Incredible continually reboots

sullyjam

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My daughter's phone (which in not under warranty) continually reboots. Can anyone help??? I've tried Hboot, clear settings, factory reset and even bought a new battery.... Help!!! Any suggestions??? Help is greatly appreciated as I've spent hours trying to figure this one out.

SscoootzZ

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed sully,

My fiancee's Dinc is stuck in a bootloop also. I've no idea why, either. After all, I'm the junkie that can't stop flashing ROMs on my DX. She's a pretty straightforward end-user, doesn't alter too much of anything, and when she finds a prog that she likes she sticks with it. I'm looking forward to reading more about this.

In our case, her Dinc is completely stock. This behavior happened once before but I was able to boot into recovery and restart her system after some poking around. The awkward part of this is that we needed to perform a FacRes to get operational again. As I recall, she rolled her eyes at the inconvenience and almost mentioned the "name that shan't be spoken," the !Phone (uggh, shiver me timbers!!).

So, we're looking for some sagely advice and guidance in this matter; we're looking for the input of superusers & mods who may have encountered similar events. Thanks in advance for any help.

Namast?,
SscoootzZ

Bucsfan76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
My phone has starting rebooting every once in a while in the last week and never had a problem with that before. I do notice whenever my phone reboots I am doing something and the battery is very hot and starting to swell. I called VZW and since the phone is still under warranty they are going to send me a new battery (free of charge.) I hope that is the problem??
I am running stock everything

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
a bad battery can be a cause of the rebooting issue you all mention, though sully mentions that he has already replaced the battery in his.

Another common reason for this is a rogue app or running out of space ie too many text messages, e-mails. The facebook app is another notorious culprit for crashing/running out of space.

Unfortunately, for stock phones, if you are stuck in the boot loop phase then you are most likely looking at a factory reset. you won't be able to get to anything useful in the factory recovery and you can't get the phone booted to uninstall a rogue app.

In the future, here is a link for how to back up the most important information on your phone.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/inc...id-incredible-gingerbread-ota.html#post980677

SscoooootZ - As far as the phone that shall not be named is concerned, they have their share of problems too. The "enforcers" are just better at silencing the dissenters than we are ;)

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
my phone had this problem . i went to the verizon store and they sent me a new battery that did not fix the problem so i went back and they just sent me a new phone since the battery exchange didn't work. No problems since

jmarias

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
We have two Dincs in the household, one rooted, one stock. Both started the same type of slowdown and reboot problem over the past couple of weeks. Finally narrowed it down to a recently dowloaded application in common, Stitcher Radio. I'm not saying it is a bad application but it definately didn' t get along with the two Dincs we have.

Jim

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a stock Dinc and have not installed any new apps in awhile, just updates to those I already have. My phone has been perfect since I got it on release date. I have been having the random reboot over the last two weeks, one time while using it and the others have been while it was sitting idol. I have the stock battery and two that I got when the phone was new and they are genuine HTC batteries but not for the Incredible. With the way I use my phone I put in a new battery about every other day and I have verified that the reboot has happened now on the stock battery and the other as well. I will be waiting for the new update and if that does not fix it I will finally root my phone.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a stock Dinc and have not installed any new apps in awhile, just updates to those I already have. My phone has been perfect since I got it on release date. I have been having the random reboot over the last two weeks, one time while using it and the others have been while it was sitting idol. I have the stock battery and two that I got when the phone was new and they are genuine HTC batteries but not for the Incredible. With the way I use my phone I put in a new battery about every other day and I have verified that the reboot has happened now on the stock battery and the other as well. I will be waiting for the new update and if that does not fix it I will finally root my phone.

You might want to clear out old text messages. I know some folks get up into the 1,000's and then trouble starts. Also clear old e-mail out if you do not already have your set to age off after a few days.

Clearing cache in the Browser, and other apps like games can help too.

Hope this helps.

