What's the difference?

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently waiting for the unrevoked 3.2 tool to be re-released, and was wondering, for someone like me that just wants a simple root, what's the difference between unrevoked 3 and unrevoked forever? What will one get me over the other?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked3 is the root tool and recovery flasher. Forever turns the security signing on or off. It looks like the 3.2 release also does Forever. I had an s-off/on option in the recovery when I did mine last night.

Hope this helps.

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So would i just need to run the new unrevoked 3 tool when it comes out and be good, or will i need to run the forever tool afterwards? Does this make it so I can just turn s-on when waiting for an OTA, then turn s-off after?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You would need to flash back the stock recovery for OTA's.

I was looking at the recovery but I can't seem to find where I found the s-off/on last night so you may need to run Forever as well.

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ok so if i just want root, I can just run the first utility, then if I want s-off, I can run forever? will just doing the 3.2 update by itself cause me to lose any important functionality?

fbords

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I was looking for. Is forever required to flash custom roms, or just "unofficial" ones that are unsigned?

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I was looking for. Is forever required to flash custom roms, or just "unofficial" ones that are unsigned?

No. Forever just means that even if the current exploits to attain root are patched in future software updates, your phone will still be able to load a custom recovery utility, so you can still flash roms (which can give you back root access).

public:forever [RootWiki]

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000