It seems most people having good luck with froyo 2.2...safe to download now ??

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been putting off updating to froyo 2.2, even though it keeps coming up on my phone.

I don't want any down time or problems with it.

Is it good to go ?

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have seen a lot of negative reviews. I actually have 2 incredibles, I installed the RUU manually on one and am constantly declining 2.2 on the other so I can go back to stock 2.1 if I need/want to.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I have seen a lot of negative reviews. I actually have 2 incredibles, I installed the RUU manually on one and am constantly declining 2.2 on the other so I can go back to stock 2.1 if I need/want to.

Hmm. Ok. I will read some of the other forums to see what other people's experiences are with Froyo. If it's still really buggy I don't want to upgrade yet, from 2.1

thanks!

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously thinking about holding off on the 2.2 update. It sounds like there are concerns about apps. being dropped.

I use Secrets to store my passwords and I would be screwed if that app got wiped.

From reading the sticky, it looks like there some having no problems and some who do.

Is there any way to stop getting the upgrade message on my INC until I decide when I want it ?

I want to upgrade with the update is tight. I don't have time to f with it.

Is there an overall verdict on Froyo.. Is it ready to go, or still buggy.???

ps - love this forum, thanks for everybody's input.

willowave

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, thats good to know about the apps being dropped jason. I manually installed the deodxd version of Froyo...and apps kept disappearing. So I restored my original stock. Good to know it wasn't the ROMs fault. I am curious also about what to do about the message for the upgrade. I'm not ready for it, and I don't have time to mess with my phone much...I don't want a upgrade that isn't ready.

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I went to 2.2 and no problems. I mean very minor stuff. And if you don't go to 2.2 you are stuck without having full flash on all the websites and that's a big deal to me as well as the speed of 2.2. Not to mention all of the new apps are going to be tailored for 2.2. They are bringing all the major Android phones to 2.2 for a reason.

MOST of the problems you are reading about are people who have their phones rooted and updated to 2.2 the improper way so they had all these issues.

If your phone isn't rooted you shouldn't have any problems. I mean think about it, right now almost every single person that has any type of droid that is newer has 2.2. All over America. And you are seeing a tiny fraction of people on this forum who have some troubles. And again, most of them were rooted.

stopthebus

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
If you listen to any music at all in the car and don't have an ipod, then I suggest you stick with 2.1.

I updated, turn out to be a useless piece of you know what when it come to music, so I went back to 2.1....for now.

Make sure you got s-off before upgrading.

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
If you listen to any music at all in the car and don't have an ipod, then I suggest you stick with 2.1.

I updated, turn out to be a useless piece of you know what when it come to music, so I went back to 2.1....for now.

Make sure you got s-off before upgrading.

I was playing music and Pandora today at work and had no problems. Pandora and the Music player both paused when I got text alerts but then continued playing.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm not buying it. It appears to me there are lots of folks who were running the stock 2.1 that are now having some pretty major issues. (What would be major issues to me if they were happening on my phone anyway.) And many of them have waited for, then downloaded the "Official OTA". Also, I don't do a lot of web browsing on my DInc so not having the full meal deal on Flash is of little consequence. I use my lap top for such things. (Maybe once in a blue moon I have the need to browse for something on the fly so what I have now works for me.) Also, as for those apps that have been upgraded for 2.2, they seem to be working fine for me on my "old" 2.1 OS. Then there is the issue of Bloatware. It's bad enough to have the City ID but to have to deal with more like it for the sake of some iffy benefits provided by the Froyo update for me is unacceptable.

I use my phone to conduct business as well as personal use so to not have my messaging, calendars, notes and phone all working correctly (which is why I decided to buy the Droid Incredible in the first place) is a matter of simple economics. My work involves solving problems for my clients... I certainly don't need the added burden of such a critical device as my DInc not working as designed to be an issue.

Now, to all those who have chosen to accept the 2.2 update I hope it fulfills your needs and wish you all the best. But to those who are leery of accepting this update, I certainly can understand your reluctance as well. I would not expect everyone to have the same needs in a phone as myself but one thing is undeniable, the forums are currently full of people having issues as a result of this update and more than just a few who wish they had the option to revert back to their ol' 2.1.

With all that said, I too would also like to ask, is there any way to stop getting the System Update message on my DInc until I decide if and when I want it? It's constantly popping up and this update notification is really beginning to get annoying!

Last edited:

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. Nothing wrong with staying on 2.1. But I bet if you wasn't a member of this forum and just an average user of the phone and the 2.2 update got pushed to you and you downloaded it you probably wouldn't experience any problems and you'd be like wow they just made a great phone even greater!

To me, 2.2 is the future. Some say it is overrated but it isn't. It makes what was a great phone even greater. There are lots of features and just over all speed and usability that got improved. They took a long time making this thing and I think they did it pretty right. Few bugs here and there but no one I know who did it correctly has had any major problems. That I know in person.

On this forum there are some. But there was also with 2.1. You can go to this forum at anytime and see all types of problems.

If you came to this forum right when the Dinc came out the entire forum is filled up with questions about all of these issues they are having.

Just like if you go to a mac forum you'll see tons of questions about people having problems and issues out of their macbook. But for the majority of us, we have no problems what so ever with the macbook.

That just comes with technology!

And the apps right now shouldn't have a problem with 2.1 like you said. But in the future they will. Because they will be tailored for 2.2 and developers won't even be looking at how most of them work on 2.1 because there aren't many 2.1 phones out there now. And within a year there won't be many people at at all with it.

But again if you're happier stay at 2.1! But just remember there will always be these problems. If you were looking into a new computer you could read great reviews on it and you could go to the forum and as I said before you'd see nothing but questions and horror stories about what went wrong with the computer. Would that stop you from getting the computer?

That just is and always has been technology!

Also just look at the upside. You're going to get a better signal which should help with your work. Your web browsing will be faster. You will have wireless N for wifi. The phone will run much smoother and a few other things.

The thing is, in a forum we can nit pick too. The bloatware sucks and I'm not saying it doesn't. But it's not as big of an issue as what you're probably thinking after reading all of this. I mean people were making a huge deal out of the phone saying the word "Droid" when it comes on. You see what I'm saying? The bloatware isn't as big of a downfall as it sounds. If I didn't know any better and read that I'd think wow the bloatware ruined the thing! But it doesn't. It actually isn't too much more than 2.1 had and honestly you don't really notice much of a difference. It's just a nit picking thing.

Last edited:

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks logan78511 Many good points!

No problem. I didn't mean to appear in anyway to try to sound like you have to do it. Because you don't. I just wanted to point out that if you go to a forum on any product it's going to look like there are a ton of problems and there aren't. And I didn't want you to not be able to benefit from 2.2 because of that.

I have a great Samsung HDTV but if I go to the forum about that TV right now I'll get post like "TV not turning out." "Sound not working." "Tv blew up." lol But it's a great tv.

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
^ I agree with what you said for the most part. None of the quirks with this update are showstoppers, but some of them are definite annoyances. I don't consider it nit picking for people to complain about the 'droid' notification at boot up, or most annoying to me, getting a prompt to install media manager software along with a web browser opening a Verizon link every time I plug my phone into a PC. I can handle what most people call bloatware, but the VZW media manager nag thing is beyond lame.

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
^ I agree with what you said for the most part. None of the quirks with this update are showstoppers, but some of them are definite annoyances. I don't consider it nit picking for people to complain about the 'droid' notification at boot up, or most annoying to me, getting a prompt to install media manager software along with a web browser opening a Verizon link every time I plug my phone into a PC. I can handle what most people call bloatware, but the VZW media manager nag thing is beyond lame.

I don't get that link when I plug mine in. But I'm using a Mac. But even if I did it would be no big deal for me to click it off. Split second. And the phone saying droid? That is nit picking to me. Because it isn't going to affect my day one bit if my phone says one word when it's turned on. lol Usually I turn it on and am in the kitchen making coffee anyway. And even if I wasn't it's just not something I care about.

If that annoys you that bad I can only imagine how everyday things in real life gets ya! lol

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
LOL well, the 'droid' thing is only a minor annoyance for me because there's no way to modify or cancel it without downloading an app. I can live with it though, since (like you) I normally only have to hear it first thing in the morning. I'm more annoyed by the media manager thing. It's more than a split second thing. First you have to click 'no' on the program pop up, and then close the web browser window that launches some sort of media thing. If you don't click the X before the media starts, it will sometimes take several tries to get the browser window to close. This particular thing only happens on my work pc running XP. On my W7 personal laptop, it only displays an auto-run dialog box. Unfortunately, I usually only plug my phone into a PC at work.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Install went flawlessly... phone works great. Follow the instructions exactly. No worries, your safe.

1. When you say follow the instructions exactly, do you just mean the instructions that come up on the phone itself ?.....Or, are there any other instructions to follow...such as something on the VZW site.

2. Also, does anyone know if the 2.2 update comes with a SD / File Explorer, or do we still need to use one of the explorers from the market ? I have been using Blackmoon File browser, which seems to work ok.

3. Also, my phone is not rooted. So, I shouldn't lose any apps. or data stored in my apps, right ??

I little nervous to to this, but I am tired of the prompt to update coming up and hopefully like others have stated, most people are having no problems...and we are just hearing from a small minority of people that had issues.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I updated a stock phone with the update.zip that was posted on AndroidCentral and no major issue of any kind . I am happy I have no regrets on updating to froyo,now I got it tweaked even happier with it. :D, its still a stock OS,maybe one day I will root once I get tho with all the reading on how ,lol :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2