Thinking About Returning to Stock

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It has been a very long time since I have visited these forums and I've lost touch of everything that's been going on. Therefore I need some help concerning a possible unroot and how to remove a custom rom. I have froyo loaded and I'm using Virtuous v3.0.1. I never downloaded that small update from months past due to the custom rom. How important was that update?

Also not sure if this is a common Droid Incredible problem but whenever I send a SMS with a picture or any kind of media, the stock messaging app crashes repeatedly whenever I try to send and resend. Eventually, it will send without the app crashing. Is this due to ROM I'm using or is this common? Also seems that some of my texts might not be going through even though it says it's sent.

So finally my last question; update and stay rooted or return to stock? Thanks

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Before returning to stock, have you considered trying another rom? I have tried WarmZ, Skyraider, Carbonite Fusion, Virtuous, and CyanogenMod. I came back to CyanogenMod every time. Although Sense is nice, I decided I can live without it and CM7 really runs great. I will say that I have not had any SMS issues with any of the roms I've tried, so it may be an issue with the rom you are using. I have also discovered that some roms and certain apps don't get along well, so you might want to look at any apps you installed and then noticed the issue happening. Try removing that app(s) and see if it makes a difference.

If all else fails, give another rom a try.

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good. I also just did some quick research on my MMS and SMS errors. Turns out a factory reset will fix it. I decided I'm flashing to a new ROM in the process. Therefore is there anything important I need to do to factory reset such as removing Virtuous, having S-ON instead of S-OFF, or unrooting?

Lastly, just to be clear if I do need to unroot to factory reset, I need to remove ROM before unrooting correct? Thanks.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset just means your clearing the internal data partition as well as the cache and dalvik cache partitions, it forces you through the setup process again. There is no need to unroot or run s-on or anything like that. You might just want to try doing a reset with Virtuous first.

Make sure you back up and pictures or other data that may be on the internal memory. (The SD Card will be fine) Also make sure your contacts are backed up to google and that you have a list of your apps somewhere like appbrain or on a piece of paper. It will make the reset go much smoother.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually already started to unroot my phone while waiting for a reply lol. So far I've got S-ON and I'm about to flash to stock. At the that point I will do a factory reset for good measure and then try to figure out how to get this beast rooted again. I think unRevoked3 and unRevoked forever are the only two tools I need correct?

By the way, THANK YOU for reminding me to backup my photos and videos. I had all my contacts good and was just about to make the final step that would have deleted all of that.

Also, is it worth upgrading the antenna? I did before and it only confused me now. I feel like it's only going to complicate things more. It was hard enough to find a guide that fit exactly what I was trying to do.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Once you are back to stock - the factory reset has already been done. No need to do it again. To re-root, yes run unrevoked 3. It wil give you S-off as part of the process. No need to run the s-off tool.

Glad you got your pics first!

I would not mess with the radio unless there is a burning need to do so. I'm still running the Stock Froyo radio with no issues.

Krzr93

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I first loaded the Incredibly Re-Engineered ROM first. I was getting force closes with the lockscreen and internet seemed sluggish. I ran into a bit of problem with my SD card however. Was getting E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 whenever I tried to install a different ROM. Got it fixed after reformatting (which didn't fix the problem) and then doing a battery pull and removing SD card for a moment.

Now I'm on Skyraider 4.2. Seems good so far. By the way ucluglee or anyone else, why is CyanogenMod good? I know it's senseless (disappointing to me) but is it just really fast or are there some nice built in features as well?

Edit: I'm about to load up CyanogenMod. I went on their website and looked at their features. Looks really nice. The main appeal is the themes. It just seems so much more customizable, which is the whole point of me rooting and throwing ROMs on.

Last edited: