Stock messaging app

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I started using the stock messaging app and noticed that the contact pictures do show up next to the name in the thread. Not even mine when I respond to the message. I looked for a solution in the settings but I don't see anything. Anyone have a solution for me or is this not possible to have with this app.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You may have to link other accounts (Facebook, Twitter) to your contacts, and it will then use those pictures in the stock messaging app. If you pull up a contact and edit it, you can see in the upper right corner where you can link contacts with social accounts (You will have to use the HTC apps for Twitter and Facebook in order to pull the pictures, if I'm not mistaken).

If you already have pictures set on your contacts from the phone, and they are not showing up, let us know.

To set the picture for your contact, that you see when you text someone, long-press one of your outgoing text messages and edit the contact.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thats too bad that it only works if your linked to Facebook ect. I purposely only link my contacts to google because I was getting multiple contacts in my phonebook linking with other accounts, plus I use google to backup all my contacts. Surprising though that it doesn't work because Handcent & chomp showed all my contact pictures when I received or sent texts.

Davanw

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you already have pictures set on your contacts from the phone, and they are not showing up, let us know.

This is the problem I am experiencing on my Galaxy S Vibrant, 2.2

I have pictures syncronized from Facebook and other accounts. They show up fine in the contacts app. But doesn't show up in the stock SMS app.

Any ideas to get them to show up in the SMS app?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Not totally sure how i did it but the pictures i have set for my contacts show up in my messages when using the stock messaging app. I'm not on twitter or facebook so its not a linking up issue.

When ever i change the picture associated with that contact, it changes the picture used by the sms messaging app in the conversation so it is possible. sorry i couldn't tell you how its done.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well at least we know it can be done. Now all we need is someone to tell us how to do it. I am wondering though if it has anything to do with being rooted or not and what type of ROM you are using.

Davanw

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It was working for me before on 2.1 and again on 2.2... then my phone failed and I sent it in for repair. When it came back it was factory reset with a newer 2.2 build, and it hasn't worked since.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If I go into my contacts through the "people" icon, and change the pic associated with "my contact card" it changes the pic for all my conversations in the stock sms app...leads me to believe that the sms app is just puling what ever pic you've got associated with that contact from your contact cards.

it did this for me before i rooted and after i rooted and since i've flashed Virtuous 3.2

SR1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats too bad that it only works if your linked to Facebook ect. I purposely only link my contacts to google because I was getting multiple contacts in my phonebook linking with other accounts, plus I use google to backup all my contacts. Surprising though that it doesn't work because Handcent & chomp showed all my contact pictures when I received or sent texts.
You can hide specific accounts in your address book. I hid my facebook contacts since I was getting doubles for almost everyone.