"Low on space. Application data space is low." notification.

courthaven

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Here's what worked for me

i was getting this for weeks and then about 2 weeks ago I uninstalled the latest Facebook update and ever since I have been fine. I hope that works for you.

FYI..I did it as if I was about to uninstall the app, instead it only showed the option to uninstall update.

Good luck!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've gotten the 'Low Space' warning off-and-on for a year now, but nothing a quick data clear couldn't fix. But, I had downloaded Plants vs. Zombies not long ago, and just beat the game. Once you beat the game, a 'music video' of the Zombies is supposed to come up. Well, my phone didn't like that. Got a black screen, then a force close. When it closed, I had BOTH the 'Low Space' warning AS WELL AS another 'Low Space' warning for SMS/MMS messages, which I have NEVER received before.

After going through the typical cache and data clearing motions, nothing worked. The SMS/MMS warning went away after a few clears (this wasn't due to my text space, as I had just done a text clear last week and don't text all that much), but the Low Space warning stuck around.

After a small search, I found a few posts saying that Friend Stream had a lot to do with it, as it constantly syncs with accounts and pulls pics and such. Since I haven't used Friend Stream since day 5 of owning the phone, I went in and unmatched my FB account with it. It worked (along with me clearing out my Gmail of old/usless emails) but, what else did that do? It UNLINKED Facebook with my contacts as well (now have to go through the process of linking them back up).

However, a secondary question/issue came up. When I went into the 'Sync' menu option, and 'Add Account' I have both Facebook and Facebook For HTC Sense listed. But, when I click 'Facebook' nothing happens. So, its basically forcing me to use the FB for HTC Sense in order to log in/sync to my contacts. But, I don't use that app at all (just use the FB for Android app). And I'm pretty sure logging in to FB for HTC will get Friend Stream going again (it did).

So, now my question is: Is there some way to sync my contacrs to 'regular' Facebook without logging in/activating FB for HTC Sense?

Ryp11

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had their phone stop getting emails and messages with this low on space warning? I've been getting it for about 3-4 months and have been clearing the cache and not using the HTCmail and it would go way for a while. Well today it's back and now I'm not getting any emails on texts or Android Central notifications. It's driving me nuts. Thanks

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
No longer receiving messages in the Gmail app is usually the first sign that my phone is experiencing low space warnings. I can usually force the app to sync if I scroll to the *bottom* of the message list.

I'm experiencing low space warnings daily now. I'm clearing the cache for all of my apps every day--but sometimes even *that* doesn't resolve the problem.

This is becoming beyond frustrating. If the 150 MB limit for the data folder (that ngc457 commented on a few weeks ago) is a true Android limitation, when will it be fixed? And is there a simple way to determine which apps are (ab)using the 150 MB? I can't (and won't) keep clearing cache and data for apps indefinitely; I have too many other more important things to tend to.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
for me, plants vs zombies was the problem. I used to get it periodically and deleting a few message threads in handcent did the trick. But I changed my Rom recently and now it seems every time I try to restore plants vs zombies, I get the message and it can sometimes throw it into a boot loop, that requires me restoring to a backup to get out of.

diskeyes

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
HTC Incredible from Verizon, running v2.2. I love my phone. Really. It's my Little Buddy. But I've had this problem, off and on, for years. It's annoying as hell. I've found a few ways to fix it. These are all mentioned in numerous other threads, here and elsewhere, but these are the methods that worked for me. By "worked", I mean they've made the problem go away temporarily, sometimes for several months, but the stupid erroneous error keeps coming back. Some methods are less painful than others, but all include some loss of data or worse. Seriously, HTC, please fix this!

#Factory_Reset - I mention this one first, but it's really the last resort, in my opinion. It always works, but it's a pain in the ass. I use #AppBrain, which makes it relatively easy to restore my applications, but resetting all of the settings everywhere is a royal pain.
Go to Settings, SD & Phone Storage, scroll to the bottom, hit Factory Reset, answer all warnings affirmatively, wait for your phone to perform it's own brain-ectomy, wait for it to reboot, and, yay!, you've got your old brand new phone back. Have fun putting EVERYTHING back the way you want it and
Re-installing all your apps.

#Clear_Caches - Clearing Caches is pretty safe. You won't lose anything too valuable - maybe some saved user ids and/or passwords, nothing serious. WARNING! If you Clear Data, instead of Clear Cache, you may lose more valuable stuff like settings, saved scores, etc. (If you're willing to do that, you may want to consider the #Factory_Reset mentioned above).
Go to Settings, Manage Applications, select the All Applications tab, and find the setting called, "com.htc.socialnetwork.prov...something_or_other" (I can't see the whole name on my phone, because Settings don't display in landscape on my phone). Clear this cache. Clear any caches for any other applications too. Little harm, couldn't hurt. Try clearing the Messages application cache too - I think this worked for me once. If, after clearing caches, the error icon doesn't disappear, you'll need to try one of the other methods.

#Delete_Messages - I'm talking SMS/MMS messages here. The stock Messages app. You can guess what you'll lose with this method. All your message threads will be gone. Do you care? Anything real valuable in there? Probably not (for me). You decide.
Open the Messages app. Make sure you're on the All Messages screen. Tap Menu, tap Delete, tap Menu, tap Delete all Threads, tap OK. Wait and see. Did the error icon go away? Works for me pretty well.
You can try to messing around with the other Messages Settings, too. Couldn't hurt.

#Keep_Email_Very_Tidy - I'm talking the stock Email app here (not the Gmail app). If you've got a lot of emails on your phone, Try getting rid of some or all of them. Make sure you empty the Trash folders, Sent Items Folders, Drafts Folder, etc. You may also want to delete all the accounts you've configured and re-configure them - just to give yourself a clean start. This worked for me once. Since then, I keep my email very tidy. I keep email messages on the phone only as long as necessary. I'm actually a bit obsessive about this, now that I think about it. And, yes, the stock Email app sucks out loud. I've tried using others, and some are definitely better than others, but none have prevented the problem from reoccurring (permanently).

I've read that others have had success by abandoning the stock Messaging and Email apps, and using third party apps instead. No doubt that the stock apps are pretty bad. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that (at least one of) the root-cause(s) of the problem lies somewhere in these applications, But I've tried a few, the most popular ones anyway, and none have permanently solved the problem (for me).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Please, HTC, fix this problem!

melcher70

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC Incredible from Verizon, running v2.2. I love my phone. Really. It's my Little Buddy. But I've had this problem, off and on, for years. It's annoying as hell. I've found a few ways to fix it. These are all mentioned in numerous other threads, here and elsewhere, but these are the methods that worked for me. By "worked", I mean they've made the problem go away temporarily, sometimes for several months, but the stupid erroneous error keeps coming back. Some methods are less painful than others, but all include some loss of data or worse. Seriously, HTC, please fix this!

#Factory_Reset - I mention this one first, but it's really the last resort, in my opinion. It always works, but it's a pain in the ass. I use #AppBrain, which makes it relatively easy to restore my applications, but resetting all of the settings everywhere is a royal pain.
Go to Settings, SD & Phone Storage, scroll to the bottom, hit Factory Reset, answer all warnings affirmatively, wait for your phone to perform it's own brain-ectomy, wait for it to reboot, and, yay!, you've got your old brand new phone back. Have fun putting EVERYTHING back the way you want it and
Re-installing all your apps.

#Clear_Caches - Clearing Caches is pretty safe. You won't lose anything too valuable - maybe some saved user ids and/or passwords, nothing serious. WARNING! If you Clear Data, instead of Clear Cache, you may lose more valuable stuff like settings, saved scores, etc. (If you're willing to do that, you may want to consider the #Factory_Reset mentioned above).
Go to Settings, Manage Applications, select the All Applications tab, and find the setting called, "com.htc.socialnetwork.prov...something_or_other" (I can't see the whole name on my phone, because Settings don't display in landscape on my phone). Clear this cache. Clear any caches for any other applications too. Little harm, couldn't hurt. Try clearing the Messages application cache too - I think this worked for me once. If, after clearing caches, the error icon doesn't disappear, you'll need to try one of the other methods.

#Delete_Messages - I'm talking SMS/MMS messages here. The stock Messages app. You can guess what you'll lose with this method. All your message threads will be gone. Do you care? Anything real valuable in there? Probably not (for me). You decide.
Open the Messages app. Make sure you're on the All Messages screen. Tap Menu, tap Delete, tap Menu, tap Delete all Threads, tap OK. Wait and see. Did the error icon go away? Works for me pretty well.
You can try to messing around with the other Messages Settings, too. Couldn't hurt.

#Keep_Email_Very_Tidy - I'm talking the stock Email app here (not the Gmail app). If you've got a lot of emails on your phone, Try getting rid of some or all of them. Make sure you empty the Trash folders, Sent Items Folders, Drafts Folder, etc. You may also want to delete all the accounts you've configured and re-configure them - just to give yourself a clean start. This worked for me once. Since then, I keep my email very tidy. I keep email messages on the phone only as long as necessary. I'm actually a bit obsessive about this, now that I think about it. And, yes, the stock Email app sucks out loud. I've tried using others, and some are definitely better than others, but none have prevented the problem from reoccurring (permanently).

I've read that others have had success by abandoning the stock Messaging and Email apps, and using third party apps instead. No doubt that the stock apps are pretty bad. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that (at least one of) the root-cause(s) of the problem lies somewhere in these applications, But I've tried a few, the most popular ones anyway, and none have permanently solved the problem (for me).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Please, HTC, fix this problem!
I stopped using Facebook all together and this problem went away.. I backed up my contact info, cleared my contact info, stopped syncing FB or FB for HTC Sense, and.. have been error free for a week and a half. I started using the Friendcaster app instead of FB and (fingers crossed) everything seems great

edrdoberts

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been running into this same problem. Only have 20 apps installed. Cleared cache/data from as many apps as possible. Contacts storage running 16mb. I was able to recover to about 30mb free. Not enough to allow sync to happen. Blowing away the contacts storage seems to have helped enough, but there is obviously something else going on. The sad thing is that I've only had this phone for about 3 weeks after a hardware replacement.

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This error/bug is absolutely and completely ridiculous. Especially since it has existed since the beginning of the phone and HTC/Verizon has done nothing to fix it.

I am constantly being plagued by this, even after factory resets and cleaning up apps, etc. I have sorted apps by size, uninstalled apps, and cleaned up data space on a regular basis until my eyes bleed.

I didnt notice until the last month or so that this error actually stops my account syncs under "accounts & sync" from syncing until data space is "cleaned up".

Soooooooo annoying.

pegleg#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Everytime this messabe comes up on my Dinc, I manually go through my text messages and move any mms messages to the sd card, along with deleting uneeded emails and the error message goes away immediately.

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried one of the cache cleaning apps like 1-click cleaner?

I've tried "app cache cleaner" and it didn't help. Granted I have 144 apps, but my SD card/internal storage has plenty of free space. HTC must have been plastered whenever they came up with the code they used to specify "application data space" on these phones. Why have all this free space if it doesn't utilize it.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
After I moved away from Tweetdeck to try the official Twitter app, it automatically set itself to import all my Twitter contacts. That ballooned my contacts storage to over 40MB... After backing up my contacts, I set the client to NOT SYNC contacts, Cleared my contacts storage data, then I added everything again... My contacts storage is now only 5MB... And the notification went away... For now.

edrdoberts

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
There has to be something else going on here. It seems to be a problem with many people. I have an Evo4G. Should have plenty of internal space. Phone is only a month old. Only have a dozen or so apps installed. Cleared data/cache from most apps (this helped for a few hours). Contacts storage only 1mb. Internet cache goes to SD, mail goes to SD, all apps I can get on SD are there, photos/videos go to SD. Cleared all text messages, Gmail storage. Still seem to have less than 40mb of internal space which halts syncing (which is NOT good). Can't root because this already has Gingerbread.

Sigh...

dajmacd

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Check post #52 in this thread. The hard 150 MB data/data partition is the crux of the problem. This is an Android OS limitation on every android phone. When the partition gets close to full (within ~10 MB from my observations) the low on space alarm goes off. Another contributing factor may be sloppy dev work (particular apps using this partition unnecessarily). I had one game app which generated ~30 MB worth of data in the data/data partition after playing just one level. Needless to say, that app was uninstalled posthaste. I think the devs are wising up to the limitation as the apps I always keep on my phone seem to be generating smaller footprints in this partition. Also, moving apps to the SD card *seems* to help on some apps. I'm rooted running CM7 nightlies changing about 2x a week. CM7 stock apps + ~150 user apps and my data/data sits at about 70 MB used. When I was stock and when running Sense-based roms, I was at about 120 - 130 MB used. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to check this partition if you are not rooted.

daj

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I wish someone skilled-enough in Android development would write a small app that would report on the status of the data/data partition for us unrooted users.

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wish someone skilled-enough in Android development would write a small app that would report on the status of the data/data partition for us unrooted users.

It is a security restriction within the OS that keeps this from happening. Without root access you can't be granted the permissions so the only ones who can build that app are Google or HTC.

The other thing that applications store in /data/data beyond data is additional code binaries required by the application that aren't available in the Android code. These are stored in /data/data/<app_name>/lib . At the moment, even when you move the app to the SD card, those files stay behind in that partition.

There is talk that the Gingerbread release will also move these files to the SD card freeing up /data/data for just data rather than program code. I hope that is true because it will certainly help this issue, though not completely solve it.

Here are a few of apps that I have installed that have meaningful sized lib directories.
I used "DiskUsage" to read aggregate this info:
Netflix : 19.3mb
Adobe Flash: 7.6mb
Angry Birds Seasons: 3.75mb
Adobe Reader: 3.54 mb
Zinio: 2.84mb
Digimarc: 2.25mb
Angry Birds Rio: 2.07mb
Angry Birds : 1.89mb
Mini Squadron: 1.36mb

Here are some apps that use /data/data but not the lib directory and therefore would remain in /data/data even after Gingerbread.
com.htc.socialnetwork.facebook (I think this is Facebook for HTC or Friendstream) : 6.41mb
Android browser: 5.87mb
Contacts: 5.2mb
Telephony: 5.07mb
Facebook: 5.00mb
Android Market: 4.11mb
Google Music: 3.37
com.htc.launcher (I think this is sense): 3.24mb
Calendar: 2.68mb