Bucsfan76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You might want to clear out old text messages. I know some folks get up into the 1,000's and then trouble starts. Also clear old e-mail out if you do not already have your set to age off after a few days.

Clearing cache in the Browser, and other apps like games can help too.

Hope this helps.

I have tried all the above and still have reboot problems. The only new apps I have downloaded in the last 2 weeks have been the Bowling app from amazon and Zedge and any update in the market. I should have my new battery from VZW today or tomorrow so we will see what happens

lwirtjes

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue, new batt did not fix nor did a factory reset.

I could watch a youtube vid for about 4min then it would go into a reboot loop.
phone would be hot, and you had to remove the batt to stop the loop.

Today I decided to remove my SD card and run the phone that way....I could now watch a youtube vid, without a reboot or the phone getting hot.

So I copied all the data off my card, reformatted it, and added my pic's and music back.

NO ISSUES as of yet.

Hope this helps someone

Bucsfan76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I received my new battery the other day and installed it. The phone still has the rebooting problems just like everyone has said. I took the phone back to the VZW salesman that sold me the phone and he asked if I did any downloads lately or completed any updates. I told him the other day there was an update to slacker radio and he told me to uninstall that app since a lot of people have had problems with that app. before removing slacker I couldn't play more than 2 rounds of angry birds, watch a you tube video without the phone re-booting. It has now been six hours and have I played games for most of that time and the phone has not re-booted once.
I hope that was it

lwirtjes

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue, new batt did not fix nor did a factory reset.

I could watch a youtube vid for about 4min then it would go into a reboot loop.
phone would be hot, and you had to remove the batt to stop the loop.

Today I decided to remove my SD card and run the phone that way....I could now watch a youtube vid, without a reboot or the phone getting hot.

So I copied all the data off my card, reformatted it, and added my pic's and music back.

NO ISSUES as of yet.

Hope this helps someone

I forgot to come back and update, but this did NOT fix my issue

called VW and they sent me a referb phone, last week....guess what...its doing the same thing.
tried new batt, and SD card, factory reset....I even went so far as to root and tried different kernles and ROM, and even radio flashes...
This is nothing more then a hardware issue, so now VW is sending me my 3rd dinc, and will continue to do so until they give me one that works.

NOTE: I tend to go into reboot cycle when I try and use data..youtube, web, not so much facebook.

glad I got the extended warranty.

chadnles

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My wife's phone has had this problem all Summer long. I've tried new battery and factory reset to no avail. I've narrowed it down to a hardware issue when the phone gets hot. I noticed that every time we spent time outside in the sun and heat, the phone would go into a boot loop and nothing including removing and replacing the battery would make it stop. I would have to remove the battery and allow the phone to cool off. Air conditioners or coolers worked well. After cooling and ONLY after cooling, I would replace the battery and the phone would boot once and begin working again.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem since at least august. It finally became so frustrating that I called vzw to complain. After going through the problem, the tech support person acknowledged that it sounded like a hardware problem and sent me a new phone (am still under warranty). Hopefully the new phone will work, but I'm not holding my breath.

oletheos

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
sigh. i was hoping you guys had better news. back in june on a trip to texas my phone overheated and started boot looping. got it cooled down and working. but ever since if it gets too hot it starts all over again, and its mainly when web surfing. texting alot or fb doesn't really hit it, but yesterday watching arstechnica's iphone blog my phone rebooted 4 times in a hour, all from heat, and today on lunch same thing. just surging and the temp would get out of control until it cooled down.
sounds like even going to V wont help anything because the odds are almost every dinc seems to reach this point.
blah.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've observed that the rebooting typically happens when I've used the 3G network for a bit - this device has always gotten warm when using the mobile data network, much more so than when I'm connected to a wifi network, and I suspect it's just gotten to the point where the heat over time has caused the hardware to wear. I would guess that this is a design flaw with the device itself, and that no matter what the user does, at some point the device will fail.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49