Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread

netnurse#AC

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Warning, if you have alarms setuped, using Advanced task killer will close the alarm program.

I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps

Go into Advanced Task Killer (the app not the widget) and exclude the programs you don't want to be killed on a routine basis such as alarms, e-mail, weather etc. You can accomplish this by long pressing on the app name and selecting "exclude".

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Can you move pictures and videos from the internal storage to the SD card without plugging into computer? I took a bunch before I switched it to save automatically to the card and can't figure out how to move them.. I'm probably an idiot but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Maybe try ASTRO File Manager. I haven't really messed with this program too much.. but I heard it's good for file managing? It's free and in the market place

sum spicy rice

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Vibrate notifications not working correct?

Kentoe helped me out. He found this trick:

"Originally Posted by kentoe
I FOUND THE FIX.

It requires the third party app HOWEVER you don't need to keep it.

Go to the market and download an app called "Sound Manager" by Daniel Roozen.

Once downloaded, launch the app, press menu, go to vibrate settings and there should be two options.

BOTH should be onto vibrate whenever possible. The bottom one was set to don't vibrate and was most likely set by another app I had previously downloaded.

My phone now vibrates when it should be.

Original find:http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...tml#post375888"

justapps

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope this helps someone. When using a file explorer utility such as Astro File Manager the SD Card will be noted as a folder called /sdcard and the internal phone memory will be one level up called /

When you connect the phone to a PC using USB, the SD Card will show up as a drive letter such as F: but the internal phone memory will be something like G:

What is interesting is that you cannot navigate to the / in USB mode. The G: is actually at /emmc and F: is /sdcard

I discovered this because I was trying to find my photos which are in /emmc/dcim in Astro but G:\dcim in Windows

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall App not in Market Downloads

If you have loaded an app that you want to remove and you didn't install it via Market, it might not exist int he downloads section to uninstall.

You can most likely uninstall it using

Code:
Seting -> Applications -> Manage Applications

Find it and then use it's uninstall to remove it.

Note that you cannot uninstall programs that are located on the ROM of the unit like (cityid). They are on the rom and not removable.

I had installed SlideME and decided that I didn't want to use it any more. Took me a while to figure this out.

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere else, but I've searched the forums and haven't found this anywhere. It's only helpful in specific situations.

If you have a long url, text, or random 18 digit alphanumeric code (UPS tracking number) that you'd rather not type into your phone, and you're next to your computer, you can convert the string (letters, numbers, text) into a QR code here QR-Code Generator and then just scan it with your phone.

It was useful for me when I got a shipping notice email at home and I wanted to check on the delivery (via UPS app) on the go.

Also, I was at work on a public computer that I didn't feel safe logging into my email account when I saw a web page I wanted to bookmark. It was a very long url, so I converted it into a QR code and pointed my phone at the screen.

I suppose if you have a long text message you wanted to send, you can also type it out first and then scan it in.

jermaine151

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Messages shortcut (wherever you happen to have it) >
tap the All Messages view >
Menu > Settings -- notice the "Delivery Reports" option listed twice (once for SMS, another time for MMS)

Delivery Reports
Request a delivery report for each message you send.

When your SMS is delivered, you'll get a little envelope icon with a green exclamation mark. That serves as the confirmation.

This is the second time I've seen this. It's not totally accurate. The envelope is NOT your delivery confirmation. Press and hold the message, immediately after sending and touch "View Report" and you will see that it is "Pending" not delivered. When you view the report and it reads "Received", that IS your delivery confirmation.

jermaine151

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Go into Advanced Task Killer (the app not the widget) and exclude the programs you don't want to be killed on a routine basis such as alarms, e-mail, weather etc. You can accomplish this by long pressing on the app name and selecting "exclude".

True, so the thing to do when you first open ATK is to look at which tasks you never want to kill, long press them and a menu will come up. Choose "Ignore" and they won't show up. Once you've ignored all the "want to stay open" tasks, you can open ATK and press the "Kill Selected Apps" button without a 2nd thought. :)

Angel_Shooter

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Press and hold the power button and a short menu will pop up to power off, change to silent, vibrate, airplane modes, and change mobile network connection.

jgurnett

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Handy little browser trick that I uncovered (may have been posted previously but I didn't see it)

When in the browswer, you can press the volume rocker up or down to perform the function of Page Up or Page Down respectively. Stupid little trick but does come in handy once in a while.

danielk

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps
I find it easier to press the application button (the uparrow in the circle) then press the ATK icon which gets you to the same place where you can un-select the apps you don't want to kill.

Freshy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see this posted, so apologies if common knowledge...

Coming from a Storm2, I thought the optical joystick was pretty much useless. The I discovered that if I'm on a webpage or one of my feeds, that scrolling up and down with the joystick highlights the each link on the page in succession, which you can then click. I love this feature...so much better than having to tap the links!

bogeyx5

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want to "Reject" a call and have the phone send a text message to the person who called, press the the menu key instead of "Answer" or "Decline" and another menu will pop up. From there, you can send a message to the caller.

Reactions: cubsncards

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Handy little browser trick that I uncovered (may have been posted previously but I didn't see it)

When in the browswer, you can press the volume rocker up or down to perform the function of Page Up or Page Down respectively. Stupid little trick but does come in handy once in a while.

didn't scroll for me. just vol up and down as usual. did i miss something?:confused:

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

that doesn't work for me. the ringer volume shows up. happens in portrait or landscape more.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
If you want to "Reject" a call and have the phone send a text message to the person who called, press the the menu key instead of "Answer" or "Decline" and another menu will pop up. From there, you can send a message to the caller.

you can also change what default message to send, and set an option to let you modify the message before sending.
SETTINGS, CALL, PHONE SETTINGS. both of the features i mentioned are in here.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
another tip, when you hit the SEARCH button on the bottom right, it will give you the option to search for something throughout your whole phone and internet. you can change what objects to search within.
SETTINGS, SEARCH, SEARCHABLE ITEMS.

If you hold the search button down for a few seconds, you can talk and search for something. or even do commands like "navigate to [contact name]", "call [contact name]", "map [then whatever you wanna look for in google maps]"

if you are within an app, like the PEOPLE app or google talk, and then hit Search, it will give you a search box to find stuff only within the app you are in. this is easier to find a contact in the People app rather than scrolling all the way down. and if you hit search twice while inside an app, it will change the search back to your universal search like from the home screen.

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
When using the camera...
To quickly select a point in the frame to auto focus on, simply touch that point and a small white square highlights the area. When the square turns green that selected area is in focus.

Reactions: buford07

eazid

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
anyone know how to copy and paste??

In the browser you longpress the screen. You then get a magnified view of where your finger is. It highlights the word(s). When you release you then get a field with handles. move them then hit the copy button you're given.

Report back.