newbie need help

sethlamb

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
so i just got the incredible after being with a blackberry for the past few years. the phone is sick, but having a hard time with a few things

1.does the screen always lock itself after it shuts down, i have it set to stay lit for 15 seconds and everytime i have to hit the top button and slide the screen lock down. this was a pain in the *** while using the gps feature on the phone.

2. do the emails get pushed the same as my bb? how can i arrange all emails and texts to go to the same folder just like on my bb?

3. i got the htc extended battery. its the one that htc makes, but verizon doesnt have a hard or soft case for the phone...any suggestions?

4. is it ok to use all the apps or is there certain manufactures to stay away from....which is the task killer everyone uses, and also if im in the google maps app and i backout of it....its still running in the background....is there an easier way to jump back into apps already running, or do i have to go back thru the app screen to find it?

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I am a former BB user, read the sticky on switching from BB to Android. In regards to your questions:

1. Yes, you get used to it, kinda annoying. Navigation will stop it from going to sleep, were you using maps?

2. Gmail and exchange get pushed, all others do not. My Gmail is instant, as well as my Outlook exchange account, faster than BB for sure. I believe there are apps for yahoo and msn that may speed up delivery, but I only use a Comcast account besides gmail and exchange. I have it set to every 15 minutes, that is freequent enough for me. Anytime you go into the inbox, you can set it to sync.

3. Check the accessories store, or ebay!

4. You should not need task killer, Froyo manages apps just fine. If you long press the home button, your 8 most recent apps show up. You can only truly exit out of certain apps, Navigation being one. Most apps in market should be fine.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree, get rid of the task killer. A VZW rep probably told you you need it, but they don't know jack. Unlike BB, when you back out of an app, android usually will close it if it does not get used. If it is a needed service, android will let it run in the background. BB EVERYthing runs in the background until you shut it down. The Task killer is then unnecessary and in most cases will close down services that certain apps may share, causing your phone to reopen what the task killer is constantly closing, using MORE battery instead of saving it.

As far as the Screen locking, there is an app called no lock that when enabled, will allow you to just press the power button to turn the screen on without the slide lock. HOWEVER, with this app, the volume buttons will awaken your screen as well. This happened to me and pulled my phone out once with the camera active and only 10% battery left because the camera was on for who knows how long.

Emails, the previous poster is right on. Gmail and Exchange sync are very fast. I also only use comcast. For this I use k-9 mail program from the market. It is still poll mail instead of push, but since I don't use this address for much, so I only set it to poll every hour. If you need your emails pushed, I suggest using the gmail account. You DID buy a google phone after all!

As far as the case for the extended battery, I did see on these forums someone post a website that did have a case. I thought they were all ugly so I didn't end up getting the extended battery. I just bought a second battery from ebay from a seller called batteryboss. I believe that is the seller. Many have confirmed that seller here on the forums as selling legit batteries on ebay and not fakes that will die in 2 months. Protecting my phone is a must, so going without a case for extra power is a no go for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463