotspot.

drfundy

May 10, 2010
Visit site
The usb method is a no no too right?

I am happy to give them 20 bucks a month for the 2gb of tethering data. I'm glad they finally have it and it is separate from the phones unlimited plan.

KJowers

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering about the how's and why's regarding this. The Voldermort connection was very expected! It was the first thing that came to my mind too! The "Technique That Must Not Be Named" (shudder and cringe while speaking).LOL
Now we need someone with a scar on their forehead to tell me, without giving it away, is it reprogramming? Rooting?? You don't have to post it, but Blackberry was simple comapred to the Android and I AM LOST. So just a brief explanantion without the step by step instructions. I have a company phone anyhow and wouldn't / couldn't do it. It's simply curiousity...............

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So just a brief explanantion without the step by step instructions. I have a company phone anyhow and wouldn't / couldn't do it. It's simply curiousity...............

Yeah, I kind of would like to see a discussion myself. Rooting a phone to me is the same as the "procedure which shall not be named" situation. Both void your warranty, both will get you kicked out on your ... if you try to visit a Verizon store, both are written up in the terms ... so why can we discuss one but not the other?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Should the 3G hotspot work without signing up first with Verizon, or is there no real sign-up and will be charged by usage?

I logged onto my account and see the option to add this feature for $20, but have not added it to my profile. Yet the 3G hotspot is working on my phone. I just don't want to get billed for something that should have been included with our $29.99 data usage plan!

The feature will work, but if you have not had VZW turn on the service, when you try to access a website on your computer or whatever, you will be directed to the VZW page that explaims you must now sign up and pay.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, I need some help here. I have tried to use the 3G hotspot feature both with the service turned on at VZW and by trying it "for free". I have been able to get my laptop to connect to the DInc, no problem. However, I cannot get any data to work on the laptop....no websites wil open, getting server errors. It did work once, then without changing anything, stopped working.

I went to work and tried it and 2 iphones were able to use my 3G signal and browse the net on their phones.

So here I am at home, found a spot in the house that gives me 2 or 3 bars of 3G signal, the laptop sees the "HTC Network" and easily connects to it, yet I STILL cannot get any websites to open.

Can anyone offer some settings I might need to tweak on laptop??

UPDATE:

Now, out of the blue, it is working. I don't get it.... I tried it on my kids laptop and it was working then it suddenly started working on my laptop. Very strange.... oh well, it is not something I plan to use often anyway.

Last edited:

azari

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
voldemort2.jpg

Check Android Tether vs. 3G Mobile Hotspot at XDA...

Last edited: