3G hotspot connection drops

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Using latest mac OS and pay for broadband connect. The airport recognizes and connects to the 3G hotspot and will start to surf (used on both safari and chrome) but the connection speed frequently drops to zero then comes back randomly. This is odd because using USB tether speed is much more constant/reliable. Anyone else have a similar issue or suggested fix? much thanks

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had those issues with it. But you may want to download "Wifi Analyzer" from the market and make sure you don't have another WiFi connection interfering with yours.

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I suspect this is a MAC OS issue. 3g hotspot works flawlessly on win 7. Very frustrating. Have roamed MAC forums and no working solutions. All that MAC glitter ain't gold I guess.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
You could try rooting and using wireless tether. I have not had any problems with my macbook, but I haven't used it with the mac very often. Mostly use it with my brother's ipad.

naga

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen with both mac's and pc's. I turned off the hotspot service because VZ could not resolve it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

whtciv2k

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Go into the 3g hotspot options and make sure that the DHCP setting is enabled. I had a problem with this a few days ago. took me awhile to figure it out. See if it'll solve your problem and let me know if it doesn't.

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've tried with and w/o dhcp on. Doesn't improve anything. Have also tried with diff security settings and turning security off. Has no affect. Tried on another MAC running snow leopard, same problem. Confirmed hotspot works flawlessly on win 7 and xp. Lame. It should work on both. Perhaps Mr jobs is behind this.

Last edited:

whtciv2k

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I've tried with and w/o dhcp on. Doesn't improve anything. Have also tried with diff security settings and turning security off. Has no affect. Tried on another MAC running snow leopard, same problem. Confirmed hotspot works flawlessly on win 7 and xp. Lame. It should work on both. Perhaps Mr jobs is behind this.

So you're trying to connect using a MAC. If you haven't already done so, try this.

Is there a setting on the mac that lets the wireless card go to "sleep" if it has been idle for a little?

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Haven't tried that. Will look for that option. It is a 2010 imac so not sure that power saver is needed since it doesn't run batteries. Thanks for the help.