individual notifications

trotsky#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I just realized I originally posted this in the wrong thread.

I just switched from the BB Tour and one of the things I liked was the ability to have a different tone for email, vs sms, facebook notification etc.

I really liked the fact that I could tell who I was receiving a message from and whether it was an email or a text without even having to look at my phone.

I would like to do this with my new Incredible. How do I make that happen? Do I have any other options than hancent? I did some searching and that seems to be the go to, but it has glitches and is ad supported.

Thanks in advance.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Open the Messages app.
Menu -> Settings ->Received Messages -> Notification Sound

I use Handcent. Ad supported is not bad, IMO and you only see these ads in the Settings menu. You don't see them when sending and receiving messages.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am coming for BB as well. I also liked how you can have tones for email, etc. You can select a tone for notifications, it will be the same tone, but your ringtone can be different and your contacts can have different tones too.
Only email and texting will share the same ring tone. Unless there are contacts you don't choose for their own ring tone, when they call you it will be your default ring tone. You can also take your music and make it a ring tone like you could on your Tour

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
As I mentioned above, for each app you should be able to set a specific tone for it's notifications. Open the app, Menu -> Settings and change the notification sound. GMail and the SMS app have the option. Handcent does too.

For contacts, you can set specific ringtones. Under People -> [Select a contact] -> Information -> Ringtone.

trotsky#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help so far. Still seems like there isn't anything that will do "everything" that I want.

To clarify, I am a firefighter and instead of carrying a pager to receive alarm details I had a separate tone on my BB so that when I got the text with a 911 call it made a different sound so I knew to check it right away versus a text from my wife or a friend. It meant I didn't have to carry my radio all over the place and could just jump on the engine or the ambulance depending on the type of call.

I also had separate emails from dispatch that had different tones versus the emails I got from my friends (all my email goes to gmail). This meant I could respond to work emails right away while at work and leave the personal ones until I got off shift.

So i would like to be able to customize notifications for each individual rather than have a separate noise for email and for text. I need a separate noise for different email senders and different text message senders.

Does that make sense?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I see what you mean. I'm not aware of that functionality for text messages. Sorry. I would guess that there is an app somewhere that does that for you, if it's possible, but I don't know what that app would be.

trotsky#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using hancent right now, butwill keep checking for something that will do email. Would be great if this became part of Droid's OS

alb123

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question, as I just purchased an HTC Rezound and I see there hasn't been any updates to this thread since January.

Since January, have there been any new ways that I could have individual sounds and at different volumes for email accounts? Basically, what I want to do is:

Gmail account - Volume Loud - ABC.mp3 (as my notification sound)
Hotmail account - silent
2nd Gmail account - Volume Normal - XYZ.mp3 (as my notification sound)

Is this possible? I am running stock Android 2.3.4 with HTC Sense 3.5

This is my 3rd day with my Rezound and I LOVE it compared to my BlackBerry Bold 9650, but this is one area that BlackBerry really, really kicks butt compared to other platforms. The control over each notification was incredible! This, along with Sound Profiles, in general, is an area that BlackBerry really shined. Too bad just about everything else stunk with the BB OS... Ugh.... I can't believe I waited this long to move on to Android.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help so far. Still seems like there isn't anything that will do "everything" that I want.

To clarify, I am a firefighter and instead of carrying a pager to receive alarm details I had a separate tone on my BB so that when I got the text with a 911 call it made a different sound so I knew to check it right away versus a text from my wife or a friend. It meant I didn't have to carry my radio all over the place and could just jump on the engine or the ambulance depending on the type of call.

I also had separate emails from dispatch that had different tones versus the emails I got from my friends (all my email goes to gmail). This meant I could respond to work emails right away while at work and leave the personal ones until I got off shift.

So i would like to be able to customize notifications for each individual rather than have a separate noise for email and for text. I need a separate noise for different email senders and different text message senders.

Does that make sense?

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. I'm on a swat team and use my phone as a pager through SMS. I was able to make this work for my Blackberry with Alert Matrix Pro, but they don't make an app for Android. I looked at Handcent, and even though Handcent claims to have the ability to set individual contact alerts, I have been through every menu and setting and nothing will allow this. I tried Go SMS Pro and it works as I need it to- sets individual contact alerts, but there is no setting to make the alerts repeat until dismissed. I need this functionality so that it will wake me up if we get paged while I'm sleeping. If Go SMS Pro had that feature my problem would be solved. Come to think of it, I didn't see that feature in Handcent either.

Anyone? This can't be that difficult to do, really..... even dumb phones have settings for contact based alerts.

Last edited:

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I found an app that does what I need. It's SMS Alert by FastMob.net and is free in the app market. Filters SMS by keyword and can set a 30 minute alert duration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol