Does WIFI tether requires a custom kernel?

CPUGEEK

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my friends phone and use wifi tether. It showed a N network but I couldn't connect to it. Now I'm reading it requires a custom kernel? Is that correct?

IS this the same for SETCPU as well?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Wi-Fi Teather does not require a custom kernel - but you do have to copy a file out of the Evo ROM to get it to work on the DInc. The instructions are on the Wi-Fi Teather page.

SetCPU I believe does require a kernel that can be overclocked to work.

Hope this helps.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just download wireless teather on the market. If it doesn't work go to the dev site and make sure you download the one that says incredible

CPUGEEK

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Why doe sit says on WIFI tether website that it REQUIRES a custom rom? Because when I started wifi tether it showed up on my laptop as a WIFI N network and it would connect but I have no internet access or IP. I rooted my friends phone. He does not have a custom rom but I do

This program enables tethering (via wifi and bluetooth) for "rooted" handsets running android (such as the Android DevPhone 1). Clients (your laptop for example) can connect via wifi (ad-hoc mode) or bluetooth and get access to the internet using the 3G, 2G mobile connection or (in case you are using bluetooth) the wifi connection which is established by the handset.

This application requires a "rooted"-device and a custom-kernel which supports netfilter (iptables)! Please see the FAQ for detailed information.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you read the Setup HowTo on the Android Wi-Fi Teather page it explains what you need to do to get it to work.

Setup_HTC_Desire_Incredible - android-wifi-tether - Setup Howto for HTC Desire, HTC Incredible, HTC Aria, HTC Wildfire - Project Hosting on Google Code

The "HTC Desire", "HTC Droid Incredible" and "HTC Aria" need some extra setup-steps to make "Wireless Tether for Root Users" work.
(First you need to root your device. Please use google-search to find a guide/tutorial).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Download a HTC Evo 4g system-dump (use google search - I bet you will find one)
2) Extract a file named fw_bcm4329_ap.bin (located in /system/etc/firmware)
3) Mount your sdcard
4) Create a directory named "android.tether" (without quotes)
5) Open this directory and copy/move fw_bcm4329_ap.bin into it.
6) Rename fw_bcm4329_ap.bin to fw_bcm4329.bin
7) Install the latest versions of "wireless tether"

Here is a link to the project home page as well to get the correct download.

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is the one I used and it works great. Not sure if it's the same one you are looking at or not.

Hope this helps

CPUGEEK

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I never did any of that to get mines to work. I just had custom kernel and download wifi tether from the market. Thats it and it worked. But for some reason on my friend phone it wont work and he has stock kernel. We are uploading a custom kernel to his phone now to see if it will work..

CPUGEEK

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you read the Setup HowTo on the Android Wi-Fi Teather page it explains what you need to do to get it to work.

Setup_HTC_Desire_Incredible - android-wifi-tether - Setup Howto for HTC Desire, HTC Incredible, HTC Aria, HTC Wildfire - Project Hosting on Google Code

Here is a link to the project home page as well to get the correct download.

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is the one I used and it works great. Not sure if it's the same one you are looking at or not.

Hope this helps

Did you at top?
(These extra setup-steps are not required if you have Android 2.2 (FroYo) installed.) A rooted handset is mandatory

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Did you at top?
(These extra setup-steps are not required if you have Android 2.2 (FroYo) installed.) A rooted handset is mandatory

The Version I have is 2.0.2, It looks like they are up to 2.0.5 now so perhaps the EVO .bin file is not necessary.

When I did it I was rooted with Froyo and still needed the EVO .bin file to get it to work. Without the .bin it did the same thing you described, I could connect but I would not get an IP. With the .bin it works.

Just my experience with it.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

I just went through this process. I have an Incredible, root with unrevoked forever. Download the apk from the link above and it should work great.

I used the update. Works flawlessly. This is what all of us rooted Incredible owners need. I've tried everything else and no other wifi tethering apps work. By the way, I am using the z4root temporary root.

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre14-bladetest.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre14 (BLADETEST) *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

droidfrk

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted my friends phone and use wifi tether. It showed a N network but I couldn't connect to it. Now I'm reading it requires a custom kernel? Is that correct?

IS this the same for SETCPU as well?

Just for the record, The only thing that is really needed to do wireless tethering is froyo, there are some hacks for 2.1 but the true fix for all of this is froyo! No need for "custom rom" just configuration!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca