05-04-2010 08:36 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    Yes, excellent review fillossofer. I wrote a little piece on task managers in the FAQ sticky if you're interested.
    After reading your post, I think I'll just wing it and let things take care of themselves. I've often thought, if task managers were necessary, manufacturers would likely include them from the start, like Microsoft does.
    04-22-2010 12:31 PM
    After reading and watching these review I am sold and will be waiting in line on the release date My wife will be very happy too because she will get my Droid and ditch her BB Tour.

Thanks for the reviews guys
    04-22-2010 02:45 PM
    I really like the touchscreen, it's very responsive. The virtual qwerty is also great, I sent out afew sms on it, and didn't touch a wrong key once. Any other touchscreen, I'll hit the wrong key everytime.

I really like the Leap and FriendStream features, it's insanely fast on the web browser, and the search by voice is just way too cool.

I can't wait to own this!!
    04-22-2010 03:42 PM
    The days are counting down and after reading fillosoffer's review it's making me feel like I should ditch my BB 9000 and jump ship from AT&T to verizon. Initially I was debating between the Evo 4G and this but I haven't heard anything good from anyone I know about Sprint's service. Plus I'm sure Verizon's LTE service will boast Sprint's 4G. Decisions, decisions...
    04-22-2010 08:17 PM
    I'll start another "win a case" thread, just for you
    Haha just make sure I win
    I still have the pouch too! I switch between it and my holster. I love this thing lol
    Thanks
    04-22-2010 08:34 PM
    I was one of the lucky ones to get my Incredible yesterday, so I've just finished my first 24-hours with the device. My last phone was a BB Storm and the phone before that a Motorola Q (both first gen, so I deserve this Incredible). I had no experience with Android before yesterday. Here are my initial observations in no particular order:
    The phone is not heavy. I think that is why some people might think it feels plasticy, but I think the fit and finish is superb, and the overall construction solid. The screen is excellent, but very hard to see outside. Maybe there is a setting for brightness that could help outdoors, but I have mine set to automatic so I'm assuming it is boosting brightness when I take it outside. The camera shoots fast, and the pics look great so far. Videos shoot and playback great. I haven't played with all the settings yet, but they seem very easy to use. I was extremely impressed with the setup of the device. My office uses Google Apps, so I'm sure that eased some of the pain, but within seven minutes I had my work and personal email set up, and my calendar and contacts synced. I entered a few user/pass combinations for various sites and it set up my facebook and started matching my contacts with their facebook profile pics. I popped my SD card straight out of my BB and into the Incredible and bingo, photos, videos and music were all sorted out. A friend called me and immediately asked if I got a new phone! I said yes and he said it sounded ten times better than my Storm. Last night I played with some of the stock apps and voice to text input and it is amazing. Downloaded some stuff from the App market like Google Sky Maps and that is downright incredible (you didn't think I'd make it all the way through this without one, did you?). Today is the first day I can test battery life, so I will hold off on judgment for now. Being used to keeping an eye on my memory resources on the Storm, I'm kinda interested to see how much what I'm doing is taxing the device, but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet. I'm trying to tell myself not to concern myself with that, as I haven't experienced any slowness, lags or anything but pure speed. The browser is the biggest single improvement over the Storm. It loads quickly, renders properly and has had no issues with any of the sites I've visited yet. I didn't realize until I maxed it out, that it has multiple browser windows. The optical trackpad works very well. I still don't know how much I'll use it, as the touch is perfection, but I do like having the option. My wife and daughter just loved how my phone had rain drops on the screen yesterday because it was raining outside yesterday - which I also didn't have to set up. I just allowed it to do location based stuff and it put the weather on the home screen.

I know there is a ton of stuff I haven't even discovered yet, much of it probably stock Android, and as for that, I can't wait. This thing is miles beyond BlackBerry.

I did already break a small piece of plastic that surrounds the USB port. BE CAREFUL inserting the cable, as the plastic surround piece is tiny. I'm probably just a dolt, but clearly that area of the phone will get abused over time, so I think that piece should have been made more sturdily.

Feel free to reply with any specific questions you have.

Please keep us informed regarding the visibility of the screen. Is it hard to see just outside, or in any bright room as well ?

Can you text both vertically and horizontally on the phone ?

Does it feel sturdy ?

thanks for the great review. I bought a Droid 2 weeks ago and trying to decide if I want to return it for the Incredible.
    04-22-2010 08:58 PM
    Today I realized that I in fact did not have the brightness set to automatic, but rather the lowest manual setting. So when I changed it to automatic, I was pleasantly surprised. There is no real issue (IMHO) with visibility outside. I brought it out in sunlight today and was able to operate the phone without any problems.

