Google Voice question

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
So I'm debating using my Google Voice number more, but is there a way to tell when someone calls you if that person is calling your actual cell phone number or your Google Voice number? That would be pretty helpful. Thanks!

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. There is a web setting so that it tells you it's a google voice caller. However, then it doesn't show you the caller's number, so you don't know if it's a known contact or not. You just see a GV call indicator. You can make them identify themselves and screen the call, if desired.
If you don't turn that GV indicator on, then you see their number and contact info, if you have any.

rub2008

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
+1. I agree. so far i just have it show my Gvoice number but then i cant view the called id for that call. I use my Gvoice for my business and ofcourse personal for cell. That would be a great thing to have is show us where its coming from.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes. There is a web setting so that it tells you it's a google voice caller. However, then it doesn't show you the caller's number, so you don't know if it's a known contact or not. You just see a GV call indicator. You can make them identify themselves and screen the call, if desired.
If you don't turn that GV indicator on, then you see their number and contact info, if you have any.

Where is that option? Is that in the app somewhere?

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Awesome, thank you - now if we could just combine the Google Voice number with the name of the incoming call, that would be great!

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, thank you - now if we could just combine the Google Voice number with the name of the incoming call, that would be great!

You're welcome :)
I agree. I wish we could see the caller ID AND know that they are calling the GV number. Hmmm, app idea...

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You can turn on call screening and it will say the name of the caller.
I had problems with people getting confused when my Google voice would ask them to say their name. Several just say "hello?" And that's what plays when I got the call.

I use Google voice as my primary now.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
You can turn on call screening and it will say the name of the caller.
I had problems with people getting confused when my Google voice would ask them to say their name. Several just say "hello?" And that's what plays when I got the call.

I use Google voice as my primary now.

Speaking of which, is there a way to delete those names? My wife called me from my parents house and gave her name. It's not a big deal, but it just bugs me knowing it's not right. :confused:

frunkiss

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well it only asks them to record their name if their number is not in your address book the first time they call. So delete her from your contacts. Then re-add it with her name.
I believe you can delete her info and have her redo it when she calls again.

YouTube - Google Voice - Call screening

Let us know if that works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670