Need help with voip. desperate.

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I know I could search the huge volume of threads for voip, and I have tried and haven't come up with the exact info I need.

My mom was recently (as in, 4 days ago) diagnosed with brain cancer and she and my dad are going to need a lot of help over the next several months. The problem is they live in a really crappy service area and making or receiving calls is spotty at best.

I have been trying to figure out how to use my Droid Incredible as an internet phone while I am out here, and have read lots of vague or technical information, but nothing concrete, step-by-step and clear. Here is what I have so far:

a PBXes account

Google Voice

SIPdroid.

I have been reading the PBXes website for their setup and it makes no sense to me...what the hell is a trunk? I don't know any of the jargon...

I could really use some help.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Skype? It's in the market under the Verizon tab. I have not used it on the DInc but it should work over Wi-Fi.

06cbrf4i

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I used Line2 and loved it on my previous phone, which was a iphone 3g. I didn't have cell service at my house but I had wifi. Before I lost cell service on my way home I would forward my cell phone calls to my Line2 phone number. Anyone who called my at&t cell number was forwarded to my Line2 phone number, that way I didn't have to buy a home phone. They have a free 30 day trial also so you can try it out. Sorry to hear about your mom.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/line2-–-call-and-text-for-less/com.toktumi.line2

Last edited:

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd second (third) Skype. In situations like that, you want reliable service and solid support. Skype gives you both for cheap (or free, depending).

Although Line2 sounds pretty cool -- I'm going to look into that myself for when I'm at my friend's place -- he somehow lives in the only Verizon deadspot I've found in the Washington DC metro area (that isn't in a bunker or underground!). But that's just occasional use and not urgent. In your shoes, OP, I'd go Skype.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about your mom. :(

The Skype version I have (1.0.0.831) works on Wifi and 3G. I am running Skyraider 3.5. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Reactions: tmettler5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463