You can indeed text either vertically (portrait) or horizontally (landscape).

I personally like the feel of the phone. I think it feels solid.
    04-22-2010 09:05 PM
    fillossofer, great review!

How about the Incredible's signal strength? I've been researching and found HTC phones not so stellar signal strength.

Thanks in advance!

BTW: I currently own a Storm and can't wait to try something new.
    04-22-2010 09:10 PM
    I happen to live in an area with a pretty weak signal. I did have it drop a call today while inside my house. I think that compares with my Storm, but I've only had it a day and a half now. In my travels over the last day and a half I have not had any other dropped calls or signal strength issues. As for data, that was always a little sketchy on my Storm from in the house. The Incredible is super fast. Maybe that's the better browser or not having to go through BIS, but whatever it is, it is way better. I thought I might need to use wi-fi in my house, but I have not.
    04-22-2010 10:19 PM
    I happen to live in an area with a pretty weak signal. I did have it drop a call today while inside my house. I think that compares with my Storm, but I've only had it a day and a half now. In my travels over the last day and a half I have not had any other dropped calls or signal strength issues. As for data, that was always a little sketchy on my Storm from in the house. The Incredible is super fast. Maybe that's the better browser or not having to go through BIS, but whatever it is, it is way better. I thought I might need to use wi-fi in my house, but I have not.
    So the Incredible's and Storm's signal performance are about the same in your area, sweet (but hope that your area's signal strength improves).

Thanks for the reply.
    04-22-2010 10:40 PM
    when i watch some of the review videos of the moto droid and htc incredible the moto droid seems to have full bar signal vs the incredible with 2-3 bars? weird...hopefully everything will be gOOD
    04-22-2010 10:57 PM
    Man i cant wait to get this phone.
    04-22-2010 10:59 PM
    have you tried a *228 option 2?

it helps sometimes...
    04-23-2010 04:08 AM
    have you tried a *228 option 2?

it helps sometimes...
    I just did that, thanks for reminding me.

Man, this thing is stupid fast! With my Storm, if I had the phone to my ear and needed to use the dialpad, it would take a couple of seconds for the screen to turn on. The Incredible turns back on before I can even get it to a point where I can see it.

Last night I downloaded a bunch of apps from the market and was playing with more of the settings. Loving it!

I'm going to watch battery life today. Yesterday I had it hooked up to the USB for a bit, so it got some juice partway through the day. At midnight last night I had two bars left (out of about ten) on the battery detail screen. I'm going to keep it off the juice today and see what happens. I'll report back.
    04-23-2010 08:18 AM
    I'm going to be completely useless at work for the first 5 to 7 days of owning this thing.
    04-23-2010 09:02 AM
    Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. we then started talking back and forth about the pros and cons of this device compared to the droid.

1. This phone does NOT feel flimsy or cheap as some people have said. Compared to a droid it is lighter. But it is more sleek, less sharp edges and slides in and out of my pocket effortlessly. it sits in my hand nicely as well. easy to hold when typing. and while holding it against my face.

2. Signal strength. People have been speculating saying that the HTC will have inferior signal strength compared to the droid. I set both devices on a surface for a few minutes and let them acclimate. Both devices had the same signal strength they were both at 3 bars.

3. no more physical keyboard. Big whoop. it really isn't a big deciding factor for me because i hardly use the physical one on the droid. The virtual keyboard software for the incredible is far superior to the software that comes on the droid. typing a message proved easy and accurate. having no keyboard also means no more sliding mechanism. which means this thing wont come open in my pocket like my droid often does wasting precious battery life.

4. touch screen. VERY VERY nice. it feels very accurate. it handles my gestures much better than my droid.

5. wow is it fast. That snapdragon processor is great. this thing is wicket fast. On my droid, if you do a long press on the main screen and want to add a new application. there is a slight pause between pressing "applications" and when they actually show up, even with no other programs running. doing the same test on the incredible is instant. no lag. no delay. just simply does it. going in and out of applications is very fast as well. and turning the phone sideways to landscape is very fluid and fast.

6. Camera. it takes pictures much faster than my droid. although i cant speculate on quality too much, but it does have that 8mp camera when the droid has 5mp. so im sure it is much better. Unlike the droid that has a dedicated camera button (which chips paint off easily Ive read) the incredible does not have one, but i used the virtual joysticks depress function to take a picture very easily.

7. Virtual joystick. or whatever they call it. Proves handy in some situations, like taking a picture. its very easy to get used to (took me a minute or two) and it has a depress function as well so you can use it to select things. nice addition to the phone.

8. Battery. cant speculate much. it was fully charged when i got it and didnt change when i was done. Although some people say it will be worse than the droid. i think that is a chance i will have to take.

9. Sense UI. although i wasn't able to test much of the features of sense UI out since the phone was set up for someone else. i can tell you i like the idea of it very much. i think it will prove very easy to use and handy. the fact that the phone has 7 home screens to begin with, and has additional "scenes" means you could technically have an unlimited amount of screens filled with icons.

10. Phone dialer. What an improvement over the droid phone dialer. First off. the sense UI puts the phone icon right on the bottom of the screen all the time when in your home screens. so it is easy to access. the droid requires you to have the icon placed on one of your screens and unless you have helix launcher you have to go to that screen to use it.

also finding a contact is much easier. something my blackberry had was just start typing someones name in the dialer and it will come up then press send. the droid has this, but it requires you to flip open the physical keyboard and be in the contacts tab of the phone dialer. kinda annoying. the incredible's phone dialer is like my blackberry. i simply start typing the first few letters of a persons name and it shows up. press send. and boom its dialing. Awesome.

11. like many touch screen phones i think a screen protector will be necessary to avoid scratches to this things beautiful large touch screen. i think ghost-armor or phantom skinz will do the job nicely.

My overall impression after walking out of the store is still awesome. The phone is fantastic. If anyone is on the border of trading their droid for an incredible i suggest you go play with one and determine for yourself if you like it or not. I am lucky that my droid is still within its 30 day trial period so i can swap for the incredible for a simple $35 restocking fee.

I hope this helps guys. later.
    04-23-2010 03:29 PM
    Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. ......
    Thanks for report. Sounds like something I'll be going down to look at next Thursday for sure.
    04-23-2010 04:11 PM
    I was one of the lucky ones to get my Incredible yesterday, so I've just finished my first 24-hours with the device. My last phone was a BB Storm and the phone before that a Motorola Q (both first gen, so I deserve this Incredible)...

I popped my SD card straight out of my BB and into the Incredible and bingo, photos, videos and music were all sorted out.

Feel free to reply with any specific questions you have.
    Wow - my BF has a Storm and is a little anxious about moving over to the Incredible. It took him a LONG time to get used to the Storm (came from an EnV type phone). I'm glad your experience was positive and painless. Maybe this will ease his concerns.

Thanks for your great review!!! Enjoy your Incredible!
    04-23-2010 06:08 PM
    Ok so i just got back from a local Verizon store that let me play with a new HTC incredible. my initial judgment is awesome. The manager was very nice and allowed me to play with the device for nearly 45 minutes. we then started talking back and forth about the pros and cons of this device compared to the droid.
    Nice review! Thanks for putting that together.

Also a great review. The battery life comment has me a little concerned. I hope they release an OEM battery as an accessory ASAP.
    04-24-2010 11:04 AM
    Here's a pretty good review.

Phone Arena, for some reason, absolutely despises the design of the Incredible saying it has an "uninspiring design" and has a "somewhat cheap feel". They gave its design a score of 6.5/10 on their review bringing the overall score down to 8.8/10 which is under the Nexus One's 9/10.

A little ridiculous if you ask me. Just because it's light it has to feel cheap?
    04-24-2010 11:47 AM
    Yea i disagree with the claims that the incredible feels cheap. i played with one yesterday and it felt very sold. Its definitely lighter than the droid. but feels well made.
    04-24-2010 12:23 PM
    I'm back with a report about battery life. Of course this is just one person's experience, so take it for what you will. In three days of heavy use, I have found myself having to charge the Incredible at around 12-hours. I'm thinking that after the newness wears off a little and I stop trying to show everyone I meet the Google Sky app, I will be able to make it through the day on a full charge.
    04-24-2010 06:15 PM
    I'm back with a report about battery life. Of course this is just one person's experience, so take it for what you will. In three days of heavy use, I have found myself having to charge the Incredible at around 12-hours. I'm thinking that after the newness wears off a little and I stop trying to show everyone I meet the Google Sky app, I will be able to make it through the day on a full charge.
    I'm hearing mixed reports on battery life, but what you're saying sounds pretty good. Thanks for letting us know.
    04-24-2010 06:39 PM
    what do you have your brightness and back light timeout set too?

I found that my droid was struggling through a day with moderate use with the brightness on automatic and the timeout set to 1 minute.

i took the brightness off auto, and changed the timeout to 30 seconds and saw a lot more usage time out of the phone.
    04-24-2010 07:33 PM
    Found the cut and paste function by accident.. In the browser, I tapped on a paragraph (no idea why) and it highlighted the text. From there you can copy to clipboard, search key words from the text, send as link. I'll double check, as I did find this by accident.

I also made a clip on my phone of my Pandora use on the device, good sound!
    04-25-2010 09:04 AM
103 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD