Lack of Stock App Updates

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Why does my Droid Incredible not receive any updates released for common apps such as Gmail or Youtube? I did not download those, they are stock apps and the only ones I am having trouble with for getting updates. If I downloaded an app, I get the status bar notification for app updates, or I can check "Downloads" in the Android Market menu to see which of my downloaded apps have updates available.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Stock apps don't get recognized by the market as being downloaded and are not tracked. Once you download an update for an installed app manually, the market will continue recognizing it and notify you. Use YouTube app as an example. Go into your application settings and check the version. Compare that to the version on the Market and the Market one should be a later revision. Install the app as if it was a new install and it will simply update the installed version.

sabbotage

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Stock apps don't get recognized by the market as being downloaded and are not tracked. Once you download an update for an installed app manually, the market will continue recognizing it and notify you. Use YouTube app as an example. Go into your application settings and check the version. Compare that to the version on the Market and the Market one should be a later revision. Install the app as if it was a new install and it will simply update the installed version.

I've noticed that apps such as HTC sense specific apps like facebook for HTC sense do not have upgrades in the market. I'm guessing they only get upgraded with OS updates?

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh I didn't know that. I thought the "Install" button in the Market meant either you had to uninstall the previous stock app, or it would overwrite everything as opposed to updating (or worse, make a second copy).

masego

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I think "Facebook for HTC Sense" is a weird case (don't know why) because mine also has that and regular facebook for when I want to say, upload a picture. If you look carefully, you can actually also see it in the Incredible TV commercials.