installtion error - unknown reason - 18

sweet13

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Um what does that even mean i keep getting that when i try to install quite a few apps and even when I'm trying to update a few apps how can i fix it, did i maybe do something wrong...I've been have this problem ever since i updated to 2.2 ... if anyone can help please...

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You got two choices. Factory reset the phone and wipe the cache etc. OR install adb boot into recovery and issue this command.

su
rm /mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

Also check your SD card and delete everything in there. And try the install one more time.

sweet13

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
thank you for the help turns out it was the SD card unmounted it and all the apps installed no problems must be something bad on the card.

skisquash

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No need to clear the ROM or reset your phone.

Simply apply this solution to resolve the issue; You need to delete one file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec. Either put your microSD into a card reader and delete the file or connect your phone to your pc and remove the file. Works like a charm and the error will not return. :)

judenellie16

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
No need to clear the ROM or reset your phone.

Simply apply this solution to resolve the issue; You need to delete one file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec. Either put your microSD into a card reader and delete the file or connect your phone to your pc and remove the file. Works like a charm and the error will not return. :)

Cracking m8 did what u said and now angry birds installs after error -18 cheers m8

bmb0y

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the solution...worked like a charm! Just a quick question, so that i can better understand...what does smdl2tmp1.asec do?

Techguy5070

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

You are talking about Android App Error 18, it actually hinder users from installation. This is the worst situation that an Android user can encounter. I was also so worried about this, but then I found a very useful video tutorial that has given me accurate solutions. I like to share this tutorial with you so that you can resolve the problem: here is the link to this tutorial Fix Error 18 - Android App Installation Error - YouTube

I hope you will resolve the problem with the help of above video tutorial.

Wish you best of luck!