Help a noob out.

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I am ignorant in the ways of forum etiquette and rooting, so please forgive my faux pas. I have a number of general questions; if anyone could help me I would appreciate it. First, some short background.

My Fascinate is running a rooted stock ED05, froyo 2.2.2. I used the ADB method outlined in DroidXcon?s 4th post in the Stickys. Earlier this month I just happened to see Gingerbread getting pushed to my phone, so I immediately killed 3G and froze Innopath Activecare with Bloat Freezer (didn?t want the constant nagging prompts to update without actually being able to do so). I?m only rooted for the purpose of debloating.

1. Will an ADB root for Gingerbread ever be developed? I know these things take time, I guess my question is?is it possible? I don?t use ODIN because I don?t want any ROM alteration (haven?t taken that plunge yet?maybe some day).

2. To gain experience, I might want to un-root my phone, update to GB, and then wipe. How does my phone update? Does it update in steps? If I were to do a factory reset would it update straight to Gingerbread, or would it update to Froyo and then Gingerbread? I want to know I can get back to a rooted Froyo. I would absolutely love to use CWM recovery for nandroid backup but I have the type of stock recovery that requires packages be signed (forgive me; this is where I?ll probably start to sound stupid). I also read that after CWM is flashed, nandroid backup has issues on the Fascinate, so I figured why bother. I have Titanimu Backup and I take screenshots for a kind of visual backup, so in theory I could put everything back the way it?s supposed to be.

3. Lots more, but this could get obscenely long, so I?ll stop here. Thanks!

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I am ignorant in the ways of forum etiquette and rooting, so please forgive my faux pas. I have a number of general questions; if anyone could help me I would appreciate it. First, some short background.

My Fascinate is running a rooted stock ED05, froyo 2.2.2. I used the ADB method outlined in DroidXcon?s 4th post in the Stickys. Earlier this month I just happened to see Gingerbread getting pushed to my phone, so I immediately killed 3G and froze Innopath Activecare with Bloat Freezer (didn?t want the constant nagging prompts to update without actually being able to do so). I?m only rooted for the purpose of debloating.

1. Will an ADB root for Gingerbread ever be developed? I know these things take time, I guess my question is?is it possible? I don?t use ODIN because I don?t want any ROM alteration (haven?t taken that plunge yet?maybe some day).

2. To gain experience, I might want to un-root my phone, update to GB, and then wipe. How does my phone update? Does it update in steps? If I were to do a factory reset would it update straight to Gingerbread, or would it update to Froyo and then Gingerbread? I want to know I can get back to a rooted Froyo. I would absolutely love to use CWM recovery for nandroid backup but I have the type of stock recovery that requires packages be signed (forgive me; this is where I?ll probably start to sound stupid). I also read that after CWM is flashed, nandroid backup has issues on the Fascinate, so I figured why bother. I have Titanimu Backup and I take screenshots for a kind of visual backup, so in theory I could put everything back the way it?s supposed to be.

3. Lots more, but this could get obscenely long, so I?ll stop here. Thanks!

1. The ADB root for EH03 is available over at XDA in the thread for the stock leak from last month.

2.Unless you ODIN back down to 2.1, a factory reset will keep you on Froyo, and if you have the stock recovery on your phone, it should also unroot. The OTA update will download completely ad then prompt you to start it. After it does its thing, your phone will reboot and be running EH03 GB. As for CWM and Nandroid issues, if you use CWM 2.5.x you will have no issues there.

Reactions: Ataraxia212

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
once you get comfy with CWM there is a root package via that way. Which is so easy. Also If you do go the custom rom route(which I dont know why you wouldnt) this is all done via CWM. Also they all come pre-rooted so you would just flash the rom of your choice and then boom bloat gone BING gone! and rooted! Take advantage of this glorious phone in all of its greatness

Reactions: Ataraxia212

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi bigjobber69, thanks for the encouragement! Last night, I finally conquered my paralyzing (irrational) fear of ODIN! Once I made the distinction between flashing a custom recovery and flashing a ROM I was a little more comfortable. I thought If I rooted with CWM it would wipe my data, but I did more reading and realized that was not the case.

I unfroze all my apps with Bloat Freezer and temp unrooted with OTA RootKeeper, then OTA updated to Gingerbread. I flashed CWM, booted into recovery and installed su-2.3.6.1.x.zip. I can't believe how easy it was. I even have a nandroid backup created! :D

So, if I do decide to start flashing custom ROMs, what should I start with? What do you like?

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
It all depends what you like. I hate Touchwiz, So I was on CM7 for awhile and loved it greatly. I am now on ICS which is my new love. If you like TW there are some great roms out there for that. Im just not up to date on them. I recommend trying a few out. Now that you have a nandroid(remember will only work on the rom and kernel you were on when u made it) I would play around and find out what you like. Make sure to wipe Data,Cache and dalvik when switching roms. Also and most importantly READ READ READ. It seems you are good at that part so i dont need to tell you but will anyways. HAPPY FLASHING, also since you now know how to odin dont worry if you screw something up because you can fix it simply now.

KevinPhelps11

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, don't be scared to use Odin. Look on xda for the EH03 full package. It can save your phone and put you back to full stock if you need to start over.

ryangur

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi bigjobber69, thanks for the encouragement! Last night, I finally conquered my paralyzing (irrational) fear of ODIN! Once I made the distinction between flashing a custom recovery and flashing a ROM I was a little more comfortable. I thought If I rooted with CWM it would wipe my data, but I did more reading and realized that was not the case.

I unfroze all my apps with Bloat Freezer and temp unrooted with OTA RootKeeper, then OTA updated to Gingerbread. I flashed CWM, booted into recovery and installed su-2.3.6.1.x.zip. I can't believe how easy it was. I even have a nandroid backup created! :D

So, if I do decide to start flashing custom ROMs, what should I start with? What do you like?

im a fan of miui.. the force close is an issue sometimes, but if you buy full version of RomManager (which is by far the best 6 dollars ive ever spent) you can fix the permissions. major skins can be used in abundance. They update every friday.. but havent since 12/9 because they are waiting for cm9 and ics for it. but i love it.. i will not ever change away from it.. it has the tethering built in and is native to the rom. And they have tons, of mods, which are interchangeable.. check them out.. miui.us

Just me though, cm7 isnt terrible, infinity biff is good, and so is jt's vanilla.. but to me miui is what i like..

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
im a fan of miui.. the force close is an issue sometimes, but if you buy full version of RomManager (which is by far the best 6 dollars ive ever spent) you can fix the permissions. major skins can be used in abundance. They update every friday.. but havent since 12/9 because they are waiting for cm9 and ics for it. but i love it.. i will not ever change away from it.. it has the tethering built in and is native to the rom. And they have tons, of mods, which are interchangeable.. check them out.. miui.us

Just me though, cm7 isnt terrible, infinity biff is good, and so is jt's vanilla.. but to me miui is what i like..

Folks have to keep in mind these are all MTD ROMS you have mentioned, which are different beasts, and getting to them takes a little extra care. The steps are clearly outlined at XDA, just read, read, read. I've found most of the MTD ROMS too sketchy for my tastes (used MIUI and TSM Pool Party), but they are very cool. And ROM Manager is for MTD ROMS only, you will not find the TouchWiz/non-MTD ROMS in ROM manager (Superclean, TSM Resurrection, are just two examples of the newer, non-MTD ROMS)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci