because it is awful. I do not want to hear my phone yell droid at me everytime i turn it on...
    09-03-2010 08:19 AM
    I usually set mine to silent mode before I hit the rack for the night so I'm not hearing it get email all night. Then up in the morning, unplug, check the mail, power down (still in silent mode), bump charge once, power up when green and turn the sound back on after the boot up.

Obviously if you need to take calls overnight or need to use it for an alarm that might not work.
    09-03-2010 08:51 AM
    I hate it also. I get a look every time I power back on.
    09-03-2010 09:07 AM
    There is a free app in the market, Silent Boot, that does this. It automatically turns the sound back on after booting up, so you don't have to remember anything.
    09-03-2010 09:13 AM
    There are lots of threads about this and various solutions. I happen to like it, but if I want to keep it quiet, I muffle the speaker with my finger on boot. It works well.
    09-03-2010 09:14 AM
    the fact that verizon put this in there really upsets me. i guess ill have to look into silent boot because it seems there is no way to fix this without inconveniencing myself. thanks verizon, for nothing
    09-03-2010 09:22 AM
    Obviously if you need to take calls overnight or need to use it for an alarm that might not work.

I have mine on silent all night long, and the alarm still goes off.
    09-03-2010 09:33 AM
    I have mine on silent all night long, and the alarm still goes off.
    What is the alarm set for? If its in silent but there is an alarm set for 5am, its going to go off at 5am.

Froyo brought separate volume settings if you go to menu, settings, sounds, volume.

I have 4 settings

ringer
    media
    alarm
    notifications

just slide the slider to where you want it or mute them all.

Its not the most convienient or elegant solution but it works.
    09-03-2010 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD