Reception on the Incredible

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading many reception issues with the Dinc. I searched and only found one thread on this site so hopefully this isn't an issue. Can any Dinc users share their reception experience? I noticed in several video reviews the reception bars were rather low. All I want to know is with the phone being 8 months old have they (Verizon or Android) released a fix for the reception or radio issues? Has it improved from 2.1? Thanks

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Has it improved at all with updates to 2.1 or 2.2?

The phone originally shipped with 2.1 as far as I know...

And I haven't really paid attention. Notice that I said that it often displays only one or two bars, but it often behaves as if it has full bars while doing this. It may just be a glitch with the display rather than a radio problem. I've never had a problem with bad service except in places I wouldn't get service anyway (like subway tunnels, some basements, etc).

If you're worried about radio, you could just root and flash a new radio (keeping in mind that radio updates are one of the few things that could actually brick the phone, and by brick I mean that the phone becomes a very expensive paperweight).

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The phone originally shipped with 2.1 as far as I know...

And I haven't really paid attention. Notice that I said that it often displays only one or two bars, but it often behaves as if it has full bars while doing this. It may just be a glitch with the display rather than a radio problem. I've never had a problem with bad service except in places I wouldn't get service anyway (like subway tunnels, some basements, etc).

If you're worried about radio, you could just root and flash a new radio (keeping in mind that radio updates are one of the few things that could actually brick the phone, and by brick I mean that the phone becomes a very expensive paperweight).

Thanks for your input. I am really not that concerned about it. I was just reading a lot of opinions on the matter to where some people classified it as a problem. I had Verizon about 5 years ago had around my house I had about 4-5 bars so I'm sure the phone will be fine.

So technically when the phone has 1 bar its behaving as if it has 3 or 4? Does it still do this though or was this when it first came out? No update was issued to fix the algorithm?

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The reception is pretty crummy on my phone.. I normally get 1-2 bars at home, when my blackberry gets 5 bars consistently. When I really notice it is during a call, when I sometimes lose parts of a word the caller is saying, and I have to ask them to repeat.

I've been thinking about calling Verizon to get a replacement, looks like I need to get on that.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input. I am really not that concerned about it. I was just reading a lot of opinions on the matter to where some people classified it as a problem. I had Verizon about 5 years ago had around my house I had about 4-5 bars so I'm sure the phone will be fine.

So technically when the phone has 1 bar its behaving as if it has 3 or 4? Does it still do this though or was this when it first came out? No update was issued to fix the algorithm?
I'm not really sure. I saw a video of the Dinc vs. the Pre +, and while the Pre + showed full bars and the Dinc only showed 2, the Dinc was still far speedier when loading web pages.

Reception isn't perfect, but then again, I've yet to have a phone with satisfactory reception.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to make perfect calls when the phone shows 0 bars and -100 db in settings. Tue phone has great reception no matter what it displays.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The Bars displayed are low compared to the actual connection. If you go to Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Network you will see the actual Signal Strength in dBm. It's a negative number so lower is better. This will tell you your actual radio connection strength. Don't worry too much about the Signal Bar.

In the original release, the algorithm for the signal meter was wonky. The Froyo update was better but some have reported that the 2.2 Froyo update has shown wonky signal bar readings again, but at the end of the day, the real signal strength is good, and that is all that matters.

Hurricane

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I get a better signal with my DINC than I did with my BB. I get pretty bad reception at home and with the BB would have to go out on the porch to make calls. With the DINC I need to be near the windows but at least I can stay inside.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I get a better signal with my DINC than I did with my BB. I get pretty bad reception at home and with the BB would have to go out on the porch to make calls. With the DINC I need to be near the windows but at least I can stay inside.

Thanks. I am reading some people find the phone to have the best reception and best call quality and some the complete opposite. Guess I'll just have to judge for myself. I understand that reception isn't going to be perfect and no smartphone will be 100% flawless. Hopefully I'm getting pretty close though with the Dinc getting it 8 months later. :)

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a DINC and when looking at the signal strength under about phone and comparing to my BlackBerry they were often similar, but the DINC fluctuated a lot so it often had a considerably worse signal than my BlackBerry. I wouldn't have cared all that much except the voice quality was awful. I often had to ask the person on the other end of a call to repeat themselves. I finally traded it in for a Droid 2 after I was sitting in a room at work while all of my colleagues had a pretty solid signal and I had nothing. The Droid 2 has done much better for me, though the signal bars fluctuate a lot too (I think it's an Android thing). It's possible I had a bad one or something, but I had read a number of comments about terrible call quality, so I got out while I could. Hopefully you'll have better luck if you go the DINC route. I really liked the phone, but it doesn't do me much good if I can't understand the other person.

Doragg

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This is the first time I've heard of reception problems with the dinc. My reception is usually full but sometimes it'll drop down in certain areas of the house. So probably not a common problem.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I ever had with my DINC next to battery was its antenna. It would drop calls in places my D1 never did especially in low signal areas.

I constantly did *228 option 2 but that was no help.

That said, calls on the DINC were always of good quality on both ends. Again, for me, the antenna only became an issue in low signal areas.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I ever had with my DINC next to battery was its antenna. It would drop calls in places my D1 never did especially in low signal areas.

I constantly did *228 option 2 but that was no help.

That said, calls on the DINC were always of good quality on both ends. Again, for me, the antenna only became an issue in low signal areas.

I'll assume this was when it first came out? Still experience this exact same issue 8 months later?

doc 7

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have similar issues with signal usually 1-2bars occasional dropped calls pretty avg for vzw it's the network and I wouldn't bank on lte being the end all be all they're touting
Anywho just moo =my own opinion LOL

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had great reception with my BB and I continue to have the same with with my Incredible. I live in a rural area. I am glad for this. I haven't had one dropped call and upon occasion would get a dropped call on BB.

Calling *228 using option 2 also helps the roaming capabilities on any device.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had great reception with my BB and I continue to have the same with with my Incredible. I live in a rural area. I am glad for this. I haven't had one dropped call and upon occasion would get a dropped call on BB.

Calling *228 using option 2 also helps the roaming capabilities on any device.

I also live in a rural area so hopefully mine will be fine. I'll be fine if it doesn't have the exact same call quality as my Curve 8900 as just as long as it doesn't drop calls.

tiaberry

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same issue however, my calls come in clear and I have no bars showing. I have seen this issue in a lot of other forums and maybe HTC will somehow get a hold to the issue and fix it (thats in high hopes for those who look at the signal bars)!
I do have one question or request....Could someone explain dBm and how to know which numbers are good signal and which are bad.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood