web browsers & some apps keep quitting

agahran

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
hi, all

for the last month or so, full-featured web browsers (including the stock "internet" and dolphin) as well as some apps I love (including shazam and Appbrain) have stopped working on my Dinc.

they'll start to launch, then immediately quit.

opera mobile will run reliably, but it's limited. biggest drawback: it doesn't offer any "share page" functionality (bookmarklets, e-mail, etc.)

I've cleared a bunch of space on my phone, pulled the battery, uninstalled apps I don't use, no dice.

before I go through the tedious process of installing apps I use to look for conflicts, can anyone suggest a possible culprit or another thing to try?

my Dinc is not rooted, and I'm not comfortable with rooting it.

thanks

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't hear any mentioning of a "Task Killer" - which exclude that culprit. There is definitely a conflict or conflicts going on.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find the problem without removing all apps.

Resetting the phone is another option - however... it does revert the phone to its original state, thus clearing all data off the phone. If the problem persist you could look into it.

Good luck.

agahran

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
nope, no task killer.

REALLY hope to avoid having to uninstall all apps ir reset phone. just had to do that a couple of months ago, getting phone set back up was a huge pain

any known app conflicts that cause this problem on Dinc, so I might know where to start?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Before you do that have you cleared the cache and data in each app that isn't working? If not go into settings>applications>manage apps>all>select app that have not been working and clear the cache, data, and force close. After that reboot the phone and check those apps and if that didn't work you may need to do a factory reset (I know its a pain).

agahran

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks. I'd actually cleared the cache, uninstalled, and reinstalled clean all affected apps (except for the stock browser, which can't be uninstalled). no dice.

are conflicts that cause problems usually the fault of one app, or can they work like drug interactions and be the result of a unique combination of apps? I ask because I'm wondering whether its worth installing the apps that I use individually, in order to minimize the hassle of restoring and reconfiguring -- or if that might be a waste of time for diagnosis?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would think usually its just one application that is causing your issue but I wouldn't rule out the possibility it could be more. I would start by installing one at a time to see if you can find out which one is causing the issue.

agahran

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I was actually thinking of *uninstalling* the apps I use one at a time, testing the stock browser after each uninstall, in order to find the culprit -- rather than uninstalling all of my apps and reinstalling one at a time. Seems like it would be less work that way.

But is there any reason not to do it this way?

I'm also wondering whether the crapware on the phone -- which seems to have been multiplying considerably over the past couple of months, probably from Verizon but perhaps from HTC -- might be a culprit here. I really hate that crapware, and have contemplated rooting just to get rid of it, but so far there are too many potential risks of rooting (for my personal case, not speaking for everyone) that I've avoided that option.

Is there any history of carrier- or mfr-supplied crapware causing conflicts on this Android phone or others?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think any of the crapware Verizon added to your phone would cause any problems besides taking up space.

Uninstalling your apps one at a time should work the same as deleting all of them and added them back one at a time.

paradox116

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You are trying so hard and got nothing. Why not just reset your phone. I know little about phone so once my phone has issue I can not figure put, I will reset.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like something is eating up your memory. The first thing you might try is looking at battery usage. It may be a program is leaking memory and not closing all the way so off there is something using an extraordinary amount of the battery for what you use it that may give you a clue.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread that seems to have been re-awakened... but it mimics an issue I have noticed with HTC devices. I've found with my Dinc that if I have WiFi turned on, and subsequently the WiFi signal happens to be so weak that the device can't seem to get a permanent lock; the device will keep bouncing back and forth between WiFi and 3G, and as a result will play havoc with any apps that are trying to access wireless data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae