The Wi-Fi problem

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I found this in HTC's support forum and I thought I would share it with you. I have a Belkin Router N1 as well. I have been extremely frustrated with this not only because of the many hours I've put in to fixing the problem but just for the simple fact I've lost a capability I had before I got the update.

"Here is what I have found. If I set to a static IP address it will connect to my Belkin Router N1. When I switch to Dynamic IP it will connect to the router...... THe router will issue an IP address..... the phone hangs in Obtaining the IP address. When I open WIFI analyser it says disable scan while obtaining IP address. I have tried every combination of the router in setting it up including Open source with no MAC Filtering.... and changing channels and it makes no difference. In every case of the configuration of the router I also switch back to Static IP and was able to connect. This tells me that there is a problem with the update. I also spoke with a Tier 2 tech at HTC and he acknowledged that there was a problem with the phone. I received a replacement phone and right out of the box setup it had the same problem. HTC needs to own up to this problem and fix it right away."

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you are doing but mine connects to well over 10 different wireless networks I use perfectly each time.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got a netgear router model WNDR3700 and connects just fine as well as any other wifi that is open (or they left default password and I fiqured out their password)connects just fine to. My router is set up recommended for the most part(a few tweaks ) so I would call that default setup.I dont have an issue either connecting up

Last edited:

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you have another modem you could try connecting with? Is your Belkin router firmware up to date? The problem isn't necessary your phone.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have a problem when I have my router set to n/g/b. My phone will connect and then lose the signal after a while. When I have the router set to g/b only, no problems. I have the same thing at work. I don't know if it just my phone or a systemic problem.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My router is on the latest firmware. I don't have any other modems or routers. I don't see why I would need to replace them when it worked just fine on 2.1. I have been able to connect to other Wi-Fi routers but I don't now their speeds or settings (i.e. I've connect to the DMV Wi-Fi no problem but I don't know anything about their Wi-Fi). I guess I just don't understand why I didn't have any problems and nothing has changed with the exception of moving from 2.1 to 2.2.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have a problem when I have my router set to n/g/b. My phone will connect and then lose the signal after a while. When I have the router set to g/b only, no problems. I have the same thing at work. I don't know if it just my phone or a systemic problem.

I tried this and I'm still having problems. I literally changed almost every setting. I've heard having a WAN connection type of dynamic is a problem, like I said in the first post.

I've Googled the issue and I'm far from the first one to have this problem. It's not only a "Belkin issue".

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
As a personal favor to me can you not post "I have never had any trouble with Wi-Fi connections." Maybe, attempt to use a search engine. Apparently, others have heard of the issue. Telling me you don't have an issue doesn't help me solve my problem. I'm not sure why you would post that other than to be condescending.

micar511

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
As a personal favor to me can you not post "I have never had any trouble with Wi-Fi connections." Maybe, attempt to use a search engine. Apparently, others have heard of the issue. Telling me you don't have an issue doesn't help me solve my problem. I'm not sure why you would post that other than to be condescending.

MetalPhoenix as a personal favor to me, if you are just thinking out-loud, rather thinking about your problem and your frustration, and you miss something you had because you no longer do, and quote a paragraph about it from someone else who has experienced what you are going through, doesn't do anything whatsoever for anyone including yourself. You haven't once asked for advice, assistance, feedback, but just complained essentially. The quote serves no purpose at all. Perhaps speaking with a friend, maybe a counselor, about why this makes you frustrated, will bring you better fortune, and help you deal with your emotions in a different way. Some people think of these as coaches, life coaches.

When you post something like this on the forum, I anticipate, and I'm confident that others do as well, that you are posting this to get some feedback, and hopefully that someone has gone through the same set of issues and got their phone to work like it used to.

Mine connects to any wifi it detects, and is probably flirting with your router right this very second. Just some food for thought. Who knows where you will put this on your quest to find someone to fix your problem for you. Maybe, you should keep trying, maybe you should give up, but if you decide to think some more, maybe you should write it in your diary.

bragging rights, my wifi is better than yours, is a ridiculous notion and huge presumption. Then again, you didn't let us know that you could tell what others are thinking by reading off of an electronic device something that was typed by someone, somewhere on a physical keyboard of another electronic, yet different device - what else can you do? Can you ask for help when you need it? some more food for thought...you're in charge metalfirebird slash dragon being...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Kind of funny, we could have been rude and told you this from the start. Now quite sprinkling troll food and follow your own suggestion. I would attempt to help in this situation, as it is solvable, but after this notation I don't believe anyone can help you. But the answer can be found by using a search engine......

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
As usual this forum is so helpful. Instead of telling someone how to fix the problem or suggesting a solution the entire conversation gets dumbed down to name calling of the OP and how they are unable to control their anger issues. When I post I'm having this problem and it seems to be a "known" problem from HTC the responses I get are "I have no problem". How does that help? Who does that help that has the same problem? What is the purpose behind that post?

So if someone complains about their phone rebooting and can't figure out why it's the job of the people in the forum to tell them "it's not my problem"? I thought Android was supposed to be inclusive rather than exclusive.

So I need a life coach or a counselor? People wonder why I think "some" of the people in this forum are condescending.

Again, if you are confident, like you say "I'm confident that others do as well, that you are posting this to get some feedback, and hopefully that someone has gone through the same set of issues and got their phone to work like it used to." Exactly!

Why would anyone post I have no problems. To me, in that statement what the poster is saying is that it is user error.

I've never once bragged about my router. I was simply stating what router I had so, if someone had the same router and fixed the problem they then could help me.

micar511 and Qazme, go ahead, call me names, tell me about my anger issues because obviously you know me so well. Next time I guess I will have to be more specific.

micar511 and Qazme, how is this for your liking? Is this sufficient?

I have a Belkin Wireless N Router (not bragging, I swear).
My Incredible was able to connect to it before the 2.2 OTA update.
I am able to connect to other routers (i.e. DMV).
I have tried changing every setting on my router.
My router is on the latest firmware (again, not bragging).
If anyone can help please do.

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Another thought. If the router is N speed. What release of N? I had some issues with a few different routers trying to connect to them from laptops with incompatible versions of N.

What version of radio are you at?

I believe the updated radio 2.15 also enable the N protocol. If your router isn't N draft 2.0, that may be causing some of the issues.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
As usual this forum is so helpful. Instead of telling someone how to fix the problem or suggesting a solution the entire conversation gets dumbed down to name calling of the OP and how they are unable to control their anger issues. When I post I'm having this problem and it seems to be a "known" problem from HTC the responses I get are "I have no problem". How does that help? Who does that help that has the same problem? What is the purpose behind that post?

So if someone complains about their phone rebooting and can't figure out why it's the job of the people in the forum to tell them "it's not my problem"? I thought Android was supposed to be inclusive rather than exclusive.

So I need a life coach or a counselor? People wonder why I think "some" of the people in this forum are condescending.

Again, if you are confident, like you say "I'm confident that others do as well, that you are posting this to get some feedback, and hopefully that someone has gone through the same set of issues and got their phone to work like it used to." Exactly!

Why would anyone post I have no problems. To me, in that statement what the poster is saying is that it is user error.

I've never once bragged about my router. I was simply stating what router I had so, if someone had the same router and fixed the problem they then could help me.

micar511 and Qazme, go ahead, call me names, tell me about my anger issues because obviously you know me so well. Next time I guess I will have to be more specific.

micar511 and Qazme, how is this for your liking? Is this sufficient?

I have a Belkin Wireless N Router (not bragging, I swear).
My Incredible was able to connect to it before the 2.2 OTA update.
I am able to connect to other routers (i.e. DMV).
I have tried changing every setting on my router.
My router is on the latest firmware (again, not bragging).
If anyone can help please do.

When did I ever call you a name? Wow dude get off your high horse. I guess I can try to search for you and give you an answer to a problem that has been covered numerous times on all the website you have talked about visiting. I have seen people with this issue on modded ROMs with hacked up kernels and radios that aren't supported. On the official ROM you should not be having this issue, however the people I have read that have this issue have Belkin routers. Namely 5Ghz N belkin routers, in which the phone isn't compatible with on the hardware side. Only 2.4Ghz dual bands work. Have you tried dropping your connection speed to G and see what happens yet? The security settings you are using are correct, I've got a wireless N linksys that is working fine with those same settings.

So back to what has already been suggested, have you tried a different router. This isn't a hardware compatibility issue it's purely software(unless you have a 5Ghz router), namely the new radio in Froyo.

You could also try setting up a static IP on the phone. That solves some people's issue with Belkin Routers and Froyo. Or here is a thread on it several people with your issue have 'fixed' it.
http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/163090-froyo-wireless-n.html

And there are several hundred more sites linking the same fix covering eclair up to froyo with the same issue on belkin routers. Go figure....

But of course using a search engine you could have found that answer yourself, like you stated earlier. But instead you want to START the attack I might add. But you're right we are the bad guys......figures.....

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I think when you said "quite sprinkling troll food" you had a very obvious and intended designation for me.

How is this not rude? "Kind of funny, we could have been rude and told you this from the start. Now quite sprinkling troll food..."

I didn't know I was on my high horse by simply asking for help. I feel like such a jerk. Be sure I will never ask for help in this forum again.

This isn't condescending? "And there are several hundred more sites linking the same fix covering eclair up to froyo with the same issue on belkin routers. Go figure....". "But of course using a search engine you could have found that answer yourself".

I thank you for your help but maybe telling people how stupid they are and being demeaning when talking to them isn't the best way to help someone. When I say I'm frustrated and you tell me you have no problems, what is the point of that statement? I mean how does that help? I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I'm not sure what is supposed to be taken away from that and who exactly that helps. I'm obviously asking for help and feel I have exhausted my resources. When I say I feel someone is condescending I don't believe that is me being on my high horse. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe that wasn't your intent, but again, what is the point of that statement?

I agree when I said "Maybe, attempt to use a search engine." I was rude. I think most would agree all of your post have been demeaning and that isn't helpful to anyone.

I am not running any ROMs. It is stock. I'm using a 2.4Ghz dual band. I have tried dropping it to G and that hasn't helped.

This actually helped. http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/163090-froyo-wireless-n.htm

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think when you said "quite sprinkling troll food" you had a very obvious and intended designation for me.

How is this not rude? "Kind of funny, we could have been rude and told you this from the start. Now quite sprinkling troll food..."

I didn't know I was on my high horse by simply asking for help. I feel like such a jerk. Be sure I will never ask for help in this forum again.

This isn't condescending? "And there are several hundred more sites linking the same fix covering eclair up to froyo with the same issue on belkin routers. Go figure....". "But of course using a search engine you could have found that answer yourself".

I thank you for your help but maybe telling people how stupid they are and being demeaning when talking to them isn't the best way to help someone. When I say I'm frustrated and you tell me you have no problems, what is the point of that statement? I mean how does that help? I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I'm not sure what is supposed to be taken away from that and who exactly that helps. I'm obviously asking for help and feel I have exhausted my resources. When I say I feel someone is condescending I don't believe that is me being on my high horse. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe that wasn't your intent, but again, what is the point of that statement?

I agree when I said "Maybe, attempt to use a search engine." I was rude. I think most would agree all of your post have been demeaning and that isn't helpful to anyone.

I am not running any ROMs. It is stock. I'm using a 2.4Ghz dual band. I have tried dropping it to G and that hasn't helped.

This actually helped. http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/163090-froyo-wireless-n.htm

Quit sprinkling troll food was in response to you jumping on the other poster. IE he is a troll you are attracting him, or me in this case, to attack you. It was not me saying, "You are a troll", which btw you did quickly become. You weren't on your high horse from asking a question, you were on your high horse by saying we were:

MetalPhoenix79 said:
As a personal favor to me can you not post "I have never had any trouble with Wi-Fi connections." Maybe, attempt to use a search engine.

And yes you do look like a jerk, especially when someone simply says, "I'm not having that issue", then you jump on the defensive and BEG someone to reply with something negative. Then when it happens you don't know how to handle it other than being, said jerk, especially when you don't even understand that the 'cut-downs' were not pointed at you.

The simple answer on why respond the way the first two responses were done is to push your post to the top so that maybe someone who has more insight sees it and responds. Pretty dopey thing to do, what you did. We could have not responded at all, your post would have fallen to the bottom of the mix and you would still not have an answer. So much for bumping.....

And you say you exhausted your resources....well I used a website called Google, and found a couple hundred sites within 10 seconds that had posting talking about it, and several of them had at least 4 different things that people did to fix the issue you were having. I just felt after your rather rash reply it deserved on in reply.

All of my post have not been demeaning. My first one simply said, "Not sure what you are doing but mine connects to well over 10 different wireless networks I use perfectly each time."

WHOA slow down I'm attacking the crap out of you.....instead of saying why do you post that you're an idiot it doesn't help me rah rah rah....don't you think it would have been helpful to YOU to ask, "how do you have yours setup", or how about, "really mines not doing anything right, here are my settings and what I'm using".....seems it would be more conductive to functional conversation. Why do you think "everyone is out to get you".

But then you say the link I posted was helpful???

Qazme said:
You could also try setting up a static IP on the phone. That solves some people's issue with Belkin Routers and Froyo. Or here is a thread on it several people with your issue have 'fixed' it.
http://androidforums.com/incredible-...ireless-n.html

dharr18 and mahroni, I thank you for your help.

Especially since your answer came from me.....go figure, get off your hate horse dude and beat it instead of riding it.

Image that, but I'm hateful, demeaning, condescending, etc. But you gave us nothing to go on.......how do you expect us to respond!

Do us all a favor and try to get information next time instead of attacking, especially considering most of us only use this site and nobody has posted here saying their WiFi wasn't working.

If you drop it to G and it still doesn't work it's not a Froyo issue. Plain and simple. There are too many people who use it everyday just fine.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar