Contacts app that's more like standard Android?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I dislike about my Inc the most is the HTC People app. Can't simply choose to display all contacts by last name vs. first name (have to manually change each one), awkward dialer (at least for me as I'm more used to the standard Android dialer) and a few other similar issues.

Anyone know of a Market app that behaves more like the non-Sensified "People" app?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if that sort order is controlled by the Gmail setting. In gmail under Contacts > More Actions to can display your contacts by first or last name. You could change it there and wait few minutes to see if the change gets pushed to your phone.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever used the HTC People app? I wish it was that simple to sort by last name. Each contact individually has to be set to display by last name.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
No one?
Either I'm the only one who doesn't like the way HTC handles the contacts manager app or no one knows of anything better.

I'm using Ruby 1.1.1, but I'd prefer to run a Sense ROM - they seem more full-featured and stable on the Incredible, though they all, as far as I know, use the HTC People app instead of the generic Android Contacts.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen, Gmail is what sorts your contacts...not the HTC app. I have some names that got entered in Gmail with last name first, and they show up that way in People. Also, all my contacts from Exchange show up last name first as well.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you save your contacts as Google or phone contacts? Google is easier to sort, merge, and automatically backed up in your Google account.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you save your contacts as Google or phone contacts? Google is easier to sort, merge, and automatically backed up in your Google account.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
Yes. They are all Google contacts (not phone). And no, the Gmail website contacts display setting (Last, First or First Last) has no effect on the Incredible's People app.

Have any of you actually used your phones? I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but 5 minutes with the Incredible (or EVO, Eris, Hero, Desire or any other Froyo HTC Sense phone) and you'll see there's actually no way to sort your whole address book based on last name. You have to set it on a per-entry basis to show surname first. There simply is no other way. And, yes, I've searched Google up and down...

You can do it with a single preference setting on AOSP-based ROMs and non-Sense phones like the Droid, Droid 2, Droid X and N1. Not sure about Samsung TouchWiz.

However, some old posts on the EVO forum here at Android Central lead me to Better Contact (in the Market for ?1.99). It will display all your contacts by last name, though the UI/color scheme could use a little work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21