Questions about HTC Sense...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am a current Verizon subscriber using a buddy's old BlackBerry Tour (I had the Storm2 but the last update fried the phone).

My original plan was to add a line to my family plan and pick up the Thunderbolt when it was released in the next couple of weeks. Well, I'm starting to second think this decision. I'm not sure if I want to spend about $320+ on the TBolt plus the additional $9.99 each month. However, the Tour is now dying a slow death. It freezes, has been randomly deleting apps and the different sound notifications don't even sound. Last night, it was on the standard sound profile and was only making a level beep (if any). Very strange. The Incredible on a 1 year contract is only $169.99 plus the $9.99 per month.

I'd like to know 2 things:

1) How does everyone like the Sense UI? I have only had one experience with Android and that was the Original Droid and I HATED it (so much that I took it back)! Are there any videos on you could direct me to that show people actually using the Sense widgets/features? I went to the Verizon store tonight to play with the Droid X, Droid Pro and Incredible. Unfortunately, I couldn't really test out the HTC widgets because there wasn't a phone book. I played with the other 2 Droids and did kind of like Moto Blur/their widgets.

2) Thoughts on Thunderbolt vs DX vs Pro vs Incredible? I'm trying to post on different boards so I can receive different opinions (I figure each board will be a little bias).

My first experience with Android was bad, but I honestly believe it's a solid OS. I think the Original Droid turned me off of Android when it was probably the phone's fault.

Thanks for the help and sorry for rambling!

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
HTC Sense is a pretty good UI. It's definitely the best manufacturer UI out there. It's got some nice features, like a great keyboard, improved dialer, a trademark flip clock, and (I think) a superior way of handling contacts and superior facebook integration. Plus, it's attractive, and well integrated into Android (as opposed to Motoblur on the Droid X and Droid Pro, which is really pretty bad).

The Moto Droid would be quite different now. When you got it, it may have been running 2.0 - it runs 2.2 now, which is much improved.

Don't worry about the Droid Pro, unless you plan to be writing long e-mails on your phone. Really, this is between the Incredible, X, and Thunderbolt.

The Thunderbolt has LTE support, newer hardware, and HTC Sense 2.0 (which is great). It's also the most expensive of the bunch, but since it's not even out yet, that's to be expected.

The Droid X is a nice phone as well, but it's got Motoblur and a locked bootloader. The Incredible is comparable to the X in terms of specs, but it has a 3.7 inch screen rather than a 4.3 inch screen (which both the X and Bolt have), and it uses HTC Sense 1.0, also great. It also has a very robust developer community (if you get into rooting), which the Thunderbolt will likely have as well.

Really, I'd go for the Thunderbolt. Unless you're looking to get a phone on the cheap, you should go for something that's likely to be supported for a while. The Inc and X are rapidly aging. I love my Dinc, but it's getting outdated.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You can probably find an Incredible at Amazon or Best Buy for free. I have friends that were waiting for the Thunderbolt but got the Incredible for free instead.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would say that HTC sense is the best I've seen so far. The best part of Android is the customization of it. (Awesome)

Last edited:

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest if you don't want to buy the overpriced tbolt lol; just get an incredible off craigslist. No point in getting a dinc for two years because they will release a newer version of it at some point. Just buy one for 200 bucks, it is the best phone pre tbolt out for Verizon.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When are you do for your upgrade? I wouldn't add an additional line just to get another device. I would look on ebay or craigslist and get an INC that way. You will like the device. I have it and love it. another suggestion....have you had numerous BB's and issues? You could call Verizon and ask for Retention dept and see if they would let you into an incredible as an exchange for your BB I had numerous problems and they let me make the switch. An exchange I am very HAPPY with.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Like others said I wouldnt add a line to get the TB,find used incredible off CL and met at vzw store.
I can only speak for the dx vs incredible on your other questions and of those two phones the incredible has had no issues at all with rooted or not rooted.
The dx had issues with until rooting ,but still the incredible is my favorite (no bootloader lock ).

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses!! I tried the original Droid when it first came out and despised everything about it! It was not only it a horrific phone experience, but Android also left a bad taste in my mouth. BlackBerry has always been reliable but lately they have been failing me (Storm 2 died after the latest update and my buddy's Tour is junk).

No new BBs have been announced this year (so far) and I think it's time for me to look for something new. HTC seems to give Android the polish I thought it was missing. Hopefully I'll be happy with the switch.

When are you do for your upgrade? I wouldn't add an additional line just to get another device. I would look on ebay or craigslist and get an INC that way. You will like the device. I have it and love it. another suggestion....have you had numerous BB's and issues? You could call Verizon and ask for Retention dept and see if they would let you into an incredible as an exchange for your BB I had numerous problems and they let me make the switch. An exchange I am very HAPPY with.

I have been having problems with my BlackBerry, but I never called Verizon about it. I just sort of dealt with it (this was probably a mistake on my part). I think I am just going to wait for the Thunderbolt, but I will have to add a line. I don't really mind paying the $10 bucks extra each month because at least I'll have another upgrade (if I need it) in December.

Matt Algren

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
HTC Sense is a pretty good UI. It's definitely the best manufacturer UI out there. It's got some nice features, like a great keyboard, improved dialer, a trademark flip clock, and (I think) a superior way of handling contacts and superior facebook integration. Plus, it's attractive, and well integrated into Android (as opposed to Motoblur on the Droid X and Droid Pro, which is really pretty bad).

The Moto Droid would be quite different now. When you got it, it may have been running 2.0 - it runs 2.2 now, which is much improved.

Don't worry about the Droid Pro, unless you plan to be writing long e-mails on your phone. Really, this is between the Incredible, X, and Thunderbolt.

The Thunderbolt has LTE support, newer hardware, and HTC Sense 2.0 (which is great). It's also the most expensive of the bunch, but since it's not even out yet, that's to be expected.

The Droid X is a nice phone as well, but it's got Motoblur and a locked bootloader. The Incredible is comparable to the X in terms of specs, but it has a 3.7 inch screen rather than a 4.3 inch screen (which both the X and Bolt have), and it uses HTC Sense 1.0, also great. It also has a very robust developer community (if you get into rooting), which the Thunderbolt will likely have as well.

Really, I'd go for the Thunderbolt. Unless you're looking to get a phone on the cheap, you should go for something that's likely to be supported for a while. The Inc and X are rapidly aging. I love my Dinc, but it's getting outdated.
I agree with this. I'd go with a Thunderbolt unless price is an issue, in which case I'd go with the Incredible.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I like HTC Sense, though I would have liked the option to use the default Android UI. As others have said that if you have the money defiantly go for the Thunderbolt. I'd love a Thunderbolt myself but I just got my Incredible as a Christmas gift this past year. I won't be eligible for a reduced price upgrade until August 2012 and there is just no way I could afford a Thunderbolt at full price.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the BB Torch to the DInc two weeks ago and absolutely love it. Everything that bothered my about my BB is a non-issue with the DInc. At first I missed having so many sound profile options, but there's an app for that. And I wasn't crazy about the HTC mail app, but I switched to K-9 and love it. Now there's nothing I miss about the BB, not even the keyboard.

I've been very happy with HTC Sense. One of the great things about Android though is that if you decide you don't like it you can root and install something else.

As far as Thunderbolt v. DInc, I picked the DInc because I like the smaller form factor. The Thunderbolt looks like a great phone tho.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech