Which ROM to load on my refurb replacement?

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my Fascinate and broke the internal screen last week. I didn't feel like waiting on Geek Squad for 3-4 weeks to repair mine, so I went with a refurb replacement. I'll have the replacement tomorrow evening. I was previously running CR 2.1 with the ComaVolt voodoo kernal IIRC. I haven't been active for quite some time, so I'm not sure what's the best/most stable ROM at this point. I know ComRom was very popular for a while after release, but it doesn't seem to be talked about much anymore. I'm not sure yet what radio, etc, is gonna be flashed on this replacement either.

So, which ROM should I look at? Thanks for your input.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is allowed(I hope it is), but i'm running a custom rom I found over at xda forums called powerwash which is based on the latest leak that doesn't fry your sd card. Working great on the wife's phone. Easy to install too through odin. Prerooted, debloated, gps fixed, and awesome GB animations included, like crtv screen off, etc.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you're fine with posting that, as I don't think ccampos (the dev) has his PWGB thread over here. If you liked ComRom, Nitsuj17 from TSM has a new one out over at xda called TSM Resurrection. It has TSM parts, CRT on/off, debloated, deodexed, etc. I only flashed it this morning, but I've tried both PWGB and GW 2.1, and both were unstable. Not sure what's going to happen here, but so far so good.

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I should spend a little time over at xda to see what's available now and what seems to be stable. There doesn't seem to be as much discussion over here about this phone anymore. I'm not even sure what PWGB and GW 2.1 are.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget here too: Fascinate Developer Forum

I am using PWGB and I'm happy, but I'm really tempted to give Resurrection a shot as I do feel a loyalty to the TSM crew. The issues I'm having now are minor - I a lock up here and there and issues with Google Maps. If I knew the grass was truly greener I'd give it a go. If I knew for sure that I could safely restore from Titanium from PWGB to Resurection I'd feel safer making the move.

Discussion is a bit lacking here, but things are actually pretty exciting from my perspective. We have several very nice GB mods in development with some great VOODOO kernels as well - at the same time there great stuff going on on the MTD side of the force with CM7 and MIUI (and Pool Party).

I am guessing some of the reason is that most are pretty happy with what's available and it's working for them?

murdoc

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just flashed PWGB a few days ago. Runs great. I'm thinking of trying out TSM Resurrection and Pool Party. Can I just flash over PWGB with the usual wiping of data, etc...? Can I use CWM 2.5.whatever I have?, or for Pool Party do I need CWM4?

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so I think I'll try one of the TSM variations. What are the differences?

Once I got my replacement setup it did the OTA to ED05 2.2.2, so that's where I sit now. Unfortunately since most everyone doing these changes are experienced the instructions aren't necessarily clear step-by-step for people like me who haven't done this in quite some time. I don't like being "that guy" asking for help when it's out there, I just need to spend some time sorting through the threads and figure out which version CWM is required/where to find it, if the ROM includes kernel, if I can start from ED05, etc.

Thanks for your help so far.

spinwizard

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're still searching....take the stock update you have, root it... put Rom Mgr on it, then install the CM 7.1 It's Cyanogenmod's 7.1 and STABLE! 2.3.7 GB with JT1134's 2.6.35.12 kernel. I've tried several of the other MTD's as well. The MIUI, the OMFGB, the CM7 nightlys and this is the one that works best for me. for now ;)

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I went to PWGB for now. I was going to do TSM Res, but people are reporting reboot issues so I'll hold off for a little bit. If I feel frisky I may try CM7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol