Any "must haves" for my b-day list?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
My wife's side of the family makes a big deal out of birthdays. Mine is coming up and they are requesting a list as always. Anything you all have for your phone that I could possibly add to the list. I already have a nice case / holster combo I am happy with. Already on my list is a 16GB card and second "wall charger" for work. Help me build my list! Thanks.

Jim

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Bah, go all out for the 32GB card! :)

Haha, I thought about it, but also trying to be aware of costs to people. I may up it to the 32GB.

I have a question about the card. Is it safe to just go to like tigerdirect.com and buy any old MicroSD card? Or do I have to research compatibility? This is one I was looking at that seems like a great price for a Class 4.

Patriot PSF16GMCSDHC43P Signature MicroSDHC Card - 16GB, Class 4 at TigerDirect.com

I have a Patriot Class 6 SD card for my Canon camera that works great, and they seem to be a great value. Thanks!

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Dunno -- in theory you shouldn't need to worry about compatibility, but I recall from my digicam days that every now and then certain cards don't work with certain devices. I haven't heard about any incompatibility issues for the Dinc, though. The number of 16GB MSD cards out there isn't that great.

I have a Kingston Class 10 16GB that works really well. Very quick read/writes. But for the price you can get a 32GB Class 4...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would on minimum ask for:
16GB card
1750 battery
iZel Stand
InnoCase II

Recommended:
32GB card
2150 battery
iZel Stand
InnoCase Active or Otterbox.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would ask for the Seidio 1750 battery and the external battery charger, that way you always have a fully charged battery ready.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 for the 1750 battery. If you find the stock battery to be almost sufficient, then the 1750 is an easy upgrade that will get you the rest of the way there.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I've really thought about the battery upgrade, but does it add much bulk? Also, I'd have to get a different case / holster combo. I have charging capabilities at home, work and in my car. Since I spend 90% of my life in one of those 3 places the terrible battery life hasn't been a big issue. I know there will come a time (vacations, business trips, etc) that I will wish I had a better battery. So the battery upgrade has entered my mind, but I really love the size of my phone as is right now. Can anyone with a bigger battery tell me if they use (if it is made) a case / holster combo to accommodate the larger size?

Never heard of the iZel stand. Checking it out now online. I think this is going on the list. Thanks!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I've really thought about the battery upgrade, but does it add much bulk? Also, I'd have to get a different case / holster combo. I have charging capabilities at home, work and in my car. Since I spend 90% of my life in one of those 3 places the terrible battery life hasn't been a big issue. I know there will come a time (vacations, business trips, etc) that I will wish I had a better battery. So the battery upgrade has entered my mind, but I really love the size of my phone as is right now. Can anyone with a bigger battery tell me if they use (if it is made) a case / holster combo to accommodate the larger size?

Never heard of the iZel stand. Checking it out now online. I think this is going on the list. Thanks!

1750 = No extra width
2150 = ~1mm
3500 = ~3mm

So not much of a difference. Some people actually say it makes the phone fit their hand a bit better. Guess it's personal preference. I like the original form factor so I've got a 1750 but have been toying with the idea of stepping up to the 2150 for the extra head room over my 1750.

As far as cases for the extended batteries I don't believe there is any. People have modded the InnoII Cases and the silicone cases to work with the 2150 and 3500's though. Not optimal in my opinion. I'm like you however and have charging options pretty much wherever I'm at so I just use the 1750, Seidio InnoII Case combo which has a holster with it. I really like this setup!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
1750 = No extra width
2150 = ~1mm
3500 = ~3mm

So not much of a difference. Some people actually say it makes the phone fit their hand a bit better. Guess it's personal preference. I like the original form factor so I've got a 1750 but have been toying with the idea of stepping up to the 2150 for the extra head room over my 1750.

As far as cases for the extended batteries I don't believe there is any. People have modded the InnoII Cases and the silicone cases to work with the 2150 and 3500's though. Not optimal in my opinion. I'm like you however and have charging options pretty much wherever I'm at so I just use the 1750, Seidio InnoII Case combo which has a holster with it. I really like this setup!

If you step up I want to buy your 1750!

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
1750 = No extra width
2150 = ~1mm
3500 = ~3mm

You all are giving me some great ideas! So the 1750 doesn't require a different rear cover? Meaning I could get it and use my current case / holster combo? Was the difference in battery life worth the upgrade, in your opinion? Thanks!

I still run the stock battery and have a 16gb class 2 card.

Thing to keep in mind with mulitple batteries you will have to always take your case on and off and with seidio, etc. it causes wear and tear.

I would look at this portable charger:
I love it!
Energizer® XP2000 for Smart Phones, Cell Phones, and More!

Yeah I can't say I'm interested in swapping out batteries too often. Now this power pack looks like a good idea. Thanks!

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll chime in for the 3500 battery + Seidio battery charger dock.

If you have a relative that can't swing either of those, a nice inexpensive gift is the cute and clever iCarpus stand.. I have this and love it. It's small enough to drop in any travel bag or purse and stands solidly in landscape or portrait.

An Aquapac - yes, I know the summer's over but maybe you live in sunnier climes than I do. This was a great thing to have while milling about in Cape Cod Bay over the summer.

Also, why not an Amazon GC? That way you can do your own shopping!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You all are giving me some great ideas! So the 1750 doesn't require a different rear cover? Meaning I could get it and use my current case / holster combo? Was the difference in battery life worth the upgrade, in your opinion? Thanks!

Yeah I can't say I'm interested in swapping out batteries too often. Now this power pack looks like a good idea. Thanks!

Not all all it uses the stock battery cover, so all cases holsters etc will still work with it. The difference in battery life was amazing for me. I went from 5-6 hours on the stock battery to about 10-12 on the 1750. After messing around with ROM and kernels I have extended my life out to 16-20 hours on it.

I do not want to swap batteries back and forth, it's simply not an option in my opinion. I don't think that battery cover can take too much on and off.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I swap out my batteries twice a day, once when I get up I put in the 1750 which will get me through the day then in the evening I put in the stock which gets me to the morning. Best part is I never need to plug in the phone so it can always be on me.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Too much for me, call me lazy, but I don't like the idea of swapping batteries out. But I'm around a computer somewhere all day etc. so I normally throw it in my iZel when it looks to be getting low and let it charge while I'm at the desk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana