Return brand new Incredible for a Droid 2 Global?

Return my Incredible for a Droid 2 Global?

• Total voters

Caelan Aegana

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilemma here and I could use some advice.

I just bought my Incredible, and so far I love it. I love the hold feature for numbers/symbols on the keyboard, the slim minimalist design, and the beautiful screen.

Naturally, not a week goes by when Verizon releases a phone that I might want instead.

The Droid 2 global has exactly 2 features that for me personally beat the Incredible: the global capabilities and longer battery life. I plan to travel overseas sometime within the next few years, and I do tend to use battery drainers like music and reading apps. On the D2G I'd probably use the doc editing feature, but I'm wondering if this won't eventually be on the Incredible too.

Other than that, I'm not wild about the color and the external styling. The metallic looking rims, in my experience, scratch and cloud easily. The button locations/sizes seem awkward and unintuitive, and the fact that the battery must be removed to take out the memory card is annoying. I wasn't impressed with most of the performances I saw in the original Droid 2, either. I'm not a huge hardware geek, though it looks like the global version definitely has some improvements over the original. Without a few review it's hard to tell what overall performance will look like, but I bet the snapdragon will make it a lot more like the Incredible than the old Droid 2.

I might appreciate the physical keyboard but I think compared to the better flexibility of the Incredible's it's pretty much a wash. I'm not a huge picture taker but I do tend to take a lot of low-light pictures. With photoshop they probably pull pretty even. Aesthetically I like the Incredible better and I do care about sound/call quality, which seemed to be one of the Droid 2's weak points. I do listen to music a lot, and I like vibrant colors on the screen.

My impression seems to be that the Incredible has better overall performance and design, with a sacrifice to battery life (but with an extended battery option available I'm not sure how much that matters). Honestly my feelings run a little more bipolar for the Droid 2. Then again since the Global with its updated hardware doesn't have comparative reviews, it makes the judgment call harder.

I have until 12/2 to return my Incredible. What do you guys think, should I keep it or trade it for a Droid 2 Global? Do you think any reviews will be out in a timely enough fashion or am I better off just settling and ignoring the tech news until after New Year's?

Appreciate the advice.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't travel overseas so I ask: what would be the advantage in having the D2G vs. the DI overseas? In other words, how well would the DI work without the "global" capability of the D2G?

Caelan Aegana

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that was the dilemma for me. Plus the fact that it's not guaranteed at this point that I will go on the trip I planned, and I'll probably only go once or twice. Buying a pay-as-you-go phone in-country might be the smarter option...

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that with a global phone you can use a VZW partner provider's service or perhaps insert a temporary SIM card from a provider overseas to get service. VZW phones (and Spring) are CDMA which won't work on the GSM networks basically everywhere else.

Unless I'm missing something you couldn't use a DInc. anywhere sans CDMA i.e. The World.

If having this capability isn't a big deal (i.e. you don't travel much) it's really unnecessary (as mentioned you can get a pay as you go phone). Unless you want a keyboard - and the D2 KB looks like a POS - the only advantage in my mind is the faster CPU.

*Also, if you have till 12/2 WAIT there are several phones coming out soon you should consider as well imo.

SilverLight98

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Get a one year contract with the incredible. By the time its time to upgrade better global phones will be out. Ones that don't have Motorola's gross UI :O

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Caelan Aegana

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have a new dilemma now. :-/

I ended up returning in Incredible in part because Best Buy has them for FREE with a 2-yr contract.

I've decided I don't want the D2G but I'm really liking what little information is out about the HTC Merge. From the scraps of information I've been able to gather, it looks like the Merge was going to be released around Black Friday but was delayed (because they were adding an LTE radio?) and there's no news on when it will be out - probably sometime before the end of Q1 2011. Frustratingly vague.

So should I hold out for the Merge or take advantage of the free Incredible?

DroidEye22

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out for the Merge, its just an Incredible with a keyboard also it has global capabilities and was delayed to get 4G so I'm guessing it should have 4G.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This is a though call. I was interested in the merge for my wife but didn't have time to wait for it to come out. So we ended up getting D2s for work (bogo!). I will be keeping an eye out for more info on this one. I would wait if you can, looks like it might be worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie