Screen problems.

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I need some help, please!

I've got this HTC Incredible (original version), and it was working great, considering it's an older phone. Then I dropped it and cracked the screen. It still continued to work great.

Eventually, though, I decided to replace the screen. I've done this on several other phones before this one and ha, so I ordered a digitizer and replaced it.

Now... it SOMETIMES works great, and other times has haphazard problems.

Right now it's essentially useless... but I can't figure out how this could be a digitizer issue. I'm wondering if it's a software issue that just happened to start now.

Basically, it comes on fine and works fine if I'm playing games, using apps, etc (For the most time. Every once in awhile it freezes.) I can make the screen sleep and wake it back up no problem. I can make calls, as well. BUT... if/when the screen goes black while I'm on a call... that's it. It absolutely refuses to come back on whatsoever. Sometimes if I can keep it on during a call, then I can hang up the call... and THEN it freezes. So I can't view the screen during the call or hang up the call (if the other person doesn't), and I can't do anything else with the phone even if they do hang up. My only choice is to pull the battery and start the thing back up. Then it works fine. It's NOT a temporary hanging, as I have let the thing sit for hours before and it never works through whatever its issue is... the screen simply will not light back up (even if I press the top button) until I pull the battery.

So for three days now, I have to pull the battery after every single call. It's about to drive me insane!

My first question is how to determine whether this is a software issue or a hardware issue. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi. You could try to Uncheck the proximity sensor in the phone settings. Also select "power button ends call" and see if it helps. Let us know.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Well... before I could try this.... about 20 minutes ago... it froze again, so I rebooted it. And now none of the apps or gadgets are loading. In place of each one is an error message.

I've never seen this before! I tried restarting it, and it booted back up the same way! ::sigh::

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay... it "forgot" everything. I forgot my wifi, and it forgot all my synced accounts. My list of apps is now only what the phone came with, etc. Almost as though I'd done a factory reset, except it remembers where icons used to be and what they're called... it just can't find them.

Maybe I should try a factory reset at this point...

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay. I did a factory reset, and... it's still not working great. It's already frozen three times. I did successfully end two calls by turning the screen back on, pressing End Call, then the home page... and it didn't freeze. But on a third call, I just laid it down like normal... and it froze.

Last edited:

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay, here's where it seems to be right now after the factory reset.

When a call ends, if I can manually push the end call button and then the home button while the screen is on, then the phone continues to function fine.

But if I don't hit that red button before the screen goes black, then it's permanently frozen. A batter pull is the only thing that will let it come back on.

So the question is... HOW in the world do you fix a problem like this?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, here's where it seems to be right now after the factory reset.

When a call ends, if I can manually push the end call button and then the home button while the screen is on, then the phone continues to function fine.

But if I don't hit that red button before the screen goes black, then it's permanently frozen. A batter pull is the only thing that will let it come back on.

So the question is... HOW in the world do you fix a problem like this?

Go into the phone settings (or maybe access the settings from the dialer with the dialer app open) and turn off the proximity sensor. Then select "power button ends call". That should hopefully help. Let us know.

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't find any option like that.

Dialer open | Settings gives me only "Edit default message" "Edit message" "Save to contacts."

Settings | Call Options gives me three voicemail options, Auto retry, TTY mode, Hearing aids, Phone settings (same as above), Voice Privacy, NBPCD, Assisted Dialing, Accounts, and Use Internet calling

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't find any option like that.

Dialer open | Settings gives me only "Edit default message" "Edit message" "Save to contacts."

Settings | Call Options gives me three voicemail options, Auto retry, TTY mode, Hearing aids, Phone settings (same as above), Voice Privacy, NBPCD, Assisted Dialing, Accounts, and Use Internet calling

Can you take screenshots of your phone settings page? Here's what I see when I look at System Settings on one of my phones, it will look a little different on yours but you'll have these similar options somewhere.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386889430493.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386889430493.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386889444960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386889444960.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 5

Katie Peters

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how to take a screen shot of it.

This is Android 2.3.4.

The phone is working pretty well, as long as no one hangs up on me before I end the call. If I do that, then it freezes... and it keeps freezing (if I try to do much of anything) until I restart it using the power button a few times (to clear temporary files, etc).

It's like something in the software just doesn't know how to handle it when someone else ends the call. But what I don't get is why a hard reset did not fix it!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how to take a screen shot of it.

This is Android 2.3.4.

The phone is working pretty well, as long as no one hangs up on me before I end the call. If I do that, then it freezes... and it keeps freezing (if I try to do much of anything) until I restart it using the power button a few times (to clear temporary files, etc).

It's like something in the software just doesn't know how to handle it when someone else ends the call. But what I don't get is why a hard reset did not fix it!

So, in your phone's settings, you have no options like the ones I described and in my screenshots?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1