Does Wifi Stay On with Phone Off? Battery Loss Overnight

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I realize how dumb of a question that is. I know there are several battery threads out there, but those seem to be discussing leaving the phone on overnight.

Here's my issue: I turned off my phone (with wifi still active) last night with about 32-34% battery according to the battery widget. As in... I turned the phone off. Completely off.

I woke up this morning to find myself with 13% battery and the warning that I needed to plug my charger in.

...scratching my head as to how that's even possible.

Thoughts? Could I have some sort of module on the phone that is staying on overnight and slowly draining it?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, it sounds like you let your phone go to sleep, you are not turning it off. Even when asleep, it does some polling every now and again to look for app updates, email, text messages, etc. Also, if the cell radio on that will use up juice periodically.

If you don't need to get updates while you sleep, I suggest putting it in airplane mode before you go to bed. With all the radios off it uses almost no power.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, it sounds like you let your phone go to sleep, you are not turning it off. Even when asleep, it does some polling every now and again to look for app updates, email, text messages, etc. Also, if the cell radio on that will use up juice periodically.

If you don't need to get updates while you sleep, I suggest putting it in airplane mode before you go to bed. With all the radios off it uses almost no power.

No... I am holding down the power button, selecting "power off", confirming I want the phone powered off, and it turns completely off. Off to the point where I have to wait on the device to start back up (HTC Incredible screen, annoying "Droid" sound plays, etc.)

I still can't believe turning on the phone zaps 20% of the power in one fell swoop. Baffled.

kcinkiller1

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
yes, that much power loss does seem excessive especially if you turning it off all of the way....maybe later i will try n run a test to see how my battery reacts wen turned off with wifi on then turned on later...hmm

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
No... I am holding down the power button, selecting "power off", confirming I want the phone powered off, and it turns completely off. Off to the point where I have to wait on the device to start back up (HTC Incredible screen, annoying "Droid" sound plays, etc.)

I still can't believe turning on the phone zaps 20% of the power in one fell swoop. Baffled.

Yeah, that is weird. Sorry. I got nuthin.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried that *#*#4636#*#* thing to see you battery history and stats to see if that offers any clues yet? :confused:

Sent Using TaPaTaLk