could one of these apps be slughtering my battery

Dirty Crow

May 19, 2010
Visit site
ok. here's the deal. Issue 1) i have all the same battery issues that other people seem to have.

verizon techs say one of my apps are slaughtering the battery. recommended I hard reset and add apps back slowly... Ok i'm cool with that since its happen with two different batteries

done it before, same issue tho so I'm wondering if any one of the apps in the list below could be the clear culprit based on this forums experiences.

and yup, i have the always on network turned off and only turn on GPS when using it, never turn on blue tooth, ect ect.

- JuicePlotter
- UltimateJuice!
- White Noise Lite
- Advanced Task Killer
- Flash Player 10.1
- Street View on Google Maps
- AppBrain App Market
- JuiceDefender - battery saver
- Google Maps
- SCVNGR
- Google Voice
- TripAdvisor
- Trapster
- Relax and Sleep
- Mobile Banking
- Shopper
- Visible Vote Mobile
- Shazam
- WordPress
- SwiftKey Keyboard Beta
- Wifi Connecter Library
- Versus Hockey Mobile
- BatteryLife
- runstar? FREE
- Twitter
- GetGlue
- Scoreboard
- Google Sky Map
- Wifi Analyzer
- CNET Scan & Shop
- eBay
- Movies
- SportsTap
- Goby
- Backgrounds
- Listen
- Google Goggles
- tAttachApkInstaller
- Craigslist
- Foursquare
- Waze: Community GPS navigation
- Google Earth
- Kindle for Android
- doubleTwist Player
- FOX News
- Amazon MP3
- Tapatalk Forum App (Pro)
- Facebook for Android
- Fast Web Installer

plus add "tweet deck" to that list.

issue 2) What i really wish i could do, in addition to fixing my battery issues, is root this puppy and get rid of the bloatware verizon slapped into it. but i am teh noob and scared. anyone have a idiot proof step by step on how to do that?

Thanks in advanced folks!

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
oh and the number one user of my battery is always "android system"

Maybe find an app on the market to replace that buggy android system? ;)

Just kidding.

If it were me, I would first get rid of all the apps that are supposed to help battery life (ATK, the Juice apps, etc). Second thing I would do is go to 'settings, accounts and sync' and see what accounts are set up to sync, and remove whatever apps I don't want to sync automatically (My personal phone is set up to sync to google only. Everything else I sync manually as needed. If you are using Sense widgets, most definitely do NOT have the Friendstream widget set to auto sync.)

See what you get after trying this. My battery life still isn't all that great, but it's better than it was out of the box.

Dirty Crow

May 19, 2010
Visit site
lol, that damned android system! ;) I only threw that in cause on other peoples DINC. i see that display or cell stand by is the number one battery user. My android system is always by far the biggest hog, way so more then other DINCs i've seen.

google, facebook only set to synch. on FB I only have sync contacts.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
JuicePlotter
UltimateJuice!
Advanced Task Killer
BatteryLife
JuiceDefender - battery saver

delete all of the above

install

system panel and battery left

then if you are still having trouble you can use system panel to see what apps are running.

using battery left, click history and see how long the phone is running, it should be less than 50% and hopefully like 25% or so. That will tell you if the phone is "sleeping" Then click other usage and partial wake usage. This should better identify what is keeping the phone awake. it might even tell you the exact app.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Best way to track what is actually using the battery (as opposed to what is currently running) is SpareParts. It accesses the battery section of the testing menu (*#*#4636#*#* in the dialer). You can view "battery history," which will tell you what apps have used the battery according to CPU usage, network usage, GPS usage, sensor usage, and "partial wake" (i.e., prevent sleep) usage. 99% of the time this will identify your rogue program. My guess is one of these is keeping the phone awake -- and that is probably ATK.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Revolutionary I used *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer and found that facebook, twitter and ESPN scorecenter were big culprits in partial wake usage as well as other areas. I tweaked or shutoff their automatic sync intervals and removed related widgets. So far I've seen a slight improvement in battery life and recharging time.

I still go into Setting > Applications > Manage Applications > Running and force stop applications like games, etc that I haven't used in a while. I think that can help a little. Ultimately finding what is eating the battery and tweaking it is your best bet though.

Jim

Last edited: