How change the default contact type from "Phone" to "Google"?

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I keep all of my contacts on Gmail.

The People app on my device defaults to a contact type of "Phone"--not "Google". So when I add a new contact, it doesn't appear in Gmail. I try to remember to change the contact type to "Google" but oftentimes forget. How can I change this so that the default contact type is "Google"?

I can't find a thread that discusses this so it must be something obvious that I'm missing.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Also, is there a way to get the contacts you have already on the phone to go to google as well?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Mr.Geek

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Go to your Contacts and press Menu click on Import/Export and pick Share Visible Contacts a thing will pop up you then click on GMail type in your email address that you want it sent too.

Mr.Geek

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info about how to convert contacts to Gmail. Good to know.

Do you have any comments on the original question about how to make new contacts default to the contact type of "Google" rather than to "Phone"?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

The People app on my device defaults to a contact type of "Phone"--not "Google". So when I add a new contact, it doesn't appear in Gmail. I try to remember to change the contact type to "Google" but oftentimes forget. How can I change this so that the default contact type is "Google"?

I can't find a thread that discusses this so it must be something obvious that I'm missing.

I dont think there is a way to stop it from asking you phone or google. unless there is a widget to save google numbers but even then you would have to remember to only save contacts there......i tried changing the contacts.apk in hopes that it was only a onboard remote storage but then contacts doesnt open at all... if you find something please let us know im sure others would like to know

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I *wish* it would "ask" me. As it is, unless I remember to change the contact type value, it saves new contacts as type "Phone".

cabs hea

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't google have a sync app? My blackberry has an app called google sync and it automatically syncs my phone's contacts to my gmail contacts and vice versa.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't google have a sync app? My blackberry has an app called google sync and it automatically syncs my phone's contacts to my gmail contacts and vice versa.

Google contacts do automatically sync. That is not the problem. The issue is that there are "google" contacts and plain old "phone" contacts. The google contacts sync with gmail backward and forward. The phone contacts don't sync anywhere by default. They are just on the phone. All of my contacts are google contacts. I have no phone contacts. The complaint is that when you want to add a new contact, the default seems to be phone, not google. Two contact locations causes more than a little confusion for people. I agree a configurable default would be best, or the ability to disable phone contacts entirely.

I think phone contacts are typically used by people who don't use gmail. I believe the yahoo email app syncs with the phone contacts, for example.

Really, there should only be one contact store.

I just got an Android programming book. Do no apps for this problem exist on the market?

Last edited:

btk

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
correct! the default is "phone" not "google" for the contact type. and there doesn't seem to be an option to change it.

stachoo

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Default contact type

Strange, on my HTC Desire HD/Android 2.3 the default contact type seems to be 'google'.
But still I do have the problem with 'old' contacts synced from my previous phone.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to change the default so you have two options.
1)Remember to change the contact type before you add the contact or
2)Instead of adding a contact through your phone add it on Google contact page and let the phone sync it by itself.

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to change the default so you have two options.
1)Remember to change the contact type before you add the contact or
2)Instead of adding a contact through your phone add it on Google contact page and let the phone sync it by itself.

i usually remember but if i dont just go into google look at your phone and type them into google.

cabs hea

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Google contacts do automatically sync. That is not the problem. The issue is that there are "google" contacts and plain old "phone" contacts. The google contacts sync with gmail backward and forward. The phone contacts don't sync anywhere by default. They are just on the phone. All of my contacts are google contacts. I have no phone contacts. The complaint is that when you want to add a new contact, the default seems to be phone, not google. Two contact locations causes more than a little confusion for people. I agree a configurable default would be best, or the ability to disable phone contacts entirely.

I think phone contacts are typically used by people who don't use gmail. I believe the yahoo email app syncs with the phone contacts, for example.

Really, there should only be one contact store.

I just got an Android programming book. Do no apps for this problem exist on the market?

Gotcha.

cmcdowell26

May 18, 2010
Visit site
what i had to start doing was instead of adding new contacts thru people i type the number in the dialer and call it then press the plus sign next to the number then it gives me the option to add it to my gmail or exchange contacts. i'm not sure if this will work if you dont have an exchange account set up on your phone though

ehiri72

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Open your Contacts screen, press the menu button (usually to the far left), then tap the Settings tab.
There should be a Contact Storage button that you can select. That will open up a dialogue box that allows you to select the account that you want to store the new contacts. I have mine pointed to my Hotmail account that is linked to Outlook. Everything updates seamlessly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance