Incredible Review Thread

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
[...] I was extremely impressed with the setup of the device. My office uses Google Apps, so I'm sure that eased some of the pain, but within seven minutes I had my work and personal email set up, and my calendar and contacts synced. I entered a few user/pass combinations for various sites and it set up my facebook and started matching my contacts with their facebook profile pics. I popped my SD card straight out of my BB and into the Incredible and bingo, photos, videos and music were all sorted out. A friend called me and immediately asked if I got a new phone! I said yes and he said it sounded ten times better than my Storm. Last night I played with some of the stock apps and voice to text input and it is amazing. Downloaded some stuff from the App market like Google Sky Maps and that is downright incredible (you didn't think I'd make it all the way through this without one, did you?). Today is the first day I can test battery [...]

Shortened it because it was so long lol

That is the best review i have read yet.
A new person to the android world having a great experience with the phone.
Just shows how easy it can be to use android.
Great review.

Jesus, this review makes me want to get this phone.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Put up some money and maybe I will :p
Nah I will if/when I get the job. First thing I'm gonna do lol
Best believe. Technology is my crack!

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, excellent review fillossofer. I wrote a little piece on task managers in the FAQ sticky if you're interested.

After reading your post, I think I'll just wing it and let things take care of themselves. I've often thought, if task managers were necessary, manufacturers would likely include them from the start, like Microsoft does. ;)

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
After reading and watching these review I am sold and will be waiting in line on the release date :) My wife will be very happy too because she will get my Droid and ditch her BB Tour.

Thanks for the reviews guys

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I really like the touchscreen, it's very responsive. The virtual qwerty is also great, I sent out afew sms on it, and didn't touch a wrong key once. Any other touchscreen, I'll hit the wrong key everytime.

I really like the Leap and FriendStream features, it's insanely fast on the web browser, and the search by voice is just way too cool.

I can't wait to own this!! :D

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The days are counting down and after reading fillosoffer's review it's making me feel like I should ditch my BB 9000 and jump ship from AT&T to verizon. Initially I was debating between the Evo 4G and this but I haven't heard anything good from anyone I know about Sprint's service. Plus I'm sure Verizon's LTE service will boast Sprint's 4G. Decisions, decisions...

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I was one of the lucky ones to get my Incredible yesterday, so I've just finished my first 24-hours with the device. My last phone was a BB Storm and the phone before that a Motorola Q (both first gen, so I deserve this Incredible). I had no experience with Android before yesterday. Here are my initial observations in no particular order:
The phone is not heavy. I think that is why some people might think it feels plasticy, but I think the fit and finish is superb, and the overall construction solid. The screen is excellent, but very hard to see outside. Maybe there is a setting for brightness that could help outdoors, but I have mine set to automatic so I'm assuming it is boosting brightness when I take it outside. The camera shoots fast, and the pics look great so far. Videos shoot and playback great. I haven't played with all the settings yet, but they seem very easy to use. I was extremely impressed with the setup of the device. My office uses Google Apps, so I'm sure that eased some of the pain, but within seven minutes I had my work and personal email set up, and my calendar and contacts synced. I entered a few user/pass combinations for various sites and it set up my facebook and started matching my contacts with their facebook profile pics. I popped my SD card straight out of my BB and into the Incredible and bingo, photos, videos and music were all sorted out. A friend called me and immediately asked if I got a new phone! I said yes and he said it sounded ten times better than my Storm. Last night I played with some of the stock apps and voice to text input and it is amazing. Downloaded some stuff from the App market like Google Sky Maps and that is downright incredible (you didn't think I'd make it all the way through this without one, did you?). Today is the first day I can test battery life, so I will hold off on judgment for now. Being used to keeping an eye on my memory resources on the Storm, I'm kinda interested to see how much what I'm doing is taxing the device, but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet. I'm trying to tell myself not to concern myself with that, as I haven't experienced any slowness, lags or anything but pure speed. The browser is the biggest single improvement over the Storm. It loads quickly, renders properly and has had no issues with any of the sites I've visited yet. I didn't realize until I maxed it out, that it has multiple browser windows. The optical trackpad works very well. I still don't know how much I'll use it, as the touch is perfection, but I do like having the option. My wife and daughter just loved how my phone had rain drops on the screen yesterday because it was raining outside yesterday - which I also didn't have to set up. I just allowed it to do location based stuff and it put the weather on the home screen.

I know there is a ton of stuff I haven't even discovered yet, much of it probably stock Android, and as for that, I can't wait. This thing is miles beyond BlackBerry.

I did already break a small piece of plastic that surrounds the USB port. BE CAREFUL inserting the cable, as the plastic surround piece is tiny. I'm probably just a dolt, but clearly that area of the phone will get abused over time, so I think that piece should have been made more sturdily.

Feel free to reply with any specific questions you have.

Please keep us informed regarding the visibility of the screen. Is it hard to see just outside, or in any bright room as well ?

Can you text both vertically and horizontally on the phone ?

Does it feel sturdy ?

thanks for the great review. I bought a Droid 2 weeks ago and trying to decide if I want to return it for the Incredible.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Today I realized that I in fact did not have the brightness set to automatic, but rather the lowest manual setting. So when I changed it to automatic, I was pleasantly surprised. There is no real issue (IMHO) with visibility outside. I brought it out in sunlight today and was able to operate the phone without any problems.

You can indeed text either vertically (portrait) or horizontally (landscape).

I personally like the feel of the phone. I think it feels solid.

sgtmilstack

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
fillossofer, great review!

How about the Incredible's signal strength? I've been researching and found HTC phones not so stellar signal strength.

Thanks in advance!

BTW: I currently own a Storm and can't wait to try something new.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I happen to live in an area with a pretty weak signal. I did have it drop a call today while inside my house. I think that compares with my Storm, but I've only had it a day and a half now. In my travels over the last day and a half I have not had any other dropped calls or signal strength issues. As for data, that was always a little sketchy on my Storm from in the house. The Incredible is super fast. Maybe that's the better browser or not having to go through BIS, but whatever it is, it is way better. I thought I might need to use wi-fi in my house, but I have not.

sgtmilstack

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I happen to live in an area with a pretty weak signal. I did have it drop a call today while inside my house. I think that compares with my Storm, but I've only had it a day and a half now. In my travels over the last day and a half I have not had any other dropped calls or signal strength issues. As for data, that was always a little sketchy on my Storm from in the house. The Incredible is super fast. Maybe that's the better browser or not having to go through BIS, but whatever it is, it is way better. I thought I might need to use wi-fi in my house, but I have not.

So the Incredible's and Storm's signal performance are about the same in your area, sweet (but hope that your area's signal strength improves).

Thanks for the reply.

cusco

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
when i watch some of the review videos of the moto droid and htc incredible the moto droid seems to have full bar signal vs the incredible with 2-3 bars? weird...hopefully everything will be gOOD :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

have you tried a *228 option 2?

it helps sometimes...

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
have you tried a *228 option 2?

it helps sometimes...

I just did that, thanks for reminding me.

Man, this thing is stupid fast! With my Storm, if I had the phone to my ear and needed to use the dialpad, it would take a couple of seconds for the screen to turn on. The Incredible turns back on before I can even get it to a point where I can see it.

Last night I downloaded a bunch of apps from the market and was playing with more of the settings. Loving it!

I'm going to watch battery life today. Yesterday I had it hooked up to the USB for a bit, so it got some juice partway through the day. At midnight last night I had two bars left (out of about ten) on the battery detail screen. I'm going to keep it off the juice today and see what happens. I'll report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol