This morning I finally solved the intermittent yet chronic mystery of the disappearing Gmail messages on my phone.

It drove me crazy. Email conversation threads would simply vanish without rhyme or reason. I'd go days (almost two weeks) without a problem, then one day I'd check my phone and my history had vanished. Other days it seemed like a daily occurrence.

At first I thought it was my constant changing of ROMs (either bugs in the ROM I was using OR the act of changing from one ROM to another)...until I ruled both out. Also ruled out Battery pulls. Scoured the settings on my phone and nothing indicated why the messages were simply evaporating.

I finally resigned myself to never figuring out the issue, settling on 'it just happens...deal with it'. It wasn't like the messages were truly gone. I use Thunderbird (POP3 client) which sucks the email from Gmail's servers, so whatever wasn't on my phone, I'd just open Thunderbird to retrieve.

Anyway, this morning I needed to review an email I received a week or so ago. I checked my (phone) inbox, and had amassed a number of messages over the past few days. Unfortunately, the one I wanted wasn't there, so fired up Thunderbird, grabbed the attachment I was after, and shut it down.

Well about 10 minutes later I checked my phone...and I had 0 messages in my inbox. WTF?

Then it hit me...I have Gmail configured in Thunderbird to sync the mail server to my local machine, and then delete the synced mail from the server. I never really gave it much thought, until I came to the realization that whenever I opened Thunderbird to sync/clear my inbox on Gmail's server..I was also clearing my phone's inbox, then going crazy a short time later wondering what happened to my phone's inbox.

The more mail got deleted off my phone, the more I had to rely on TB. The more I opened TB, the more mail got deleted from my phone.

Not one of my finer moments...
    09-13-2010 09:23 AM
    Yep, that's the amazing (and sometimes frustrating) thing about Gmail. One little setting anywhere in the chain can change the behavior of your Email messaging. I've found some quirks (by accident!) myself. ie. Mail being deleted from one account but remaining within another.

Thanks for your post! It highlights how the flow of mail messages can be changed by a setting on any leg of the management process.

I'm not always the brightest bulb in the box myself and reading about what someone else has learned is why I continue to prowl these forums.

btw; Glad you got 'er figured out!

09-13-2010 12:56 PM
    This is the way all my POP3 email accounts work for me....

All my mail stays on my phone until I download to OUTLOOK...

Once OUTLOOK clears the server, when my Dinc goes out for mail (using k-9) all previous downloaded mail gets removed...

Not an issue for me as I only need mail on my phone when I am not sitting at my computer.

Lego!
    09-13-2010 01:24 PM

Once OUTLOOK clears the server, when my Dinc goes out for mail (using k-9) all previous downloaded mail gets removed...

Not an issue for me as I only need mail on my phone when I am not sitting at my computer.

Lego!
    This is exactly how I'm configured (and have been configured all along). My problem was I didn't extend the scope of the missing email mystery beyond the phone, so when my emails were being removed on the phone I didn't understand it was due to a setting I set three years ago when I moved into Thunderbird.

Now that I know why it's happening, I can adjust my behavior accordingly.
    09-13-2010 01:32 PM

This is exactly what my DINC is doing since the OTA upgrade to Froyo. Before that, email used to stay on the phone even after it was downloaded from the server to Outlook...

Any idea how to get it back to the way it used to be? Probably a setting somewhere but I haven't figured it out.
    09-14-2010 12:28 PM
    So what's the cell phone equivalent of PEBKAC?
    09-14-2010 04:04 PM
    @mikestorm - I believe that is refered to as an ID10T Error (Eye-D-Ten-Tee). It's a very advanced technical problem that I see almost every day!

09-14-2010 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD