Please help: Low on space: Application data space is low, error is displayed ALWAYS

Aluminum

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I have 7.15GB free on my SD card, 6.52GB free internal storage, and 559mb free for phone memory

how do I get rid of this annoying message?

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Some app has gone over its data limit. Do the following until it goes away:

If you use Dolphin Browser, set it to cache to SD card.
Go to setting>applications>manage applications and select "clear data" for apps like Facebook, Friendstream, any news apps you may have (nytimes, huffington post, etc) and any other apps with a feed that won't get hurt too much if you clear their data.

The message should go away pretty quickly. It's just trial and error.

Jascias

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
This will free up space and stop the errors, but only if you have root.

What is happening? (Credit to Cyansmoker)

You've checked your phone's vitals and it appears that it has plenty of space left, both internal storage and SD Card storage. So, what's happening?
Android allows your applications to store their data, primarily, in a dedicated partition whose size happens to be much smaller than even the phone's internal storage space. Generally south of 150 MBs.
This is the partition that fills up so quickly and that Android has been complaining about.

Link to the app.
http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/

(Do not use the bar code. Its the one above the bar code. Its called NotEnoughSpace. It works just fine for the DINC)

About this ^^ application

This application's goal is to help you understand and possibly work around a common vexation of using Android; i.e. these messages:

"not enough space"
"Low on space. Application data space is low."

Help example:

start the app, click on "inspect & Optimize Data Directory" , you will see your apps, click on an app that uses a good amount of space, (I'll click google earth) you will see a folder called "lib", hold down "lib" and a menu will pop up, click on "Move to NES Partition" . Thats it !

Do this ^^ for any app you want (some might not work, but most do). If you want to reverse, just hold down the now grey out "lib" and click restore.

You will now have much more free space an no more errors.

For non Root user, you will have to wait for the update from HTC (yes, they do know about this bug). You can also try what menschmaschine5 posted above.

Aluminum

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the help, it was the HTC facebook app, I never even use it, I don't understand why it was using up data though

and HTC doesn't give a damn about this phone, they still never fix the battery bug, a bug that only charges to 90%, how the hell does a manufacturer release a phone like that and never bother to fix it

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I started getting the same notification on and off, also. I am looking in the manage apps section and I have an app that says "Dialer Storage" that is at 65 mb. What is the difference between that and "Contact Storage"? I am thinking of clearing the cache for the "Dialer Storage", but what is it? Will it erase my call log? Need help. It's like the check engine light of a car.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I installed the notenoughstorage app last night and not sure if I understand it. I created a 1gb partition on the emmc drive followed by moving several apps. This quickly removed my low space errors.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I found out what the Dialer Storage section. It is your text message storage. I cleared it and it erases all your texts. So I am a little miffed, but not too upset. At least the message stopped. So warning you. Dialer Storage is your text message storage.

Aluminum

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, I found out what the Dialer Storage section. It is your text message storage. I cleared it and it erases all your texts. So I am a little miffed, but not too upset. At least the message stopped. So warning you. Dialer Storage is your text message storage.

but will it erase handscent messages also just the stock HTC text app?

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it will erase Handcent messages, since I don't use Handcent as I am happy with the stock HTC messages app. I would look under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->tap all. Look for Dialer Storage. DON'T TOUCH CONTACT STORAGE! A friend of mine did that on his Fascinate last night and accidentally erased all his contact info. Luckily he had backup assistant. Handcent might have its own app section. The one good thing that came out of it is my texts load much faster.

Last edited:

drums84

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it will erase Handcent messages, since I don't use Handcent as I am happy with the stock HTC messages app. I would look under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->tap all. Look for Dialer Storage. DON'T TOUCH CONTACT STORAGE! A friend of mine did that on his Fascinate last night and accidentally erased all his contact info. Luckily he had backup assistant. Handcent might have its own app section. The one good thing that came out of it is my texts load much faster.

This will erase your Handcent messages also. I did this the other night because I had the same message. It took care of the message but it will erase all your messages.

sting0387

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue once I installed the leaked Rockband apk. It put my phone memory down into around 550 and no matter what I did I could not get it to go away. I cleaned caches, moved every app possible to the sd card etc etc. What I finally did was try CyanogenMod 7 and now I can install nearly 3x the amount of apps that I had with HTC 2.2 and I still have no low memory problem anymore. I won't be using HTC's stock software again until they fix this problem.

A common solution was to uninstall apps? What a joke. The whole idea of the extended app storage space they give us was to install apps ><. I had about maybe 30 apps installed before it stopped letting me add more and over the air market downloads wouldn't go through because of the low memory problem. Installed CM7, haven't had any problems since then and I'm not looking back at all.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
TRY THIS EASY FIX FIRST ...... had same problem noticed that my phone dialer was at 40 mb (that's huge ) erased my s load of stored text messages and dropped phone dialer down to 1.9mb and notification went away .... problem solved by erasing all all texts ......
SIDE NOTE FOR HANDCENT USERS

I have noticed that handcent does not erase big threads very efficiently.... go to the stock messaging app on your phone and erase your messages that way

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante